The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-16-2010, 09:52 PM

Default AER 60 mkII vs. Fishman SoloAmp

I'll be volunteering at a hospital to play some music for patients (providing music-therapy). I've performed acoustically a few times but I have zero experience when it comes to amplification/PA systems. I am currently using K&K Pure Western Mini PU system. My budget is around $1000 and from my research, I've narrowed it down to these two choices:

AER 60 mkII vs. Fishman SoloAmp

My audience is pretty small, I expect no more than 30 people. I want to make the most acoustic sound as possible using the least amount of effects, if not any at all. My playing style is about 70% fingerstyle and 30% strumming. I will be using a mic for vocals as well. I'm not sure how AER 60 will perform for voice. If you have recommendations or any experience using amps, any input will be a great help!

Thanks in advance!
- Mitchell MD100 (SOLD)
Old 06-16-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiaroscurist View Post
I'm not sure how AER 60 will perform for voice.
In a word,,,, superbly! The Compact 60 truly excels in this department.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:19 PM

I think either the AER or the SoloAmp would be excellent for that size venue at the hospital. I'm assuming you're a solo performer?

But you know what? I would say you could achieve quite pleasing results for considerably less than your $1k budget.

There are several choices for high quality 2-channel combo amps at less cost than the AER or SA. For example, I would highly recommend the Ultrasound DS4, which has excellent sound for both voice and acoustic guitar. Spend the difference on a good vocal mic, cables, stands, etc.

Of course, if you're willing to spend your whole budget, then the AER or SoloAmp certainly are premium picks for your application.

David
Páirc Thoir Thuaidh

Old 06-16-2010, 11:09 PM

BagAmp!

(sorry, couldn't resist!)
Old 06-16-2010, 11:45 PM

Default Acoustic Image

Acoustic Image - the best, hands down.

I'm telling you. Most of the people would tell you to get their Corus combo, but in my experience, for acoustic guitar, the CONTRA is MUCH better. If you need to channels you can buy the Coda+ which is the same as the contra, but more power, effects, and two channels.

It's a bit more expensive than the AER, but you get more head room, cleaner, less harsh sounds..
Old 06-17-2010, 05:23 AM

Quote:
I'll be volunteering at a hospital to play some music for patients (providing music-therapy). I've performed acoustically a few times but I have zero experience when it comes to amplification/PA systems. I am currently using K&K Pure Western Mini PU system. My budget is around $1000 and from my research, I've narrowed it down to these two choices:

AER 60 mkII vs. Fishman SoloAmp

My audience is pretty small, I expect no more than 30 people. I want to make the most acoustic sound as possible using the least amount of effects, if not any at all. My playing style is about 70% fingerstyle and 30% strumming. I will be using a mic for vocals as well. I'm not sure how AER 60 will perform for voice. If you have recommendations or any experience using amps, any input will be a great help!

Thanks in advance!
If the audience is really that small, and they are close together, I wouldn't use any amplification at all. Less hassle, less expense, less to worry about.

If you are determined to amp up, then yes, AER amps are fine for vocals. I use an AER Alpha for guitar/vocal duties. In quiet venues I only use one (distant) mike for vocals and to pick up the guitar - works well with anatural sound. Easier to get good results sitting down as this brings mouth and guitar closer to each other and easier to pick up on one mike.
Keith

Last edited by ocarolan; 06-17-2010 at 07:22 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-17-2010, 12:48 PM

Although I admit to not having tried the AER, I have 2 solos and I love them. Vocals and acoustic are awesome and if you have 2 (like I do) you can cross link them so that the same audio comes out both units and works great with 2 players and 2 guitars. There's line outs, DI, effects loop, etc. and the preamps are great. VOcals and guitar are smooth and mellow.

My $0.02
Old 06-17-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennconducts View Post
BagAmp!

Hey Jenn, you still lovin' yours?
Old 06-17-2010, 01:22 PM

And the Bagamp mixer and sub might make it even more effective....:

You can check them out on the Bagamp website.....

Uh oh.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennconducts View Post
BagAmp!

Old 06-17-2010, 03:24 PM

Another option at around a grand is the Bose Compact. No built-in effects or EQ would be its downside, but for portability and great sound it does a superb job.
2010 Godin Grand Concert Ambiance
2003 Godin Grand Concert SA MIDI-Classic
1995 Custom Turner Renaissance MIDI-Classic
2004 Yamaha CGX-171SCF Electric-Flamenco
1972 Alvarez-Yairi 5032 Classic
1989 Custom Vlado Proskurniak Hybrid Flamenco-Classic
2002 Ibanez PM-100 (Pat Metheny model)
2004 Custom Filomino Strat-clone
Old 06-17-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinityEB View Post
Hey Jenn, you still lovin' yours?
Indeed. As long as one uses a good frontend (presently I'm experimenting with the Bose T1), it's wonderful. What folks have to understand is that it's quite neutral; not hyped at either end of the frequency range. If you have a good PU and want to hear the sound of the instrument through a highly portable piece of gear, it's a fine piece of kit.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:44 PM

Have you tried Roland AC60?..'cause for my money it's one of the best in the market at the moment! I have tried AER Club60,Ibanez,Marshall acoustic combos.Although the AER sounded quite good,the Roland AC60 isn't any inferior either.Besides,it's got the most natural sounding mic ch. I've heard on a small combo of this size!. For effects you have both a digital reverb & chorus on both channels. 2x6" speakers give a fairly good stereo image as well,especially with the chorus on.

I've used this combo quite regularly for the past 4 years & it's adequate for for a small room up to 50-100 people.It has a LOT of connections like bal.line in/out,DI & many more. The biggest plus IMHO is that it costs only about 1/2 the price of an AER 60!

Initially,I had a few problems with a "cheapo" ac.preamp fitted on my guitar,due to it's high impedence..so I designed my own & now sounds BIG indeed!

Check this out!

Last edited by Acoustic addict; 06-20-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:24 PM

You can't go wrong with the AER Compact 60. An absolutely great amp and despite its small size, one that sends out a big and wonderfully acoustic sound. I played a coffee shop today and got great comments on the clarity of the sound from folks on the other side of this long and narrow room. Can you get less expensive amps that sound very good? Absolutely. But the AER is something special.....in my totally biased opinion, of course!

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 06-22-2010, 11:01 AM

You guys are right on spot for what I needed to know! Although, I have 1k to spend, it's nice to know that for my performing environment there are great alternatives that'll be just as good while leaving me to invest in some better mics, perhaps fuel my GAS routine in some other time

I definitely gotta try the Ultrasound DS4, Acoustic Image, and the Roland AC60. This is my own bias, but I feel like I'm paying a premium fee when I'm buying Bose. For its price tag, I think SoloAmp is a better value. I've seen lots of "versus" threads for these two competing products, and most ppl do say SoloAmp

For those familiar with AER, SA and the amp suggestions made above, what is the max capacity, or rather the sweetspot number of audience?

Thanks for the suggestions!
- Mitchell MD100 (SOLD)
Old 06-22-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
For those familiar with AER, SA and the amp suggestions made above, what is the max capacity, or rather the sweetspot number of audience?

Thanks for the suggestions!
Tough question... Depends on the size of the room, average height and weight of the audience, whether they are dressed in 'street clothes' or hospital gowns and whether they are sitting in chairs or prone in beds.

The logarhythmic formula is something like this: take the measurements of the room (L x W x H), subtract the cubic footage of any furniture or fixtures, account for whether there is a hard floor or carpeting, then ask the question 'how much does the gig pay?' and 'do the musicians get fed?'

That being said, since you already indicated that you are volunteering your services, anything you bring to amplify your performance will be greatly appreciated by your audience and any of the suggestions above would suffice for the average hospital activities room. Take into consideration the average distance you will have to carry your gear and decide accordingly

And thanks for volunteering your time and talents to bring some pleasure to the patients at the hospital.

Last edited by Side Man; 06-22-2010 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Forgot to add a thank you...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification