The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 10-17-2017, 08:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

Smile 3 new ToneDexter videos

Long overdue, we've just finished three demos that aim to answer all your questions. I'm sure we've missed some, but hopefully these demos will shed more light on what's possible and how to use this device.

James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 10-17-2017, 10:30 PM

Very cool, thanks for posting these!
Old 10-18-2017, 08:06 AM

Wow! Nice modeling with the Yamaha Silent Guitar. I didn't see that one coming.
|
I presume that the Silent Guitar's lack of tonal "personality" makes it a better platform for modeling than most other acoustic-electrics. I presume that it also helps that the Cordova WaveMap was created using the same pickup type (UST) as the Yamaha Silent Guitar employs.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:29 AM

I'm increasingly leaning towards the possibility that the Tonedexter is the best and simplest means of achieving a quality sound with the least material in my guitar possible. A worthy investment.

James, do you perceive a "hollowness" when you use the LB6? I'm unfamiliar with how your guitar sounds and I can't tell if I'm misinterpreting the correction of the piezo's exaggerated midrange or if it's not able to waveform the mixed phase crystals very well. It might also be something that could be adjusted for by experimenting with mic positioning and creating more than one map.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 10-18-2017, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Thanks James!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-18-2017, 09:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Wow! Nice modeling with the Yamaha Silent Guitar. I didn't see that one coming.
|
I presume that the Silent Guitar's lack of tonal "personality" makes it a better platform for modeling than most other acoustic-electrics. I presume that it also helps that the Cordova WaveMap was created using the same pickup type (UST) as the Yamaha Silent Guitar employs.
Yes, the lack of personality on the target guitar makes it work much better. You want lots of personality on the source guitar. What also helps is that a UST is limited as to how much personality it can hear in the first place. But since ToneDexter restores the missing personality via the WaveMap, the UST becomes an asset rather than a liability in this pursuit.

And yes, both guitars have similar UST stick pickups. Even the coaxial type is similar enough to these so as to work interchangeably. There is sometimes a bit of bass or treble EQ needed, but ToneDexter's EQ can handle that task.
James May Engineering
Old 10-18-2017, 09:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
I'm increasingly leaning towards the possibility that the Tonedexter is the best and simplest means of achieving a quality sound with the least material in my guitar possible. A worthy investment.

James, do you perceive a "hollowness" when you use the LB6? I'm unfamiliar with how your guitar sounds and I can't tell if I'm misinterpreting the correction of the piezo's exaggerated midrange or if it's not able to waveform the mixed phase crystals very well. It might also be something that could be adjusted for by experimenting with mic positioning and creating more than one map.
I do perceive that hollowness you mention. I am fairly certain it can be improved with better mic positioning, but I attribute some of it to the out of phase issue with the LB6. It seems that's the slight penalty you must endure in exchange for the huge amount of feedback immunity you get with the LB6.

It's more noticeable with chord strumming. I didn't notice it as much on the last demo I made (and posted) without strumming. That one used the same exact WaveMap.
James May Engineering
Old 10-18-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
I do perceive that hollowness you mention. I am fairly certain it can be improved with better mic positioning, but I attribute some of it to the out of phase issue with the LB6. It seems that's the slight penalty you must endure in exchange for the huge amount of feedback immunity you get with the LB6.

It's more noticeable with chord strumming. I didn't notice it as much on the last demo I made (and posted) without strumming. That one used the same exact WaveMap.
I agree with that observation, I heard it more during strumming. I would be curious if muting the strings plus a change in mic placement would make much of an improvement.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 10-18-2017, 09:24 PM

Thanks James. A very exciting product and leaning towards getting one. Can you tell more about the 'ultratonic' pickup you refer to? Not sure I have got that right.

Olson SJ CED/IRW, Charis SJ SITKA/MAP, Charis SJ ENG/IRW, Charis GC Thinbody SITKA/IRW, Lowden O25c, Larrivee C19
Old 10-19-2017, 08:08 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantin View Post
Thanks James. A very exciting product and leaning towards getting one. Can you tell more about the 'ultratonic' pickup you refer to? Not sure I have got that right.
See the link in my signature for more info about the Ultra Tonic Pickup, and feel free to PM me.
James May Engineering
Old 10-19-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
See the link in my signature for more info about the Ultra Tonic Pickup, and feel free to PM me.

Thanks, will check it out

Olson SJ CED/IRW, Charis SJ SITKA/MAP, Charis SJ ENG/IRW, Charis GC Thinbody SITKA/IRW, Lowden O25c, Larrivee C19
Old 10-20-2017, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

very interesting james, I've been thinking of picking up a yamaha slg-200s, the steel-string sister to the guitar you demo'd - any experience with that?
Old 10-20-2017, 04:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublro View Post
very interesting james, I've been thinking of picking up a yamaha slg-200s, the steel-string sister to the guitar you demo'd - any experience with that?
No direct experience with it, but would expect it would behave very similarly to its nylon string sister.

In other words, you should be able to play it through a WaveMap created on a "real" steel string guitar with a typical under saddle pickup and get usable results that are an improvement over the Yamaha SRT technology. You would put the controls on direct pickup with no mic blend.
James May Engineering
Old 10-23-2017, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

thanks james - by the way, that's one sweet martin you play in the training demo video. what model is that exactly?
Old 10-23-2017, 09:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublro View Post
thanks james - by the way, that's one sweet martin you play in the training demo video. what model is that exactly?
OM-C Jacque Stotzem model. 2007 I think.
James May Engineering

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace