The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-05-2013, 08:38 AM

Default Fall is in the air ... and my guitars LOVE it!

Maybe it's just me ... but all summer long, especially this particular summer with all the rain, I've felt like my guitars sounded ... I don't know ... sort of "muddy".

But, for the past week or so, now that the air has become crisp and humidity is down, all my guitars seem to have acquired new life.

I realize that in a month or so, I'll probably be stressing over the air being too dry, LOL ... but for right now, everything seems to have come together perfectly.

Maybe it's my imagination ...

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 10-05-2013, 08:50 AM

i hear ya brother. my windows are open welcoming in the northern NY air. the maple guitars really seem to have opened.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Just the opposite here, it's 28 degrees and the furnace is on this morning. Humidifiers are running....enjoy that NC winter!
Old 10-05-2013, 09:05 AM

Ouch! ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Just the opposite here, it's 28 degrees and the furnace is on this morning. Humidifiers are running....enjoy that NC winter!

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 10-05-2013, 11:13 AM

Talking perfect humidity.........

For the first time this season I had to case all my wall hanging acoustics. Nasty winds dropped the hygrometer into the 30's and that is danger in these parts. Only left one out....Yamaha, built like a tank, plays like an angel.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:16 AM

I've noticed this too. I still have in-case humidifiers but they just sound better lately. Even with old-ish strings. Intonation is better. And they are easier to play. Weird.

When I put my Hygrometer in the case, it reports about 53% (actually it reads 55% but I checked it against a calibrated meter at work and mine reads 2% high).

One thing I noticed is the ceiling fans are on low now where in the summer they are higher. They do provide a "Leslie speaker" effect which I'm used to. The ceiling fans definitely affect perceived intonation.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:18 AM

i'm just the opposite. terrific santa ana winds, humidity in single digits and it is going to be 90 today. my acoustics are hiding out in their cases, the humidifier is going, windows are closed and i'll play my electrics instead.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 10-05-2013, 11:26 AM

I am somewhat lucky here in Vancouver as the summer never gets too humid and the winter never gets too dry

I usually leave my balcony door open just a crack. For the last 4 months or so now the humidity in my living room has been btwn 45-55% . The last 2 week have been holding steady at around 50% .... my guitars could not be happier.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:38 AM

I find that humidity around 40% makes my guitars sound their best. Which is why I try to keep my house there as much as possible.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
i'm just the opposite. terrific santa ana winds, humidity in single digits and it is going to be 90 today. my acoustics are hiding out in their cases, the humidifier is going, windows are closed and i'll play my electrics instead.

play music!
Ditto. Guitar has been out all summer. 14% humidity has sent it back to its case!!

Eastman AC630BD --The Hot Blonde
Taylor 317
Rickenbacker 620 Midnight Blue
Yamaha FG700 (lives in Miami for family visits)

"Son, don't wait till the break of day, 'cause you know how time fades away..."
Old 10-05-2013, 01:57 PM

Jud! The humidity is just 46 percent out! Why didn't you text/page/Facebook/twitter/call/e-mail/telegram me? I thought we were friends!

Off to open windows in the man cave!
Old 10-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Guest316

My guitars are the same. The weather is the same. The humidity is the same. Same same same. El Paso. Same.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Wink

Just bought 2 Herco clay humidifiers and made a sponge and Baggie one. I think it should be ok. Deep breaths.

Eastman AC630BD --The Hot Blonde
Taylor 317
Rickenbacker 620 Midnight Blue
Yamaha FG700 (lives in Miami for family visits)

"Son, don't wait till the break of day, 'cause you know how time fades away..."
Old 10-06-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby b View Post
I am somewhat lucky here in Vancouver as the summer never gets too humid and the winter never gets too dry

I usually leave my balcony door open just a crack. For the last 4 months or so now the humidity in my living room has been btwn 45-55% . The last 2 week have been holding steady at around 50% .... my guitars could not be happier.
I grew up in the in Vancouver area. Lots of rain and high humidity I thought, not like from summer heat but just from the amount of rain. Have things changed?

Go Canucks Go!
Old 10-06-2013, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Was in Vancouver this summer, the traffic was a mess, but man what a beautiful area!! I'm sure the locals know how to avoid the tourist traffic.

Didn't mean to get side tracked here.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion