The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-09-2010, 09:02 PM

I use these on my 000-15s. I really like them.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:05 AM

These string recommendation threads pop up quite frequently, and there are so many subjective opinions that it becomes ever more confusing.
I have a similar guitar as yours, a 12-fret slothead, long-scale, 000 Martin. However, mine is Sitka over rosewood. Of course, the tonewoods have a major effect on the sound. I don't know if you are looking to accentuate the mellowness of the mahogany top, or brighten it up.
I will suggest, joining a small concensus here, that you should invest $6-$8 in a set of John Pearse phosphor bronze lights. I have experimented with many different strings on my guitar, and, IMO, these are best.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:13 AM

Default Boy do I disagree with some of the people here !

First of all, Martin Bluegrass strings are not medium-lights. They are mediums with light trebles. Big difference. Pretty good strings, but not great.

I think lights are too lights for your guitar, and D'Addario are extremely bright sounding. I do not like Elixir strings at all. They are slippery and just feel funny. If Elixir ever made a non-coated string, I would try them, since people like the sound.

Try these:

GHS Laurence Juber Signature Bronze 'True Medium' strings. They are medium on the outside and light on the insight. Fantastic, rich tone, and supurb playability.

John Pearse medium-light gauge 80/20s. I don't recall the serial number or the name of the strings, but they are just wonderful

Martin SP medium-lights. Very fine strings. You can also try the regular Martin medium-lights (M545) which are a little brighter than the SP's.

You have a wonderful instrument. I would love to hear it ! With a set of the above, of course. Good luck to you.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:30 PM

Another vote for the Martin FX strings. I've been pleasantly surprised by the sound and longevity of them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion