The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-09-2017, 08:09 AM

Default New pickups in my tele-clone

I have a very early Godin Artisan TC, which is a very good guitar but I didn't like the tone of the pickups. They were dual rail humbuckers and had a kind of mild, strained-out sound. I just installed a set of Bill Lawrence T1 and T2 single-coils, which are their Roy Buchanan set, and the tone is just great. Instant tele-twang, and enough output to send my 1968 Bandmaster into a little pre-amp crunch, which is exactly what I was after. Real happy with this!
Old 02-09-2017, 08:14 AM

A world of difference good picups can make. Were the rails just cheap imitations? I've got a Duncan hotrail in one of my strat copies and it's got a great sound to it. The Joe Barden rails are imho the best picups in that style ever made, they were good enough for Gatton!

But true single coils definitely have that sound, even the best humbucker split will not have the same tone as a good single.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:15 AM

Also try Rose pickups, I put them in my partscaster and now it has amazing tone--

1933 Gibson L-00
2007 Taylor 110
2013 Taylor GS Mini
2018 Eastman E10M
1977 Sigma DR-9
2012 Republic Miniolian
2016 Recording King ROS-G9M

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars