The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-18-2006, 01:39 PM

Default Gibson Hummingbird 'Artist'

Hello All,
Does anyone know of this guitar? It is a Guitar Center exclusive made by Gibson only for the GC chain. From what I can tell, it is a little less fancy version of the standard Hummingbird and less expensive. I can't find much info on it. It plays and sounds awesome! I know Gibson does makes other exclusive models for the GC chain. I was just curious to find more information on this guitar. Thanks.

Peace,
Rick
Old 07-18-2006, 07:24 PM

Is that the one with the plain pickguard? And I think the neck inlay is less lavish...I think........Anyway, I've played one. It sounded pretty good, and was about 350 less than the standard "bird." In looks it remineded me of a J45.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:26 PM

Default MissouriPicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriPicker
Is that the one with the plain pickguard? And I think the neck inlay is less lavish...I think........Anyway, I've played one. It sounded pretty good, and was about 350 less than the standard "bird." In looks it remineded me of a J45.
MissouriPicker,
Yes, it does have the plain pickguard. It does have the parallelogram inlay with white neck binding, very nice, with the cherry sunburst and white button tuners. I was wondering how it differs in construction or materials (if at all) as it is less expensive. I am curious if it is less of a 'Hummingbird' or the same quality with less cosmetics. It is not on the Gibson website. IMHO, it sounds great. I also compare it to the J45 but to me it is a little deeper and richer sounding.

RickM
Old 07-19-2006, 10:14 AM

I believe it is identical to the standard bird. I read that somewhere in a magazine. Cannot for the life of me remember which one.......Ask at the store. Tell them to call Gibson and let you talk to them. I'm betting that they are the same. In fact, our local GC had two of them, and both have been sold.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

The one in my local GC is actually the smaller songwriter body style with hummingbird style cosmetics (but no birds). It sounds different than my hummingbird, but is still very nice.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:23 AM

If you call Gibson Montana they will give you the lowdown on that guitar. They are very good about providing information.
I played one of those guitars about a year ago and thought it was very nice. I like the understated pickguard and it's shape.
It has its own sound--very cool guitar.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:29 PM

Thumbs up Gibson Hummingbird Artist--yes!

I've got one...had it a few years. I will say that it sounds better than when I bought it, for it has 'opened up' over time. Got a well balanced sound(not as deep as rosewood but unique to it's wood); love the honeyburst finish. Seems like strings that have been on it many months add to it's sound! Some of the 'bursts' on these look like they were done by a 'learning worker' and don't look good, but mine has that subtle transition of color that Gibson does best.

They call it a 'Hummingbird' but in reality it's not. It's more of a Songwriter body shape with mahoghany back/sides instead of rosewood. Still, it's got a great sound...and the pickup it has sounds excellent(I think it's an LRBaggs Element).

My only complaint is if you look close, you can see where the sander/finisher sanded too deep on the top and you can see long diagonal marks that didn't quite buff out...No excuse for that, Gibson! Maybe that's why I got it pretty near cost($1350) and they retail for $1999.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion