The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-15-2017, 08:01 AM

Default PA question

Hi, I hope this is posted in the right section!!

Hi,
I have a PA system using two Yamaha DXR 10's which are quite enough for the solo venues I perform. Sometimes, I need to add a little extra "oomph" and for that I have a single Samson 700 watt 1 x 12" sub bass that has NO internal crossover. I want to protect the tops from receiving too much bottom end and causing clipping but I also want to avoid carrying a separate, external crossover.
As I work solely in mono, I was thinking of linking & driving the Yamaha's (in line) from the left (or right) chanel, and the sub bass from the right (or left) chanel and after setting each single channels eq., I would have independent control over the full range, either by using the chanel faders or the pan control or a combination of both.
Any one ever done this..............advice appreciated.
Danelectro DC59-12 (open G)
Generic Parlor
Banjo- (An ideal Cricket Bat)

Last edited by Onemanband; 10-15-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemanband View Post
Hi, I hope this is posted in the right section!!

Hi,
I have a PA system using two Yamaha DXR 10's which are quite enough for the solo venues I perform. Sometimes, I need to add a little extra "oomph" and for that I have a single Samson 700 watt 1 x 12" sub bass that has NO internal crossover. I want to protect the tops from receiving too much bottom end and causing clipping but I also want to avoid carrying a separate, external crossover.
As I work solely in mono, I was thinking of linking & driving the Yamaha's (in line) from the left (or right) chanel, and the sub bass from the right (or left) chanel and after setting each single channels eq., I would have independent control over the full range, either by using the chanel faders or the pan control or a combination of both.
Any one ever done this..............advice appreciated.
Tell us about the mixer you have. There might be a better way to do this--although it is true that the best way is to use a crossover.

L.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:36 AM

The mixer is a Soundcraft EFX8. Yes, I concur, a crossover would be best but I am just trying to avoid carrying extra hardware.
Generic Parlor
Old 10-15-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemanband View Post
The mixer is a Soundcraft EFX8. Yes, I concur, a crossover would be best but I am just trying to avoid carrying extra hardware.
Use your aux out for the sub, sending it only the signals that have significant bass (guitar, keyboard, bass, percussion with low end, etc.).

Louis
Old 10-15-2017, 11:13 AM

I believe the speakers also have a bass roll off switch on them. Utilizing this feature would also help protect the speakers.

BTW -Rolls make a small crossover (sx21) that's around the size of an effects pedal. I've been thinking about getting one to add a sub option to a CM30 when she loops her violin using a PitchFork pedal.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
Use your aux out for the sub, sending it only the signals that have significant bass (guitar, keyboard, bass, percussion with low end, etc.).

Louis
I concur. Run sub off an aux, and only feed the proper signals to that send. It's pretty common now in live sound to run subs off an aux, yours is just a smaller scale of that.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:43 PM

I use two Yamaha MSR400s (powered 12s) with a MG16xu mixer and a Kustom 12"sub and sending just the instrument that need the sub to it via the aux was very beneficial. I'd send a keyboard, bass guitar, my acoustic, and any male vocal who could sing low enough to touch 120hz. Really easy to dial in.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkbryan View Post
I believe the speakers also have a bass roll off switch on them. Utilizing this feature would also help protect the speakers.

BTW -Rolls make a small crossover (sx21) that's around the size of an effects pedal. I've been thinking about getting one to add a sub option to a CM30 when she loops her violin using a PitchFork pedal.
Yes. In addition to feeding the sub from an aux, you should use the HPFs on your DXR10's. Try both settings (100 Hz or 120 Hz), to see which works best for the stuff you're sending to the mains. Adjust the LPF on your sub to complement the setting on the mains.

Louis
Old 10-16-2017, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the help guys..got it sorted. I had this response on another forum but all your answers seem to provide similar routes to the same end and thank you for your much appreciated advice!!

Is this the model you have? https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AuroD1200 The LPF is essentially a crossover for the subs. The Yamaha should have a HPF (high pass filter). If you want full mono, it's easy. Run the signal from the board to the samson. Set the LPF on the samson at 100. Run a cable from the 'through' on the samson to the yamaha. Set the HPF on the yamaha at 100. You can experiment with the settings but just be sure to match the lpf to the hpf.
Generic Parlor
Old 10-22-2017, 11:28 PM

So, used the PA last night running the Yamahas in series from the right chanel, and the Samson sub bass from the left. Set the Yamaha LPF (switched) @ 120Hz and the Samson HPF (potentiometer) @ 120Hz too. The sound was incredibly good so thankyou for the advice.
The only reason I didn't use the aux. as a sub bass mix idea, was because there is no independent aux. master volume control on the mixer and doing it (as required) from the sub bass cab is impracticable. This way I can add/reduce bass levels simply & easily.
Anyway, that's me sorted! I hope this thread might be of help to others and thanks for the good advice!
Generic Parlor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification