The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-06-2010, 02:31 PM

Default Humidipak Recharge Experiment

Just for grins I placed all 3 spent Humidipaks (hard as a rock) in a large plastic zip lock bag with a large damp sponge for a week.

Guess what? They came out with the same jelly-like texture as when new out of the protective (airtight) wrap.

Am I on to something here that the Mfgr. doesn't want me to know about?

Makes sense if they humidify and de-humidify as well.

The pak liner does not appear any worse for the wear. Gonna be curious if they work like new back in the case. I also wonder if they are filled with the same absorbing crystals that are used in the Oasis brand humidifiers. or am I over analyzing?

Comments?
Old 12-06-2010, 02:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Dano View Post
Just for grins I placed all 3 spent Humidipaks (hard as a rock) in a large plastic zip lock bag with a large damp sponge for a week.

Guess what? They came out with the same jelly-like texture as when new out of the protective (airtight) wrap.

Am I on to something here that the Mfgr. doesn't want me to know about?

Makes sense if they humidify and de-humidify as well.

The pak liner does not appear any worse for the wear. Gonna be curious if they work like new back in the case. I also wonder if they are filled with the same absorbing crystals that are used in the Oasis brand humidifiers. or am I over analyzing?

Comments?
Dano,
Let's see if they cover the damage after the explosion occurs............

HE
Old 12-06-2010, 03:27 PM

Default Maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Dano,
Let's see if they cover the damage after the explosion occurs............

HE

Good Point!
Old 12-06-2010, 03:55 PM

My humidipaks solidified in the dry winter, rejuvenated in the humid summer.
Brad
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:47 PM

Interesting observation which more or less confirms my own findings.

I've been using my humidipak for over a year now and am still on the original set of packs. I keep a damp DIY wet sponge "humidifier" in the small storage compartment in the case and let the humidipack either absorb or release moisture as it needs to. Checking the moisture content in the sponge every few weeks has been working really well for me so far- and at over a year, it's been working great. And I keep my guitar stored next to a heater!

For those with rock hard humidipaks, try the cheapo damp sponge in the case and allow the humidipak to do its thing
Larrivee OM-03R
Old 12-06-2010, 06:47 PM

Default Longer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miteemike3 View Post
Interesting observation which more or less confirms my own findings.

I've been using my humidipak for over a year now and am still on the original set of packs. I keep a damp DIY wet sponge "humidifier" in the small storage compartment in the case and let the humidipack either absorb or release moisture as it needs to. Checking the moisture content in the sponge every few weeks has been working really well for me so far- and at over a year, it's been working great. And I keep my guitar stored next to a heater!

For those with rock hard humidipaks, try the cheapo damp sponge in the case and allow the humidipak to do its thing
I have to imagine the sponge in the case thing would take longer to re-humidify the Humidipak, wouldn't it? Maybe start with spongy HumidiPaks and then let them self-regulate?

Maybe?
Old 12-06-2010, 09:03 PM

Good to find another with similar findings. Thanks!

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ight=humidipak

2009 Taylor 414CE-LTD-R Fall limited
Old 12-06-2010, 11:28 PM

I am dealing with 90% humidity. Any ideas on how to remove moisture from the humidipaks?
Old 12-07-2010, 08:12 AM
I know that one

Seems I remember someone on the forum drying them in the microwave
Old 12-07-2010, 10:46 AM

From reading their patent (US5936178) the active in the pouch is a gel formed from an aqueous solution (containing salt or sugar) and a gel forming material such as sodium alginate (from seaweed).

The only problem I would anticipate in reusing them is that eventually the preservative may fail and the alginate could break down. When that happens the gel-like material could instead be more like a free liquid, which would certainly be more of a leak hazard. But if you rehydrate the pouch and it still squishes - go for it!
Old 12-07-2010, 11:35 AM

Default Sounds Good

To Me! I'm going for it
Old 02-23-2011, 10:04 AM

Default Humidipak Recharge

I have used two sets of Humidipaks all dry Carolina winter to water my Taylor GS7 and the replenishment works like a charm. I also get consisten humidity readings and no leaking or smell.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:12 AM

I guess this is one of those ymmv things but what I have found is that Humidipaks are MUCH better at absorbing moisture than they are at releasing it.

What has worked well for me is to use Humidipaks during the months when humidity is high and Oasis humidifiers in the months when humidity is low.

This strategy has worked out very well for me to the point where I stopped obsessing about humidity

Fender CD280S NAT
Recording King RO-127
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster
Fender American FrankenTele
Old 02-23-2011, 10:18 PM

This is very interesting. I'm in Las Vegas and go through 1 set per month per guitar for 4 guitars during the winter months. Probably average about 2 months per set in the rest of the year. I just ordered 10 replacement sets. It gets pretty expensive. I think I might give this a try. It's dry out here. Thanx!!
Old 02-24-2011, 09:22 AM

Default Vegas Conditions

Scot.
I am confident that you will be able to rehydrate the packages even in desert conditions quicker than they dry out in the guitar cases. I have gone through 3 replenishment cycles and feel that the packs are at 100percent.
I use filtered water to soak paper towels and put it in a ziplock bag with the dryed out bags.
To a previous comment about the packs being better for de-humififying than for humidifying: my hygrometer gives me constant readings either way.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion