The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-29-2023, 07:09 AM

Just a point here "soft" and "hard" wood is a technical classification of grain structure rather than the resistance to impact. Balsa is classified as a "hard" wood!
On the actual point: You could put some varnish in it rather than oil if you must do anything. After oil gets on the wood you will never be able to paint it. Does it matter? After the fist ding you will stop caring.

As a guy once said to me; "did you buy it to play or sell?

Last edited by sirdoh; 11-02-2023 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-29-2023, 09:06 AM

I've got a bunch of "old" electric guitars. Not old in the sense of vintage pieces in demand by collectors, but old as in used and often bought pre-dented or scratched and thus commanding a lower price. Many electrics I own or have owned are more than 20 years old. Their dings are now voting age too. I mention the age, because there's at least one person in the thread who warns that mold or something like that needs to be prevented when an electric solidbody guitar has a dent, or some finish removed on a part of the instrument.

They have their experience, I have mine. I've never seen anything of the like that. The only thing that would concern me about finish being absent or dented would be on the fretboard or gripping surface on the back of the neck of a solid body electric. I've seen cherished vintage Fender style maple fretboard necks with little finish left, and that sort of wear combined with the finger oils and grunge that caused them might be an issue--though it doesn't stop collectors from appreciating that look. Ding on the body of the guitar? Not an issue as far as use or lifetime.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-29-2023, 04:47 PM

I just refinished a pine body that I gave a Strat-like contour. How the heck did it get so dented, it has not yet been made into a guitar? (OK it has been moved around a fair amount the last few years) Just used some wipe on poly to give it some protection from sweat and other grunge. Will not be babying it but like the idea of wiping it down yearly.
Old 10-29-2023, 07:12 PM

It won't affect its longevity. Or its sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars