The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2018, 07:42 AM

Default Martin Set Up Specs and other Martin specific questions

Martin GPCPA1

Anyone know where set up specs can be found? (Action, relief). I’d also be interested in what fretwork is used, if anyone knows for future reference.

Also, it appears to be VTS. Not sure how to confirm.

Not a fan of the PG.... considering making my own from RW ... I have a nice piece. How risky and difficult is it to remove the thin factory PG?

Finally, the guitar did not come with the DVD. I inspected the inside and noted there appears to be a mini USB jack without anything connected. Anyone know whether it should be open (nothing connected), and if so why it’s there?

Thanks - I appreciate it.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Here you go

Martin uses G-300 frets on most guitars. Most are 0.037” x 0.080”. About 2 years ago Martin switched to slightly taller frets that are 0.043” x 0.080”. Jescar makes both of these sizes (FW 37080 and FW 43080).

The pick guard is easy to take off. I use a hair dryer on medium and keep my hand on the pick guard. If my hand gets too hot then the guitar is to hot. Then you start at one end and very lowly take it off. Sometimes I use a plastic putty knife to help lift a corner. I peel it back with the grain. Just as John Hall does here:

Just know that all Martins except the Authentic series have finish under the guard to protect the wood. The Authentics do not and the finish is applied over the guard as they were done in the 30’s. There are many threads here that may help you. 3M makes a double sided pick guard tape which is available from Luthier’s Mercantile to install your new one. The RW pick guard may look cool, but be careful not to make it more than a veneer as you’ll end up damping the top vibrations too much with a stiff pick guard. I’m sorry but I don’t know anything about the GPCPA guitar amplification system as I’m more of a vintage guy. I hope that helps

Last edited by blindboyjimi; 03-21-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
Here you go

Martin uses G-300 frets on most guitars. Most are 0.037” x 0.080”. About 2 years ago Martin switched to slightly taller frets that are 0.043” x 0.080”. Jescar makes both of these sizes (FW 37080 and FW 43080).

The pick guard is easy to take off. I use a hair dryer on medium and keep my hand on the pick guard. If my hand gets too hot then the guitar is to hot. Then you start at one end and very lowly take it off. Sometimes I use a plastic putty knife to help lift a corner. I peel it back with the grain. Just as John Hall does here:

Just know that all Martins except the Authentic series have finish under the guard to protect the wood. The Authentics do not and the finish is applied over the guard as they were done in the 30’s. There are many threads here that may help you. 3M makes a double sided pick guard tape which is available from Luthier’s Mercantile to install your new one. The RW pick guard may look cool, but be careful not to make it more than a veneer as you’ll end up damping the top vibrations too much with a stiff pick guard. I’m sorry but I don’t know anything about the GPCPA guitar amplification system as I’m more of a vintage guy. I hope that helps

Thank you very much - very helpful!!!!!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion