The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-17-2016, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Default Broken truss rod on old Guild D25

I have an old Guild D25 with a broken truss rod. It broke about 1/4" from the nut. It needs a neck reset anyway, so I'm not sure it's worth fixing. Ideas?

Todd
Old 01-17-2016, 10:45 AM

Default Broken truss rod on old Guild D25

I'm not a repairman or anything but I do love old Guilds. Hopefully the truss rod replacement can be done at the same time as a neck reset.

I hope it can be done at a cost that is worth it for you!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 01-17-2016, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Thanks!

Todd
Old 01-17-2016, 11:34 AM

The truss rod replacement will be facilitated by fingerboard removal. This will make the neck reset easier.

Regarding value versus cost of repair...

Even if it costs you 700 bucks CDN$, lets say, for neck reset, truss replacement, setup, possible new saddle... Sure, you might get an equivalent quality guitar for the same or less, but it won't be the Guild you have.

If we think of home ownership as an example, we don't usually think, "Oh, cost of maintenance over 50 years is going to be more than the cost to re-build a new home, so lets just tear it down after 25 or 30 years and build a new one..."

I don't let my clients put more money into a guitar than the guitar is worth, but if you can get this Guild up and running like new, or better than new for even $750 bucks, there could be fine value in it for you. I'd not give a judgement unless I saw the instrument, however. Just giving you some things to think about.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=guild+d25

BTW, I did some significant work on a Guild like this last summer. The guitar turned out really well - loud and a lovely tone. The price of the work was still well below replacement with an equivalent new guitar or a similarly restored 2nd hand guitar.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Last edited by Ned Milburn; 01-17-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Thanks! I was quoted $350-400 American for the reset but didn't know about the truss rod issue. I'm assuming another $250 or so. But that's a guess.

Todd
Old 01-17-2016, 01:15 PM

You do not need a new truss rod, or to remove the fretboard, for a break 1/4" from the nut (I assume you mean it's under the fretboard). The rod can be rethreaded without being removed, and space made for getting a socket on it to turn it.

You do need a repair person with some mechanical sense, who doesn't just replace things if they can be repaired. I believe StewMac makes a die just for this purpose, but one can also be improvised, as shown on Frets.com. You may even find that there is enough threaded section remaining that you only need to make room to get a socket on the truss rod nut.

Last edited by Howard Klepper; 01-17-2016 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
The truss rod replacement will be facilitated by fingerboard removal.
That is one way, but not the only way. It may be possible to slide the truss rod out the end of the neck once the neck is removed. With that in mind, I would remove the neck first to see if it is possible.
If not, I don't see removing and regluing a fingerboard as a big job. Truss rod replacement using the same type of rod is not that much work.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Thanks! I was quoted $350-400 American for the reset but didn't know about the truss rod issue. I'm assuming another $250 or so. But that's a guess.

Todd
Howard and John make some great points.

Regarding your guesstimation price...

If the present truss rod can be used, then your truss rod repair will be a lot less than another $250.

If the neck was being reset at the same time, and if the state of the truss rod warranted replacement and could be slid out, you're still looking at substantially less than $250.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Last edited by Ned Milburn; 01-19-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

I'm going to get a full assessment from my luthier this week. I'll keep you guys posted.

Todd
Old 01-19-2016, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Here's an update.

I took it in today for an assessment. They may be able to salvage the existing truss rod, but they don't know for sure yet. But, I do have a bit of bulging at the bridge and a little bit of bridge lift. He doesn't think the neck actually needs a reset. He thinks that with a fixed truss rod and bridge, he can make it work just fine. However, he won't know for sure until he gets into it. He thinks he can get this all done for around $250-300. If he does, then it'll be worth it. If he can't, and it's going to be more, he will let me know so I don't put a ton of money into it for nothing. Overall, he said it's a good sounding D25, with good projection, and if he can do it for what he THINKS he can, then it'll be worth it. But if he has to remove the neck and reset it, we might be looking at more than it's worth.

On a side note, he said not to worry about the fingernail divots since it really won't effect how it sounds or plays. Plus, he said refinishing it would take away from the mojo.

Todd
Old 01-19-2016, 06:49 PM

I am not a fan of recutting the truss rod nut further into the neck, yes I have done this at times, when the customer does not want to spend any money, but I do not warrant the neck from not breaking.

When you rethread and recut the exposed truss rod, you also counterbore the access hole further into the neck, usually about 1/8 of an inch behind the nut, so you have moved the twisiting momment when tensioning from the area with the volute and a bit more strength, to one of the thinnest sections of the guitar neck, really IMO not advisable.

Pulling the fretboard off and replacing it and refretting the neck is IMO one of the best processes (provided of course you cannot move it forward in the neck cavity)

It also deals with any slight need for a neck reset,

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 01-19-2016, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

He didn't really think that salvaging the TR was possible. The price he gave me was for removing the fretboard and installing a new TR. He said that if it was salvageable, it would be less, but he wasn't optimistic.

Todd
Old 01-19-2016, 08:17 PM

Then thats a good price

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 02-06-2016, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Update!

I picked it up from the repair guy today. He was able to salvage the truss rod, so he didn't have to take off the fretboard. He used a heat reset for the neck and fixed the bridge lift and belly bulge. The total cost was $200. So, that means I have $550 total invested. The tone is terrific and it plays like a dream. I'm happy I went ahead and fixed it.

Todd

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair