The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-18-2014, 06:24 PM

Default Hartke Acoustic Attack

So, does anyone own the Hartke Acoustic Attack pre and care to comment on it? I've found very little on it (one's on a local CL here...I'm interested). It does vaguely mention piezo's in the literature. But, just a reference. No data on impedance, etc.

Thanks for any head's up info about it.

BradM

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 11-21-2014, 02:40 PM

I had one for about a week to try out. At the time I was using a Lyric pickup which I felt needed a bit of warmth.

The problem with the Lyric in my guitar is it could do with some warmth and also needs excessive EQ cutting at around 400Hz and 800Hz. The Hartke certainly adds warmth to the signal but unfortunately it also enhanced the very frequencies I was trying to remove. So the effect was in direct conflict with my normal EQ settings.

This is why I didn't keep it.

I'm not sure how it works but my guess is it adds subtle overtones (mild distortion) to the signal ... more at around 100Hz ... and then progressively less the higher up the frequency range you go. It doesn't sound like fuzz distortion but comes through as a warming of the signal.

If you have a pickup that has a balanced sound I think it would be great. The tone controls work very well and it has a great sweep mid tone control so you can really dial in a nice tone. And the best part is that you can blend in the dry signal with the effect.

I don't know how it would work with a piezo .. the Lyric doesn't require hi impedance inputs to work.

I think it can be seen as a EQ with an blendable warmth effect.

This can be compared to the BBE Acoustimax ... EQ with added BBE effect. I found the Hartke warmth effect nicer than the BBE effect (I have a BBE Sonic Stomp pedal).

Hope that helps.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:28 PM

Thanks, Jan! I think I'm fairly settled on purchasing the Schatten DI Max as it will let me EQ and blend two sources. Plus, it routes the two through one TRS cable to make things even more simple on my end.

BradM

Old 11-22-2014, 03:52 AM

Hi Brad,

There really is no comparison. The DI Max is a serious piece of kit and if you can use the features (dual input, mic in etc) then it wins hands down as a swiss army knife for your input and DI requirements.

If you don't need/want the warmth generator the only thing the Hartke brings to the table is the very good EQ section with its sweepable mid.

But if your guitar doesn't need any surgical EQ correction then the DI Max has a very good EQ section.

If I had to choose between the two as a keeper it would be the DI max all the way. It reminds me a bit of the Headway EDB2 ... it even has battery power which is great!
Old 11-22-2014, 10:06 AM

Well, I hit the button and ordered the DI MAX...then...5 minutes later got a "sorry, it just sold out...may have more in a couple weeks..." Bummer, Im hoping it get's here before Christmas. Oh well.

Thanks for the affirmation it was the right way to go.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification