The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-14-2018, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Default First Singing Lesson

This afternoon I went for my first session with my singing teacher. She is very nice and very in tune with her teaching. No chit-chat, she had called me on the phone earlier in the day, and we got right down to turning me into a singer. She taught me some exercises that I can do anytime and for the last thing she had me sing a song. She's big on visualization and said that I'm working too hard, like an elephant plodding through the jungle. She wants me to think about a cat tip towing through the grass.

I go back next week.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:00 PM

Sounds good so far. I grew up singing in church and at home, then took a few singing lessons as an adult (piggybacked onto my wife's piano lessons) years ago.

The biggest thing I remember was to "bark like a dog". Bark, bark, baaarrrrkkkkk...... Barking supports the notes with the diaphragm and core muscles, and helps you to breathe deeper from the lower lung. It was a catchy phrase and easily understood way to describe the process.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:45 PM

I took vocal lessons for 6 months. I think it helped me greatly, but I still would never sing publicly. I just can't work up the courage to do it for some reason. Too self conscious or something. The thing I took away of most value is how to listen to myself so I could sing better, and how to form/express the words correctly.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:34 PM

One of my guitar teachers (of the few), banned me from his blues jams, until I started to sing. I had plenty of confidence in my playing, so my lousy singing didn't embarrass me so much. His reasoning was that until I knew what a singer needed in a rhythm section, my playing would stagnate. I love to sing now. I also enjoy harmony as well. I thank him for his advice. I have thought of singing lessons, but haven't gotten around to it. I know singing lessons would be valuable. Keep up the good work! While players at jams may be critical of one's guitar playing, I've never heard anyone be anything but supportive of folks trying to sing. I always encourage young, and old players to sing, if they only play. Other areas of music such as jazz, well, those folks deserve props just for trying to play jazz! Maybe they could scat someday!
Old 02-14-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
This afternoon I went for my first session with my singing teacher...
As someone who has always earned a living with my voice, either singing or speaking, I am proud of you! Too many people assume they are stuck with whatever voice they now have - they would never assume that about playing an instrument, speaking a language, or learning any other skill, so it's always surprising to me when tell me they "can't sing." There was a time when they couldn't ride a bike or multiply 42 by 14 or any number of other things we have to learn before being accomplished. I look forward to hearing good follow up reports!

cotten
Old 02-14-2018, 11:51 PM

There is no instrument better than the human voice. Singing will increase your confidence and happiness. Singing is free. Never stop singing.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:28 AM

Never thought I could sing a lick , until I amped up and could hear myself, THAT made all the difference , i was able to get into KEY with the songs and surprised myself bigtime . Took a while working out as some songs didnt sound correct and alot of TRANSPOSING KEYS to suite my Voice was another " trick " as long as it's not NOTICEABLY far from the original KEY . Just gotta play around with it . I still have to sight read songs off paper , i cant remember hundreds of chord changes . That's the sad part . Can on a few easy songs , but easy to get tripped up without a crutch. Hang in there . I CHECKED You Tube for My Vocal Range and was Close to the MIDDLE , which was a good thing ...Tenor Or something I think ?? Boss VE5 Vocal Enhancer is a beautiful help also .
Old 02-15-2018, 04:12 AM
Charter Member

Likw many untrained singers my initial attempts were choked by lack of confidence - made my thought tight.
Found a lady teacher in a folk club, went to her for a relatively short time - completely changed.

That worled well until last year - throat cancer treatment has robbed mee of a lot - but working to get it back.

"You don't miss your water ......"
Old 02-15-2018, 10:42 AM

I got vocal lessons many years ago, and it was some of the best training I ever had. Very little of it had anything to do with singing. Sure, we practiced scales and breathing and placement and projection and all that stuff. But, my teacher was most focused on selling your material to the audience. He said that, like an actor, you've got to embody the lyrics. You have to be the person who is sending whatever message the song is trying to convey. Don't be fake. Choose material with which you can personally identify. The audience isn't interested in your fancy vocalizations. They want to identify and understand you as person. So, you need to reach put yourself right in their laps.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:10 PM

I have been taking bi weekly vocal coaching for about 8 months. I feel I have gotten so much better in supporting, placing, and pronouncing the vowels. I usually hate my recorded voice and sometimes am proud of it. People put so much emphasis on range and hitting really high notes. There is so much one can do to improve their singing in 1-2 octaves.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
I got vocal lessons many years ago, and it was some of the best training I ever had. Very little of it had anything to do with singing. Sure, we practiced scales and breathing and placement and projection and all that stuff. But, my teacher was most focused on selling your material to the audience. He said that, like an actor, you've got to embody the lyrics. You have to be the person who is sending whatever message the song is trying to convey. Don't be fake. Choose material with which you can personally identify. The audience isn't interested in your fancy vocalizations. They want to identify and understand you as person. So, you need to reach put yourself right in their laps.
Some good advice here. I too had lessons, learned a lot, money well spent.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:31 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the encouragement. For me, singing is something I need a coach for, like swimming. With swimming, I was able to get through the 2.4 mile Ironman swim one year after I started swimming but I was slow and used up to much energy because I didn't know what I was doing. Singing is the same, I just don't know the techniques. That's why I now have my coach. I'll do my singing workouts morning and afternoon and I'll be a confident singer soon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic