The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-25-2003, 06:00 PM

Default I'm feeling a little veclempt...

I'll give you a topic: An SWR Strawberry Blonde amp is neither a strawberry, nor is it blonde. Tawk amongst yerselves.

Seriously, any opinions on this amp with the ES or with a regular acoustic pickup would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Brian
Old 06-25-2003, 06:06 PM

Fabulous amp, as is its big sister, the California Blonde. There are many Ultrasound fans on this forum (and they ARE good), but I prefer the SWRs myself.

Good luck.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Default Re: SWR

I'll second what simplyhere says. Very well made amps. I've only had my Strawberry for a month but got it to augment my CA blonde (which I've hade over a year). Also, since Fender just bought SWR, you can get a "pre-Fender SWR" which may end up like the "pre-CBS Fenders" of yesteryear.

Grant
Old 06-25-2003, 06:40 PM

I love mine. Go to harmony-central.com. There is this same post there. Also check out their amp reviews, this amp got amazing reviews. However, hou have to reset the controls back to neutral before you plug in to re set the amp. Every time.

Built like a tank.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:47 PM

Yeah, I made a quick username and posted this same topic over on harmony central. Not quite the same caliber of people and responses over there as we have here. It makes me appreciate the "Taylor Crowd" and realize that they are a smart breed. Of course you have to be to own a Taylor
-Brian
Old 06-25-2003, 07:01 PM

well, actually, Ahors.... are you TaylorOvation over on Harmony Central? The thread over in the Acoustics section recieved some nice responses but check out the thread in the amp sectiion titled: SWR. Not very informative or helpful Sorry this is a little off topic. You can move this to another forum if needed. Thanks everyone.
-Brian
Old 06-25-2003, 07:04 PM

Very nice amps, as are the Ultrasounds. My local Taylor dealer made me a deal on a very lightly used Fender Acoustasonic though, and I really like it. I must admit that the Ultrasound delivered a little better with ES, but used at half price speaks loudly. Also, the Genz-Benz sounded pretty fine IMHO.

Petros, Paragon, National, Martin, Rainsong, and Santa Cruz
Old 06-25-2003, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Could someone please explain to me why you would use an amp for an acoustic guitar? And yes, I know they're set up differently.

But for the price paid for something really nice, I'd just as soon use a Mackie 1202 and one used SRM450, or JBL Eon or other self-powered speaker (and the Mackie SRM450s rock) since all my buddies could plug in, too. And someone could sing. And... well, you get the idea.

And so far, especially with the ES, a PA is the way to go. With the Fishman, it's certainly as good an idea.

And now that Mackie (and others) make micro-mixers with dig effects built in, it's even less of a hassle.

Just curious.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 06-25-2003, 09:39 PM

Brian, yes I am!!!!!!!!! Welcome to the TGF. This is a nice place with mature people.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:38 PM

I'm with you Thurmabus

I also use a 1202. After I bought my 814ces I upgraded my amp and bought some JBL cabs

Sweeeeeeeet

2003 814ce
2000 JKSM
2003 714ce Custom
1946 Goya G-17
1982 Tak F360S
Old 06-26-2003, 11:07 PM

I play a lot in my music room. An amp is perfect for that. The SWR gives you so many unique sounds, I like it better than a pa. Dont have room for a PA system in my office. When I play live I mike my amp because it sounds so good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification