The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-18-2017, 03:58 PM

Default Got my two amps in...

'59 Fender Bassman re-issue and the Mesa Boogie Rosette.

First the Bassman. It was made in 1991 but it's in really nice condition with a lacquer coating on the tweed, The tweed covering is in really nice shape for it's age. Fender started making the re-issues in 1990, so this a very early model. The amp is very loud, and powerful. I played my Tele thru it and it sounded great, however the big surprise was when I played my D-35 with a Lyric pick up thru it...very nice warm tone. Then I played the Pono with a M80 pickup here again sounded great, nice warm tone. Then I played my Ibanez bass thru it and shook the whole house.

Mesa Boogie Rosette (New) --- I played the D-35 thru it for starters...sounded like a tin can until I setup the EQ, it took about 20-30 minutes to dial in a really nice sound, but now I can just leave it there, then I tried the Pono, made a few more adjustments and it sounded really good. Went back to the D-35 and it sounded great !! The Rosette sounds a little brighter than the Bassman, but the Bassman has a nice rich tone to it. Nice surprise with the Rosette was it came with a really nice amp cover. I wasn't expecting that.

I'm keeping both. These are both nice amps.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 10-18-2017, 05:43 PM

[IMG][/IMG]
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 10-18-2017, 06:25 PM

Talking

I just did a vocal sound check using a AKG C-1000 mic thru the Rosette,,, sounded fabulous. Another sound check on the headphones ....I used a set of Sennheiser 650's...incredible sound .. you could easily hear all the minor EQ setting changes...what a trip !!!!! I haven't checked yet but if the direct outs sounds as good as the headphone outs, I'll be getting fabulous recordings using this amp as a pre-amp into my computer.........

I'm thrilled with the sound I'm getting with this Rosette !!!!!
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 10-18-2017, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

I had an early Fender Bassman that I did a custom lacquer job on. I wonder if that is the one! Great amp. Loud as heck but outstanding for electric. It was my all-time favorite when I was playing loud stuff.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
I just did a vocal sound check using a AKG C-1000 mic thru the Rosette,,, sounded fabulous. Another sound check on the headphones ....I used a set of Sennheiser 650's...incredible sound .. you could easily hear all the minor EQ setting changes...what a trip !!!!! I haven't checked yet but if the direct outs sounds as good as the headphone outs, I'll be getting fabulous recordings using this amp as a pre-amp into my computer.........

Congratulations on your new amps! I'm a fan of both Fender and Mesa.
A Rosette wrapped in wood and wicker is extremely tempting.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Looks like you've got it all covered-great amps! Enjoy playing quiet...and loud! The best of both worlds and some beautiful amps.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:

If you want to be even more thrilled, you might still stick a mic in front of your guitar when you're recording in addition to just using Rosette's line out. The worst that could happen is you don't use the mic track ... but you will probably get a whole lot more depth and dimension with two sources recorded.

Regarding Rosette's vocal capabilities which were under discussion in another thread, in my preliminary probing, I'm pretty darned sure these will work out just fine. Right now I'm new to both the Rosette and an Edwina (Ear Trumpet Labs) mic, and I don't know what I'm doing, so I'm getting a lot of feedback, and issues with electrical wiring in my rural location have been exposed. I'll report more after I work through these.

I haven't tried my own Sennheiser phones, HD600s, so thanks for the reminder! Using phones may help me dial in a vocal sound when another person's not around to help.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Mesa Boogie Rosette (New) --- I played the D-35 thru it for starters...sounded like a tin can until I setup the EQ, it took about 20-30 minutes to dial in a really nice sound, but now I can just leave it there, then I tried the Pono, made a few more adjustments and it sounded really good. Went back to the D-35 and it sounded great !!
I've read only good/excellent reviews of the Rosette. I was planning to have one by now, but a really, really expensive (in terms of house and auto repairs and vet bills all falling together) mid August thru September has forced me to postpone it for a little while. The only negative I've read/heard is the idea that they take a little patience to dial in, but once there, wow! I found the same to be true with the Rosette Pre/DI.

I've never been overcome with uncontrollable GAS, but I'm really impatient to order my Rosette amp.

Thanks for your post.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:28 PM

I wanted to get the Rosette back when it first came out but money was tight then for me. It still is but PayPal offered me a deal to buy something over $600 on eBay, and they would give me 0% financing for 24 months....which worked out to about $42 a month, THAT I could afford, so I went for it. Now that I've heard it in person, I'm glad I did.

Adding a mic should indeed help the sound, not that it needs it though, but it can't hurt to try it....
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 10-19-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
The only negative I've read/heard is the idea that they take a little patience to dial in, but once there, wow! I found the same to be true with the Rosette Pre/DI.
I have zero EQ natural ability and I've avoided it my whole life ... and I had little difficulty dialing in an inspiring sound. I mean, yeah it's not the typical 3 knobs with Low, Middle, High. So if you've been doing that forever, I suppose it could throw you. For like a minute. But I found the EQ incredibly forgiving, as in like a high end channel strip, there's just variations of really good sounds as opposed to just one sound you could possibly use like on some amps.

Did I mention how gleeful I am that I need absolutely nothing in the way of quack removal. I'm sweating that not one bit. Just right in with a humble K&K Pure Mini and I'm deep into enjoyment. Possibly there's even more but enjoyment and inspiration work for me.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:03 PM

Boy did I get a surprise...I have a Strat with Gold Lace Sensor pickups in it....I plugged it into the Rosette amp and WOW what a fantastic sound I got !!!!!!!!!!

I know it's an acoustic amp, but it sure sounds great with electrics too !!!!

Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 10-29-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
'59 Fender Bassman re-issue . . . I played my Tele thru it and it sounded great, however the big surprise was when I played my D-35 with a Lyric pick up thru it...very nice warm tone. Then I played the Pono with a M80 pickup here again sounded great, nice warm tone. Then I played my Ibanez bass thru it and shook the whole house.
I have one of these (about a decade older than yours . . used, too), and it's one of the most versatile amps ever . . . as it appears you've noticed.

The only "issue" with it is if you want to get any distortion out of it (without pedals), you'll wake the dead . . or at least the neighbors. Hard to believe they didn't put separate gain and volume knobs on it to allow one to get distortion from it at much lower volumes.

Had a lot of fun with this with my Telecaster, some acoustics, and a Kala U-Bass.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Can I ask what sort of settings you found on the Rosetta that sounded best? Granted they may be different for every guitar. I briefly plugged in my Martin OMC-18e into a Rosetta at a guitar shop and I turned the knobs quickly, but could not get a sound that wasn't rather nasal. Granted I don't know the amp and I am not up to speed on how to use mid frequency knobs with the "Q" settings.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification