The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-06-2016, 11:42 AM

Default Overshaved Saddle

So I got a brand new guitar: http://slickdeals.net/f/8413699-yama...-free-shipping

Its really nice for that price! I'm impressed.

Anyway, I decided to try to set it up a little bit myself (first time ever).

I shaved the saddle a little to far so on the low e string, theres a slight buzz as some frets.

Can I shim that edge up with a little bit of paper?
Old 02-06-2016, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Please don't shim it with paper. Purchase a good saddle shim kit from Bob Colosi (guitarsaddles.com). This is the route to go for shimming your saddle the right way. The kit is inexpensive, and comes with detailed instructions, etc. I've used it several times with great results.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:50 PM

Anything you do to the bottom of the saddle should ensure it is flat and touching the bottom of the slot for it's entire length. Shimming one end is not the way to go, shim the full length and refit or go with a new saddle.
Tom
Old 02-06-2016, 04:11 PM
Dan - Charter Member

I have successfully shimmed saddles with polystyrene sheet from the hobby store. You could also use a piece of credit-card material or similar. I just cut it with scissors. I don't find it necessary to glue it on. As Tom mentions, it's important that the saddle is flat; don't just shim one end.

For less than the price of the shim kit, you could buy a new Tusq saddle ($9-$12) to replace the plastic Yamaha saddle. I had an FS700S, which I believe has the same-sized bridge slot. I replaced the saddle with a Tusq 9276, which is 1/8” by 3”. It was a tiny bit too thick and too wide, but a few seconds with sandpaper made for a perfect fit. (I had previously tried a Tusq 9110, which is 3/32" by 2.9". That wasn't thick enough; it tipped slightly.) Or, you could buy a new bone saddle from Bob Colosi for $25.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:32 PM

You could just noodle around with the buzz until you get a new saddle. Been there done that

Here's a suggestion: while getting a new saddle, why not get two or three? There's always a chance you may repeat the same mistake. Again, been there done that

Last, don't feel bad by overdoing your saddle. That's actually how you do it, now you have a template to know you should be higher than that.

Hope it works!

Last edited by rodmbds; 02-06-2016 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Typos

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair