The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-11-2017, 11:25 AM

Default Update Clapton Strat?

Hi all,
I've owned a Clapton Strat for almost 20 years. When originally purchased it from a pawn shop the bridge gold lace sensor was broken so I had it replaced. At the time I was into heavier music and I put in a Red Lace instead of the gold. So it had 2 golds and a red in the bridge position.

I'm thinking of getting rid of all the gold lace sensors and put in the vintage noiseless that currently come with to Clapton Strat. Also, any thoughts on the new noiseless pups that Fender recently released?

So:

1 - do nothing... keep as is.
2 - keep the gold lace but replace red with another gold.
3 - swap all for vintage noiseless
4 - swap all for the newer noiseless

What say you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2017, 04:33 PM

I say 2; in fact, try to find an old Lace Sensor. But maybe the more important question is, what do you think of Fender's new noiseless pickups?

I think Lace Sensors are a more interesting sound than the Vintage Noiseless. And neither are especially faithful to the traditional Strat sound IMO.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_M View Post
I say 2; in fact, try to find an old Lace Sensor. But maybe the more important question is, what do you think of Fender's new noiseless pickups?

I think Lace Sensors are a more interesting sound than the Vintage Noiseless. And neither are especially faithful to the traditional Strat sound IMO.

I've search searched all over eBay and reverb for an older Fender gold lace and I can't find one anywhere! Only newer lace.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
I've search searched all over eBay and reverb for an older Fender gold lace and I can't find one anywhere! Only newer lace.

Yeah, I can imagine. They do seem to be somewhat in demand, as apparently they're significantly different from the new ones.

I do think the Lace Sensor-equipped Claptons are pretty well-regarded. Certainly I've heard of folks specifying Laces for their Custom Shop Claptons.

But if you're not concerned about collectibility/originality there are some good aftermarket noiseless pickups out there. I like Fralins. Keith Urban puts DiMarzio Areas in his Claptons.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:59 PM
Cocobologist

I'm a big Clapton fan and always thought his 80's tone was about my favorite. For that reason, I would recommend option #2.

From personal experience...:

I have two Strats set up (Both Maple Fretboard) in the Clapton configuration (TBX/Mid Boost) -- One with Lace Hot Golds and one with Fender SCNs (SCN = Samarium Cobalt Noiseless - Originally developed by Bill Lawrence). They have very different & distinct tones -- The SCNs are warmer and, to be honest, a little flat. Not bad at all, but nothing to write home about. Actually works pretty well on jazzy type tunes.

The Lace Golds, on the other hand, seem to be more lively, have more spank, and take to overdrive better. I can get about anything I want tonewise from that guitar.

I can get the SCNs to liven up, but have to crank the TBX tone control wide open to get the same result I can achieve on the Lace Golds in the center detent position of the TBX. Much more versatility and tonal variety through the Lace pickups.

End result -- The Strat with Lace Hot Golds is sticking around. The SCN Strat? It's been reverted back to original electronics (SCNs saved for another day), and is getting prepped for sale. For variety, I have a third Strat with a Rosewood fretboard and Custom Shop 69's in it that is just killer for traditional Strat tones -- It's going nowhere!...

Hope this helps!

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 02-11-2017, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

I put DiMarzio Areas in my Clapton Strat and have been very happy. Dead quiet and a noticeable improvement from the N3's that they replaced. They have several winds to choose from so you can put together a set that suits you.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 02-12-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
I put DiMarzio Areas in my Clapton Strat and have been very happy. Dead quiet and a noticeable improvement from the N3's that they replaced. They have several winds to choose from so you can put together a set that suits you.

I'll check those out!

I'm leaning toward just trying to find another original Fender Lace Gold.

Old 02-12-2017, 12:00 PM

there was a recent thread regarding the new noiseless pickups in this section. you may want to do a search and see what those people thought.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 03-27-2017, 08:03 AM

Default Update Clapton Strat?

I know this is a little old but for a few months now I've been searching for an original Fender Gold Lace Sendor to bring my Clapton Strat back to original specs. I finally found one that's NOS!

Last edited by jrs146; 03-27-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:01 AM

Patience rewarded again!

NIB is a great find. Congrats!
Old 03-27-2017, 09:09 AM

So the last question is how hard is it to swap out a pickup? Or is it best to let a tech do it?
Old 03-27-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
So the last question is how hard is it to swap out a pickup? Or is it best to let a tech do it?
Youtube is your friend. Check some vids and back away if it's intimidating. It's very basic soldering. But if you haven't done it, and don't have the tools, it may be worth getting a quote before you dive in.

I mainly end up replacing jacks, but as long as you take a pic of what color goes where, there should be no problem.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars