The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-25-2017, 08:00 AM

My Tribute Blueboy has the Alnico pup in the bridge position. Very Tele like but the bucker in the neck position make it extremely versatile.

I have owned a Squier in the past, it wasn't close to the quality of my G&L Tributes (IMO).

I have never picked up a MIM Tele that felt as good in my hands as my Bluesboy. It is, by far, my favorite G&L (I have 3).

I got mine at MF as SDOTD for $299. An unbelievable bargain.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-25-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
That level of deal pops up as the SDOTD regularly. Sooooo tempting to the little hoarder that lives within me... Also so unneeded thankfully that I a am able to resist

But dang... Such a killer price!
Old 02-25-2017, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Having owned many American G&L'S and a couple of Tributes, the Tributes are spectacular for the price and probably the best G&L for the money. I still own more than 10 Americans but have sold many. I will not be buying any more as I have cut back to a more manageable number. The Tribute M2500 bass that I sold over a year ago was my main gigger for some time. Weight has become an issue at my age so if it isn't light in weight, I don't need it. -- Darwin
Old 02-26-2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I would only argue that the Fender sounds much better to you than your ASAT. Bear in mind that as I stated above they make the ASAT Alnico Classic which has telecaster pickups in it.

If I had a guitar that had my pretty much my favorite neck shape, I'd make sure it also had my favorite sound
I should add, I've had quite a few of both guitars, especially Fender, and the G and L stock pickups from the 1993 model are rather weak, but sound ok, to me! As far as neck shapes, I have a 94 PRS CU 24 and an 1988 Stratocaster with almost identical neck shapes and specs to the ASAT Classic.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:01 AM

Default G&L asat telecasters

I bought my USA made ASAT Classic Hollowbody in 2005 and it has been my favourite electric - especially playing live - ever since. Beautifully made, a neck profile to die for and I love the MFD pickups. And their finishes are gorgeous too: mine is a transparent red on swamp ash.

I got to play a tribute Blues boy a couple of years ago and it was an excellent guitar too. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 02-26-2017, 02:10 PM

I am not a snob when it comes to anything, except perhaps guitars.

I know there are guitars out there that probably feel and sound better than some of the guitars in the Fender range, but for me, seeing the name Fender on the headstock is special.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
I got to play a tribute Blues boy a couple of years ago and it was an excellent guitar too. I would buy another in a heartbeat.
When it comes to high quality Korean made instruments, I tend to think of them as just that: Korean made instruments.

The company on the sticker doesn't really matter. It's going to be a solid, playable instrument you can count on.

So the tributes are great. The Korean Epiphones are great. The early Korean Hamers, The PRS. You name it. If it comes out of one of the good Korean Factories, odds are it'll be a good instrument.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
I am not a snob when it comes to anything, except perhaps guitars.

I know there are guitars out there that probably feel and sound better than some of the guitars in the Fender range, but for me, seeing the name Fender on the headstock is special.
I've advised many potential G&L buyers that if they can't get over the headstock shape, let alone the lack of the name Fender, they will NEVER be happy with a G&L. Not a huge fan of that nipple hanging down myself! But the rest of the guitar helps me ignore it

in all honesty, I think the longer headstock on the ASAT does balance out the proportions of the guitar a little better than the tele. But the tele is the original. And beautiful as is!
Old 02-28-2017, 06:59 AM

Not sure if it is still the case, but the G&L Tributes used to have the standard USA G&L pickups in them which made them an even better deal since most imports usually carry import pickups. That being said, the G&L pickups have their own sound to them and if your looking for the classic Tele twang you'll be disappointed.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:08 AM

I love my G&L Tribute ASAT. It took a while to get used to the MFD, but now I wouldnt give it up at all, except maybe to by a USA ASAT.
G&L Tribute Legacy
Old 03-01-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
My Tribute Blueboy has the Alnico pup in the bridge position. Very Tele like but the bucker in the neck position make it extremely versatile.

I have owned a Squier in the past, it wasn't close to the quality of my G&L Tributes (IMO).

I have never picked up a MIM Tele that felt as good in my hands as my Bluesboy. It is, by far, my favorite G&L (I have 3).

Your original post inspired me to pick up a Tribute Bluesboy a week or two later when they dropped the price to a stupidly low $249, if I recall correctly. At that price, I figured that I could do anything to the guitar ... not that it really needed anything. Fit and finish were superb and the electronics were good enough. I was surprised, for example, to see full sized pots. Still, I couldn't resist, and the guitar has now been upgraded with a bone nut, Hipshot locking tuners, CTS pots, a CRL switch, and a set of custom Benson pickups. My total outlay for the guitar was about $500. Kind of ridiculous, because I could have picked up a used American-made Bluesboy for only a couple hundred dollars more, but this was more fun. And of course it's a completely different guitar other than the name and the shape.

Regarding Squier, I'd say that the Vintage Vibe series is close to the quality of a G&L Tribute but falls short in the pots and switches.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
Agreed as to your characterization re: big MFDs. As for the guy on youtube - take a look at his later vid on his new Fender Custom Shop tele - he's pretty enthusiastic.
He has now compared the custom shop Fender to the ASAT

Old 03-01-2017, 08:14 PM

In my experience, they can have flaws like any guitar. I have had a few over the years, and always seem to prefer them to comparable price fender branded guitars, provided they are US versions and have the glossy neck finish.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 03-01-2017, 08:36 PM

I have a USA Asat classic with mfd pickups and love it. Great guitar and no where as bright as a fender. Good all around guitar with flawless finish and great neck.

Tom

Toms Soundclick Page

Last edited by tammuz7000; 03-12-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
He has now compared the custom shop Fender to the ASAT
Yikes - he really cooled off on that Custom Shop rig. He sounds like he just broke up with his girl friend and lost his job.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars