The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-29-2016, 10:47 PM

Default Bulge under the 18th fret on the bass side

The guitar is an Eastman HE422CE that I bought a few years ago on eBay. I've had it for a few years now and I've never been able to get the setup just right. The low E string will always have a buzz on the higher frets, especially when fretting notes above the 9th fret. There is a bulge on what seems to be the upper horn on the top. It is pushing the fretboard up on the bass side. It seems to drop off around the 20th fret.

I'm wondering what may be the cause?

What, if anything can I do to level the bulge?

I could likely fix the setup issue by leveling down the frets themselves on the higher register, but I'd rather get at the root of the problem. I don't play much up there on this guitar though, so it wouldn't be the end of the world.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:24 AM

That side of the fret is not seated. I would try some superglue and a clamp. If that fails pull and replace. The "immediate area" or the entire fretboard will need a level and polish
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson 335 Dot
Bunch of Strats
Fender B-Bender Tele
Old 01-30-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinchriver View Post
That side of the fret is not seated. I would try some superglue and a clamp. If that fails pull and replace. The "immediate area" or the entire fretboard will need a level and polish
I do now see that fret sticking up on the 15th fret. Good call.

Any thoughts on the bulge in the top near that 17th fret side dot marker? My understanding is that a bulge behind the bridge is pretty normal, but I haven't encountered one in this spot before.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:34 AM

What is your basis for stating that there is "bulge" there? Does it buzz at one or more particular frets? Does a straight edge rock when placed against the guitar top?

What about it warrants paying any attention to it? Are there specific symptoms that are a result of this "bulge"?
Old 01-30-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
What is your basis for stating that there is "bulge" there? Does it buzz at one or more particular frets? Does a straight edge rock when placed against the guitar top?

What about it warrants paying any attention to it? Are there specific symptoms that are a result of this "bulge"?
Yes, when I place a straight edge on the body it rocks. The peak is centered on the body right below the 16th fret. The only symptom is the buzzing on the low E string when playing notes above the 9th fret. Any note from about 9 to 18 buzzes.

I'm not against doing the fretwork to fix the buzzing, but I wondered if there was an underlying cause or some other way to approach the fix.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:05 AM

There appears to be a crack in the finish along the length of the seam between the underside of the fingerboard and the top. That might indicate that the fingerboard has separated from the top. You can try sliding a feeler gauge or a piece of paper in the area to see if there is any space between the fingerboard and the top. You can also apply moderate pressure with you thumb to the end of the fingerboard at the soundhole and see if there is any movement of the fingerboard relative to the top.

Also check that the humidity level is adequate, preferable 40% or more. Check that the neck is not loose and can't be moved at the heel by manipulating the nut end of the neck. Also, sight down the length of the neck. What you are describing suggests there are two planes in the fingerboard: one from nut to body, another over the body. The most common causes of that are improper humidity, a detached fingerboard over the top and/or a change in neck angle.

If it is a bolt-on neck, ensure that the nuts are tight.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:56 PM

I'm guessing I'm having a humidity problem. We've been having a pretty crazy winter here in the midwest and I think things are getting a little dry. I did some more looking over the fretboard to figure out what's going on. The poster above noticed a fret coming unseated at the higher register. I noticed another one popping out on the 10th fret - which makes sense as my main problem is fretting the 9th fret on the low E string. I went ahead and got some thin CA in there and am clamping right now.

Picture of the fret popping out:

https://goo.gl/photos/tgktf6b6P9K6GP1S7

Still have the bulge though. It isn't really causing any problems though as the main buzz I was experiencing was on the 9th fret. The bulge is up near a register where I rarely if ever play. Took another photo from the headstock down that I think better shows it.

https://goo.gl/photos/oRqLeDuBUQxSGGSF7

I think at this point I'm going to try and rectify my humidity situation.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:23 AM

Judging from the last picture, it looks like there's something going on with the neck joint at the body that's causing that.

Formerly known as, "Will Kirk"
Old 02-05-2016, 07:35 AM

In the last photo it looks like typical neck/body hump to me. Is it a cut out guitar?
Old 02-05-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
In the last photo it looks like typical neck/body hump to me. Is it a cut out guitar?
Yes it is has a cutaway. Do you think the top side is compensating for the cutaway?
Old 02-05-2016, 08:45 AM

You state that you've had this guitar for several years and, during that time, there has always been an issue with buzzing from the 9th fret and above on the bass string.

It is not likely humidity-related. Your last photo clearly shows that the fingerboard is not "flat" or "level" in the upper frets. This could be due to a problem with the neck joint, it could be a problem with the fingerboard not being fully glued, it could be a problem with the fitting of the components when it was made.

That one of the frets is not fully seated is unlikely to cause a string to buzz when depressed against any of of the frets from 9 and upwards.

This is a job for a professional. He (or she) can determine whether or not there is a problem with the neck joint, the fingerboard being unglued, or ill-fitting of the components at the time it was made. If the neck joint is stable and the fingerboard fully attached, the remedy is likely to remove the frets and plane the fingerboard flat, then refret. If that is what needs to be done, expect to spend a few hundred dollars on that work.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleydejong View Post
Yes it is has a cutaway. Do you think the top side is compensating for the cutaway?
IT's hard to know. I'd heed Charles advice on this one. You have taken really good pictures but it's much better to see in person regardless.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
You state that you've had this guitar for several years and, during that time, there has always been an issue with buzzing from the 9th fret and above on the bass string.

It is not likely humidity-related. Your last photo clearly shows that the fingerboard is not "flat" or "level" in the upper frets. This could be due to a problem with the neck joint, it could be a problem with the fingerboard not being fully glued, it could be a problem with the fitting of the components when it was made.

That one of the frets is not fully seated is unlikely to cause a string to buzz when depressed against any of of the frets from 9 and upwards.

This is a job for a professional. He (or she) can determine whether or not there is a problem with the neck joint, the fingerboard being unglued, or ill-fitting of the components at the time it was made. If the neck joint is stable and the fingerboard fully attached, the remedy is likely to remove the frets and plane the fingerboard flat, then refret. If that is what needs to be done, expect to spend a few hundred dollars on that work.
I glued that 10th fret last night. It helped the buzz I was having on the 9th fret. But you're definitely right about the joint / fretboard near at the body connection. I'm going to see if the current fret fix is enough to keep her playable, but if issues keep arising I'll be seeking out a tech. Thanks for your help.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair