The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-12-2018, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstroop View Post
Did you ever use Songbook on an iPad?
No I haven't. Sorry I can't help you with that.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:49 AM

Add another iPad Air and OnSong user to the list. Works great.

Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Old 02-12-2018, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

iPad Pro (12") and Onsong - very easy to find tabs or words on the web and import them. I usually clean them up when I'm bored, and send the files to others if we are going to play together - In my studio I just throw the files up on a big flatscreen TV with an older AppleTV so everyone sees the same chart -

It would be nice to share updated songs with others in the band, but we work around it -
Old 02-12-2018, 05:56 PM

Default In My Case What Software?

So I've got an iMac desktop and a new iPad Pro.
I sent 400 pages of printed lead sheets to be scanned and got the PDFs back on a Flash Drive and have no clue what app to use or how to proceed. I thought UnrealBook but can't make any sense of it. I'm also totally computer illiterate.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryfly View Post
So I've got an iMac desktop and a new iPad Pro.
I sent 400 pages of printed lead sheets to be scanned and got the PDFs back on a Flash Drive and have no clue what app to use or how to proceed. I thought UnrealBook but can't make any sense of it. I'm also totally computer illiterate.
So - if they sent them to you as one large image file, then they are almost useless as is - first, you would need to open the file and save each song as a separate file, using the song name. You can then import each of those into Onsong, but they won't work with any of there tools. You will be able to view them, sort them, make set lists, add backing tracks, etc - but not be able to highlight chords, change key, etc -

If they converted them into text files, you are in better luck, then you can edit them one by one on your iMac to get rid of conversion or spelling errors, and even set in some ChordPro formatting if you want, and then import those - that way you get all the advantages of using OnSong -

Be happy to help, but you'd need to provide a lot more info about what you got, and what you want -
Old 02-12-2018, 07:55 PM

Default They are individual pdfs

I have about 400 separate files. I looked at several and they look fine.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have about 400 separate files. I looked at several and they look fine.
Are they text, jpegs, PDFs, ??
Old 02-13-2018, 10:04 AM

They are individually scanned text lead sheets in a PDFs put on a flash drive.
Thanks
Old 02-13-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
They are individually scanned text lead sheets in a PDFs put on a flash drive.
Thanks
Best thing to do is get a free dropbox account and on your iMac put all your pdfs in dropbox. Most iPad music apps (and others supporting pdfs) can import from dropbox. I use forScore on iPad Pro. Works great! One feature I particularly like is putting iPad in landscape you can switch between viewing 2-page scores side by side or viewing single page at a time very wide.

Last edited by JimCA; 02-13-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

So thats the rub - check them one by one on your iMac, edit them as well as you are able, then email groups of them to yourself. When you open the email on the iPad, you can choose to import them all into Onsong - then, you can see how they import and decide if you want to make any changes there -

I was using my OnSong with a choral group I was part of, and they were all using paper sheets in binders. I took the pages, scanned them as PDFs, then emailed them to myself. They opened and looked just like the Xeroxed binder sheets, but I cannot transpose, or edit them in any way - which is fine. I can use the markup capabilities in OnSong to add notes, highlight sections, even import mp3s of the various parts so I can listen to them while reading the music, or play the other parts while I sing and memorize my own. But I cannot change key, colors, etc.

For our band, we frequently come up with songs that we think would be fun to try, so we google for the words on an iPad, then when we have a page up, we send it to OnSong - open Onsong, and it asks if we want to import the song. We import it, add or modify chords and bracket them, adjust words, line layout, mark verse or chorus, add any memos about how we want to do it, and then we have a ChordPro file that we can transpose, or work with in any number of ways that are useful for us - but useless to the choral group.

Its pretty easy to get started in the ChordPro format - its just simple text with some bracketed characters thrown in to handle formatting - I hate to say it, but it reminds me of Wordstar on my old Osborne - if there is a song you'd like that I have, PM me and I'll see if I can email a copy to you to play with -
Old 02-15-2018, 07:49 PM

I may be just me, but that K&M tablet holder was a ***** to assemble. It took me like an hour to figure out portait setting.

Went with SongSheet Pro @ $15. It appears to be doing what I need. Not happy, maybe unlearned, about importing files.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:42 PM

Default Caddie Buddy: Sturdy, Easy Rotate Tablet Mount

This is the best I've found of the few I've tried for my big iPad Pro. Mounts on a camera tripod or mike stand. Gooseneck mount easily pivots between portrait and landscape modes.

http://caddiebuddy.com/ipad-pro-tripod-mount-1/
Old 02-16-2018, 12:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch2017 View Post
I may be just me, but that K&M tablet holder was a ***** to assemble. It took me like an hour to figure out portait setting
Which K&M holder is that? I have this one - built to WW3 standards, no 'assembly' necessary, just screw it on to the thread on the top of the mic stand and you're up and running...

https://produkte.k-m.de/en/product?i...9550366f9d58a6

They have different model nos. for different iterations of the iPad, but they are all the same design, just slightly different dimensions. There's also an extension arm available, so you can 'side-mount' it to the same stand that you have your mic mounted on - I have one of those too.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 02-16-2018, 08:07 AM

K&M 19740. It's assembled and it seems ok.
Thanks
Old 02-16-2018, 09:15 AM

I have an old iPad and I only use it for True Fire lessons. Tempted to get a newer model since mine is starting to run a little funny.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic