The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-02-2016, 08:07 PM

Default Battery mount. better option?

I gotta say I'm tired of the velcro/battery bag setup coming loose and falling inside the guitar. Seems like 9 of 10 guitars do it. I even got a Gibson in the other day that had a screw through the velcro to hold it (from the factory). Everybody knows it's a problem. I've tried cleaning the wood first with Naptha. I've heard you can paint some finish under the velcro to keep it sticking, but that adds time to the repair. I like the old metal battery clip the best, but not sure if drilling holes in the neck block is the best option.

Any creative solutions?

Old 02-03-2016, 07:27 AM

I've never had that as a problem. The new sticky velcro pads are usually pretty good. The wood needs to be well dusted first.

A solution is to go with a passive pickup and an external pre-amp. Less stuff inside your guitar.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 02-03-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
I've never had that as a problem. The new sticky velcro pads are usually pretty good. The wood needs to be well dusted first.

A solution is to go with a passive pickup and an external pre-amp. Less stuff inside your guitar.
I get guitars in all the time where the battery bags are flopping around inside the guitar. Not necessarily those I've installed, but some have been. I usually just clean the wood well before, but I got the idea of using a little bit of finish on the wood from LR Baggs. I'm gonna start doing that and see if I get any more back. I'm a Baggs dealer so I may be doing an above average # of these.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair