The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-20-2014, 03:40 PM

Default Carbon Fiber Guitars - 50 years down the road.

What are your thoughts on carbon fiber guitars 50 years down the road? We all know that vintage wood acoustics have lots of fans. Just curious if anyone thinks that 50 years from now if the vintage CF guitars will have a strong following?

Do you think the tone of today's CF guitars will be different than the tone of future CF guitars (perhaps CF manufacturing will change which will alter the tone)? Do you think people will actively seek out older CF guitars due to their "mojo"? I have to believe that the majority of CF guitars will still be with us in 50 years.

Note that I'm not talking about buying today as an investment or whether CF will replace wood guitars. Just looking for a discussion.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:14 PM

I wonder. While the niche is slowly growing it doesn't seem to be blooming. One of the drawbacks of being relatively indestructible and unchanging, perhaps, is the lack of "mojo" acquired as the years go by but they don't really age.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 11-20-2014, 04:50 PM

I think there is a much greater chance of obsolescence in a CF guitar because this is a newer medium that continues to improve. I think we have seen that with the very early CA's guitars. I think the market would have little toleration for a CF guitar that is not up to the standards of the current day. It is also possible that a new product comes out that blows CF away.

It is possible that certain unique CF instruments will become collectible especially if the product is discontinued. Mojo I think comes from being associated with musical stars of the day. CF has largely failed here.

Wood will continue to be the medium for the majority of instruments for the foreseeable future. Certain woods may not be available but wood is a renewable resource. It is also aesthetically pleasing and that will not change.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 11-20-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Mojo I think comes from being associated with musical stars of the day. CF has largely failed here.
While that's certainly true - ( Blue Oyster Cult playing Don't Fear the Reaper on CA's didn't really boosted the resale value of my GX!) - I was also talking about the wonderful look of an vintage gibson, say, where the scratches and bumps seems to add to the charm. Old CF guitars don't looked loved and worn in, they just looked scratched. Or maybe they need 500 years instead of 50.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Maton 425 12-string
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube

Last edited by tdq; 11-20-2014 at 07:12 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-20-2014, 06:02 PM

Not that I have any legit basis to have an opinion worth reading, but, hey, I've got to avoid work somehow ...

I think composite guitars will become more popular as the good wood becomes scarcer and people become more comfortable with alternatives. Someone may develop something other than CF that works even better. Or not. Since they're sort of high-tech, I don't think there will be a perception that the older ones are more valuable.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

I am firmly convinced that the mostly forgotten theremin will catch on at last and overtake guitar somewhere between 44 and 47 years down the road. All those carbon fiber and wood guitars we currently covet will be relegated to planters... probably for the "home brewers" of the day, to grow their genetically altered marijuana plants. The songs of the 60s that many of felt were "life changing" will be looked at as amusing, but the hair band tunes of the 80s will have come back around. High school marching bands will be playing "We're Not Gonna Take It," "You Give Love a Bad Name," and "Girls, Girls, Girls," arranged for theremin and wireless electric clarinet at half time for the Extreme Hoverboard Soccer Games.

Well, that's how I see it.

Captain Jim

(On the bright side, I won't be around to experience it. Unless my kid has my head cryogenically frozen... at which point I won't have any arms, so it still won't matter.)
Old 11-20-2014, 07:39 PM

Its an interesting question. I had a CA Bluegrass Performer which was of an earlier vintage. I have to say that was just as good sounding as any recent carbon fiber guitar I have played. It was also less expensive. Go figure.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:16 AM

I don't think vintage CF guitars will ever gain a big following (nothing like wood guitars). The newer CF models will undoubtedly continue to improve and I think most players will opt for newer models.

That being said, I believe 50-year old CF guitars will sound just as good as they did when they were new.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
I wonder. While the niche is slowly growing it doesn't seem to be blooming. One of the drawbacks of being relatively indestructible and unchanging, perhaps, is the lack of "mojo" acquired as the years go by but they don't really age.
That's what I'm wondering too. Old wooden acoustics can have a lot of mojo. Old CF guitars, once we get 50 years down the road, may not have accumulated any mojo over the decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfa View Post
Not that I have any legit basis to have an opinion worth reading, but, hey, I've got to avoid work somehow ...

I think composite guitars will become more popular as the good wood becomes scarcer and people become more comfortable with alternatives. Someone may develop something other than CF that works even better. Or not. Since they're sort of high-tech, I don't think there will be a perception that the older ones are more valuable.
I'm glad you chimed in, GFA and you make a great point. Somewhere down the line changes in CF manufacturing may lead to a guitar with more mojo.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Someone may develop something other than CF that works even better.
Well, there is the Ekoa material developed by Blackbird, used on their Clara Uke and El Capitan guitar. I haven't seen it in person but I do find it more aesthetically pleasing. Probably because it's more "wood" like.
Quote:
Since they're sort of high-tech, I don't think there will be a perception that the older ones are more valuable.
Good point. I'd been trying to sell my pre-peavey GX for less than half what a new one goes for and have had little interest. It does have a small amount of nicks and scratches - what I like to call "mojo" but the market doesn't seem to agree...
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Maton 425 12-string
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 11-26-2014, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

I think the biggest appeal in the future for CF guitars is for the professional musician. You see plenty of wood guitars used by pros that show a lot of wear and tear which potentially limits their life (these instruments lead hard lives as daily tools). If a CF manufacturer can produce guitars that match the sound of the best wood guitars, I see the more pros embracing them simply because they could be more reliable and consistent.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 11-28-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:

Are graphene guitars just around the corner? Imagine that possibility.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:49 PM

Graphene - the thinnest top ever!
Old 11-29-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
Graphene - the thinnest top ever!
With bracing used only for tone not strength (as some are today)...also to heavy up enough as to not blow away in a wee breeze
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-06-2014, 04:40 PM

I played a CF guitar for the first time a week ago and have to say I was pleasantly surprised - not $2500.00 surprised though. It did sound nice. Up till then I reserved opinion to the negative side of the argument. It was a Rainsong OM with a cut and the patchy-looking cloth fiber arranged in opposing placements on the top. I didn't really look it over stem to stern because, well, it's a mold-made box without any craftsmanship to inspect.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber