The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-08-2024, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowelder View Post
Maybe my description was hard to understand, but you got it. Can you tell me where I can get new pickups rings that are taller? Also are the screw holes in the rings the same from brand to brand?
Just take a dang picture so we can see what the heck is going on. This seems overly complicated.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 01-08-2024, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Can you tell me where I can get new pickups rings that are taller? Also are the screw holes in the rings the same from brand to brand?
try the Gibson web site. The have some listed there
https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Collection/mounting

Also Stewart MacDonald, or All Parts would be good places to check too

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 01-08-2024, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Maybe my description was hard to understand, but you got it. Can you tell me where I can get new pickups rings that are taller? Also are the screw holes in the rings the same from brand to brand?
My suggestion is that you contact an/your Eastman dealer and ask for a replacement BRIDGE pickup ring for your guitar (as noted below, consider getting 2). The ring's screw holes will then line up with the existing holes in your guitar's top. There is little-to-no uniformity on screwhole placement, which practically limits your use of another brand's ring (eg, Gibson).

You will then adapt the new BRIDGE pickup ring to the NECK position following the guidance in the links I provided above in response to another poster. Ideally, you're trying to keep the fretboard-side (front) of the new ring at the same height as the original NECK pickup ring (or get it there, if it's too high), then slowly take material away from the bridge-side of the ring's base until the pickup sits parallel to the strings.

Assuming the top has a curve, it might be easier to place a sheet of fine sandpaper (600, 800 range), rough-side-up, just below the neck pickup's hole and slide the new ring (sans pickup) up/down the paper so it follows the curve, making sure to apply the pressure to the rear (bridge) side of the pickup ring because that's where the reduction is to occur (you don't necessarily want to bring the front of the ring any lower). When I get it roughly close, I then install the pickup into the ring so I can get the pickup's top level.

It'll be tedious and it may not be pretty at the end, but take your time, check your work, and you'll be happy. Consider buying 2 new BRIDGE pickup rings - they're cheap enough - as the first may be a "learning experience" for you, and having the other on hand will give you confidence.
Old 01-08-2024, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
My suggestion is that you contact an/your Eastman dealer and ask for a replacement BRIDGE pickup ring for your guitar (as noted below, consider getting 2). The ring's screw holes will then line up with the existing holes in your guitar's top. There is little-to-no uniformity on screwhole placement, which practically limits your use of another brand's ring (eg, Gibson).

You will then adapt the new BRIDGE pickup ring to the NECK position following the guidance in the links I provided above in response to another poster. Ideally, you're trying to keep the fretboard-side (front) of the new ring at the same height as the original NECK pickup ring (or get it there, if it's too high), then slowly take material away from the bridge-side of the ring's base until the pickup sits parallel to the strings.

Assuming the top has a curve, it might be easier to place a sheet of fine sandpaper (600, 800 range), rough-side-up, just below the neck pickup's hole and slide the new ring (sans pickup) up/down the paper so it follows the curve, making sure to apply the pressure to the rear (bridge) side of the pickup ring because that's where the reduction is to occur (you don't necessarily want to bring the front of the ring any lower). When I get it roughly close, I then install the pickup into the ring so I can get the pickup's top level.

It'll be tedious and it may not be pretty at the end, but take your time, check your work, and you'll be happy. Consider buying 2 new BRIDGE pickup rings - they're cheap enough - as the first may be a "learning experience" for you, and having the other on hand will give you confidence.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
Old 01-09-2024, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I have an Eastman T186 mx and both pickups aren't parallel to the strings. The fretboard pickup poles are closer to the strings and the bridge pickups poles are farther away.
I've not held or even seen an Eastman, but I understand they're very high quality guitars. I know my low/mid level Ibanez semihollow guitars have dead-level pickups, but my Gibsons do not. My point is that, though I haven't seen your pickup situation, given Eastman's reputation, I think it more probable that the pickups are only barely non-parallel to the strings, enough to get your attention, but not enough to affect tone. If so, then I wouldn't worry about perfection. If, however, the dips are more pronounced (hard to quantify) to the point that it makes pickup height adjustment problematic and/or affects tone, then I'd do the ring fix I mentioned.

Another fix you can do is find some dense foam and stuff it under the low side of the pickup to raise it level. Lots of folks do it that way.
Old 01-10-2024, 07:55 AM

This is one of the stupidest threads I've ever read. It's a common issue and not a flaw in the pickup rings!

Also if the OP is talking about the pickup height being different from low to high e which I'm not sure he is because he won't take a PICTURE, that is not only common but is usually the way to set up HB pickups.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars