The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-04-2012, 06:43 AM

Default Ebony Fingerboard & Rosewood Bridge, An Irish Thing?

I've noticed that some builders (particularly Lowden and Avalon) commonly use ebony for their fingerboards and rosewood for their bridges. It seems more common among other luthiers to match the fingerboard and bridge woods which, to me , is more visually pleasing. Is anyone out there aware of a structural or tone oriented reason for using rosewood as the bridge material as opposed to ebony; or is it just an Irish idioisyncrasy?
RainSong WS3000 (2007)
MLJ Acoustics OM-12 - bubinga/carpathian (2012)
Composite Acoustics GX HG (2013)
Old 04-04-2012, 07:11 AM

Interesting question. That is sort of strange. I hadn't noticed this particular difference, but I did recently notice that Lowden doesn't use bridge pins (at least on some of their guitars) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larstusor View Post
I've noticed that some builders (particularly Lowden and Avalon) commonly use ebony for their fingerboards and rosewood for their bridges. It seems more common among other luthiers to match the fingerboard and bridge woods which, to me , is more visually pleasing. Is anyone out there aware of a structural or tone oriented reason for using rosewood as the bridge material as opposed to ebony; or is it just an Irish idioisyncrasy?

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 04-04-2012, 07:46 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by larstusor View Post
No, it's actually a very, very common classical guitar thing.

HE
Old 04-04-2012, 07:51 AM

Some guitar builders I know feel that ebony is too heavy to make the sort of bridge they want on their guitars. So those people feel they can discern a tonal difference, and build accordingly. It would seem that Mr. Lowden and the folks who run Avalon Guitars (which are based on Lowden's designs, and are built in the facility that used to be the Lowden factory) are in that "no ebony for the bridge" design camp.

whm
Old 04-04-2012, 07:53 AM

Top of the line Guild acoustics generally have ebony fingerboards with rosewood bridges.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:55 AM
Guest 2143

I don't think there is anything Irish about my Martin M-38 - ebony fingerboard and rosewood bridge. Supposedly, ebony, which is denser/heavier than rosewood, dampens/darkens the tone a bit more than rosewood. At least this is what I read...
Old 04-04-2012, 07:56 AM

I have a custom build OO with a "light top build" and it has a RW bridge. I've wondered about that and this post answers the question.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:10 AM

Thank you all for the quick and informative responses. I felt certain that there must be some perceived logic behind the choice of a rosewood bridge on some fine guitars (including the non-Irish Martin M-38) that have ebony fingerboards.
RainSong WS3000 (2007)
MLJ Acoustics OM-12 - bubinga/carpathian (2012)
Composite Acoustics GX HG (2013)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion