The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-28-2014, 01:42 PM

Default Is it just my ears?

Ok, another dumb beginners question (or two)...........
Been playing about a year, mostly fingerstyle, which tends to show all your weaknesses, as opposed to just strumming chords, but I digress...
Anyway, I've experimented playing with the guitar on my right leg, left leg, and sometimes just sitting back in an easy chair with the guitar sort of resting on my chest. Frequently, when I play the later way, the tone of the guitar seems to be much better, much clearer and sounds really nice. Is it just because my ears are maybe closer to the sound hole, or do I just play better that way? I do notice that some of the chords are easier to play sitting that way (but not all of them)..... the F chord and G7 seem easier to play in that position. I think what I've noticed from that, is that my left thumb is closer to the bottom edge of the neck when playing that way, if that makes sense. Maybe I need to think about that when sitting upright?
Old 01-28-2014, 02:26 PM

Use google images to search for Freddie Green and Django Reinhardt. A lot of swing guitarists held their guitars at 45% angles rather than 90%. They were trying to get better projection, but it was pretty common before pickups.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:50 PM

It's possible you hear the guitar better in that position. Based on your post, I would guess that that position improves your ergonomics and allows you to play more relaxed. 'More relaxed' usually translates into 'better.' You mentioned your left hand, but what about your right? You may play better as a result of a more natural right-hand position.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, 1966

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write