The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-17-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnantel View Post
There's only a small price difference between a QSC K8 and K10. Consequently, does it make sense to go for the K10? (Yeah, I know I should just listen to each side by side but this is tough to do in my home town, where these are hard to find.)

I take it the K10 has a bit more bass but am not sure if that's a factor given I'll be playing it using my Taylor 512ce and two vocal mics plugged into an Allen & Heath ZED 12 FX.

Should I save the $50 and apply it to a better microphone?

Thanks
Richard
So, what did you decide and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha Richard,

I would go with either a 10" or higher set. Why? You never know when you may have to play an outdoor gig, which may require a bit more power.

It also depends on the efficiency of the speaker. For example, my Daedalus W803's are three-way with just 8" speakers but work fine outdoors.

10's or 12's should work fine.

alohachris
Hey Chris,
So you have 8's but are suggesting 10's or higher. Interesting.

"which may require a bit more power" They all have the same amps.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
So, what did you decide and why?

Hey Chris,
So you have 8's but are suggesting 10's or higher. Interesting.

"which may require a bit more power" They all have the same amps.
The K10 can achieve a higher Sound Pressure Level than the K8, 129dB Peak SPL @ I Meter vs. 127dB Peak SPL @ 1 meter. This coupled with the K10's slightly narrower dispersion would allow you to throw the sound out farther in a large venue or outdoor gig. Please note that 2 dB more in loudness is noticeable but IMHO the K8 will pretty much be just as loud and good in reality as the K10.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-17-2009, 01:14 PM

I see the "Acoustic Gig" in a different light from a band gig. I would think that a wider dispersion would be better and smoother across the front where people are most likely sitting fairly close to the performer. As a PA with a horn on a stand I would still imagine that the 8's should still drive fairly far back. I would love to demo both of these in a live situation. I would opt to get rid of my powered board.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:36 PM

Bob/335
As I said earlier, I have a K8 and have heard and demo'd the K10, and K12 as well. Obviously there is greater difference with the K12. For an acoustic act, duo or solo with vocals, I find the K8 to be a perfect match. I happen to like the dispersion pattern which matters more to me since I am not playing bigger venues. However, two K8s would easily handle a noisy bar, outside venue, or larger hall. I heard Vicki Genfan play through 2 K12s and they sounded amazing. Of course she was playing, so that certainly contributes to the amazing part. I heard Doyle play through 2 K8s that were also running through active subs and they were great. I am not sure he needed the subs, but the sound was fantastic. For me, I can take 1 K8 that fills a small to medium venue with no sweat. If I had 2 K8s I would not hesitate to use that setup in a larger venue.
All this said, if you don't mind the extra dime or the weight and size, two K10s or K12s will do very nicely.
IMHO, and I have been playing for a lot of years, the sound of the K series is far superior to any powered speakers I have had or heard. They also have incredible flexibility. Take a look at the input/outputs and the voicings on the back panel. I have even used my K8 as a sort of sub, by switching the bass button on and sending more powere to the lower frequencies.
I wrote about these when I first bought my K8 and first heard the K series.
I am considering another K8 and then retiring my BOSE PAS. They actually sound better to me and I have been a big BOSE supporter.
davidc
Old 11-17-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
Bob/335
As I said earlier, I have a K8 and have heard and demo'd the K10, and K12 as well. Obviously there is greater difference with the K12. For an acoustic act, duo or solo with vocals, I find the K8 to be a perfect match. I happen to like the dispersion pattern which matters more to me since I am not playing bigger venues. However, two K8s would easily handle a noisy bar, outside venue, or larger hall. I heard Vicki Genfan play through 2 K12s and they sounded amazing. Of course she was playing, so that certainly contributes to the amazing part. I heard Doyle play through 2 K8s that were also running through active subs and they were great. I am not sure he needed the subs, but the sound was fantastic. For me, I can take 1 K8 that fills a small to medium venue with no sweat. If I had 2 K8s I would not hesitate to use that setup in a larger venue.
All this said, if you don't mind the extra dime or the weight and size, two K10s or K12s will do very nicely.
IMHO, and I have been playing for a lot of years, the sound of the K series is far superior to any powered speakers I have had or heard. They also have incredible flexibility. Take a look at the input/outputs and the voicings on the back panel. I have even used my K8 as a sort of sub, by switching the bass button on and sending more powere to the lower frequencies.
I wrote about these when I first bought my K8 and first heard the K series.
I am considering another K8 and then retiring my BOSE PAS. They actually sound better to me and I have been a big BOSE supporter.
davidc
Very Interesting. I wonder how this would fit into the BagAmp, SoloAmp, Bose L1 discussions. Nah!!! Probably shouldn't go there.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:41 AM

rnantel,
Waiting to hear your choice and a review.

Besides I thought I'd bump this back to the first page. Seems there are a few other inquiries on other threads about possible configurations.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

My remarkably non-engineering mind always wonders whether you can have the best of both or all worlds by buying, say, one K8 and one K12....?

td
Old 11-21-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrake View Post
My remarkably non-engineering mind always wonders whether you can have the best of both or all worlds by buying, say, one K8 and one K12....?

td
Well I see in another thread that he went for the K10.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:08 AM

Just wondering how the QSC "K" guys are doing. I'm considering returning my EV SX100's and selling my Yamaha EMX5000-12 and getting either a BagAmp or maybe a K8 and eventually a second and maybe a mixer. I would love to try out all this stuff side by side.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Just wondering how the QSC "K" guys are doing. I'm considering returning my EV SX100's and selling my Yamaha EMX5000-12 and getting either a BagAmp or maybe a K8 and eventually a second and maybe a mixer. I would love to try out all this stuff side by side.
I'd also be interested in knowing how the K speakers -- particularly the K8 -- does when compared with the line array system -- particularly the BagAmp. Don't any of you guys have deep pockets? C'mon, quit spending all of your money on another -- your 10th -- guitar!

geokie8
Old 12-13-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
rnantel,
Waiting to hear your choice and a review.

Besides I thought I'd bump this back to the first page. Seems there are a few other inquiries on other threads about possible configurations.
I bought the K10. It sounds fabulous paired with my Allen and Heath ZED 12FX mixer. You people know your gear. I'm considering getting a second QSC speaker. Only bought one K10.

Thanks everyone. Great recommendations.

Richard

Last edited by rnantel; 12-13-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:54 AM

G.A.S. and with Christmas right around the corner. GEEZZzzzzzzzzz!

Well, I never thought I'd say this. My powered board yamaha EMX5000-12 has served me well. I originally bought it to use with an old pair of EV's alone. I shortly thereafter sold the EV's and bought JBL MPro 400 series 15's and subs and a couple of QSC PLX3402's to power them all while using the same EMX5000. It is an extremely versatile board. I put this system together for a polished corporate party band that never materialized. I have rented it (with me) out several times and made back close to half of my investment and did MANY Benefits and Fundraisers over the years.

Recently bought a pair of EV SX100's to use with the EMX for a small act that has yet to materialize. And then I ended up here on this forum looking for tips on Acoustic Acts. (Probably Duo, Possibly Trio, and with the products I keep running across a good chance of solo) Reading about so many more portable, lightweight options, I have decided to retire my 36 lb. powered mixer and return these EV SX100's.

I must pause to applaud SameDayMusic.com for giving me an incredible price (they'll be able to sell them as open box for more than I paid) and a 60 day No Questions Asked Return Policy. They even answered my request of return shipping labels for my cheaper than my return costs would have been. (They get a discount) Kudos for SameDayMusic.com Customer Service is something I highly value.

Back to sqaure one. Where to go from here. If I knew for sure that I would play reserved places solo, I would certainly opt for the single piece portable units. Feeling that it would more than likely go to a duo or trio (maybe even congas with vocals) keeps me looking to the PA Format. The qsc K8 still looks good and with a Vocal Harmonizer as a processor/mixer, could keep me good till I find a need to expand to a mixer and another speaker if need be.

I'll have to put in the time and effort I did to pick out the SX100's into the next pick. I would really love to hear all of the options in actual use but doubt that will happen. I'm still so confused.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:47 PM

Ran across some technical specs from the QSC website.

Are the K series power specification peak or "RMS" ratings?
by Tracey Homan on Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:07 am

The specifications for the K series power ratings for the amplifiers are 500W per channel continuous ("RMS").Thanks,
Tracey Homan
Service Engineer
QSC Audio Products, LLC

Re: Actual rms values for K series?
by Bob Lee on Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:21 pm

The amp modules are 500 watts continuous for the LF and 500 watts continuous for the HF, a total of 1000 watts.

The KSub's amp module is 500 watts continuous for each driver, for a total of 1000 watts.Bob Lee
Applications Engineer
QSC Audio Products, LLC
Secretary, Audio Engineering Society
Old 12-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ran across some technical specs from the QSC website.

Are the K series power specification peak or "RMS" ratings?
by Tracey Homan on Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:07 am

The specifications for the K series power ratings for the amplifiers are 500W per channel continuous ("RMS").Thanks,
Tracey Homan
Service Engineer
QSC Audio Products, LLC

Re: Actual rms values for K series?
by Bob Lee on Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:21 pm

The amp modules are 500 watts continuous for the LF and 500 watts continuous for the HF, a total of 1000 watts.

The KSub's amp module is 500 watts continuous for each driver, for a total of 1000 watts.Bob Lee
Applications Engineer
QSC Audio Products, LLC
Secretary, Audio Engineering Society
The thing that struck me as different or even strange when first reading the K Series power specs a couple of months ago was that QSC would have both the Low Frequency driver and High Frequency driver each receiving 500 Watts RMS. Why not 800 watts RMS for the LF driver and 200 Watts RMS for the HF driver? Wouldn't it make more sense to have more wattage going to the LF driver than the HF driver? There must be a reason for the equal-wattage power amps for each section of the speaker.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-16-2009, 02:42 PM

I've thought about that myself and heard a couple of different reasons. Apparently this is some new tech low weight, low power consumption amp. They are making these in huge mass quantities for 2 amps in each of 3 different model speakers. They only needed to perfect the technology for 1 amp. Less R&D costs and less production costs. The same goes for the voice coil for the HF driver. I have high end JBL 15's that cooked a voil coil probably by some loud kids screaming into the mic at a Youth Night. Clipping cooks more HF drivers than LF drivers. Having high powered HF drives would completely put an end to cooked HF drivers. The head room must be incredible.
Maybe it goes against the norm but so do the drivers in the BagAmp. And still trying to understand line array vs a well designed speaker such as the K8.

I sent back my EV SX100's and I am going to slow down on this selection as I conemplate selling off some of my big PA. Looking to get my shoulder fixed anyway so I won't need anything too soon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification