The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-18-2018, 05:32 PM

The other angles have been covered pretty thoroughly, so I'll just say: go after the hotel too. Yeah I know, "We are not responsible for" blah blah blah, BUT ...

If they truly won't help, let people know - yelp, facebook, tripadvisor ... If it's a chain, go right to the top with the story. Keep following up.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

I'm sure allot of us have stayed in hotels that have safes in every room.

I take my guitar on vacation with me. I usually take it into the room with me. Maybe I should leave it in the car. I really don't know.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-18-2018, 05:38 PM

So sorry to hear this. Makes me angry that there are people with no integrity and just.. ughh. Don't get me started. Sometimes I think the world is on its way down the toilet and before long there will be more of them than there are good people... but I try hard to stay positive. Fight back by being kind and generous . And pray about it.

Again, sorry to hear this, what a bummer. +1 on filing a piece report, hope that's already done or in process. Next I would have an angry earful for the hotel manager. If it's a nice place like you say.. I wouldn't think they'd want their reputation tarnished by one bad apple.. id threaten social media and and spreading the word to never, EVER stay there, unless they cooperate fully with the police and do everything in their power to find who did it or replace it (if indeed an employee). I'm not sure how much responsibility they have legally, in this situation.. but I would think they should be somewhat responsible if your room was locked and only employees had the key?

Definitely food for thought. Best of luck and please let us know how it turns out. Real bummer
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 03-18-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Unless there was forced entry it appears an employee did the deed.
I'm not given to the unwarranted casting of stones, but this is my thought, too.

At the least, they have to own up to the fact that their rooms are not secure. They shouldn't shake this off too quickly. This happened when the room was empty. Suppose a bad actor entered when the room was occupied? That would be pretty bad press.

Of course, they may make the argument that you never had a guitar there to be stolen in the first place.

Yeah, it's hard to get a win sometimes.

Last edited by menhir; 03-18-2018 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:26 PM

I'm sorry for your loss!
Don't give up hope though. Forty years ago I had a D-35 stolen while hitchhiking and I got it back a couple of years later.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:29 PM

Angry

Three things:

1) ......
2) It would also be great if one of forum sponsors might step forward and give you some incredible deal (at cost) for a replacement guitar.
3) I wish you would name the specific hotel. They have some responsibility in this matter, and if they can't acknowledge that, then it would be just if many of us could post reviews warning others of staying at that hotel.

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-18-2018 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Edited item #1
Old 03-18-2018, 07:45 PM

So I filed a police report, called every local guitar shop and gave them a description and my contact, and spoke with hotel management.

They are going to conduct an internal investigation. I'm just going to have to stay on the ball on this.

I'm trying my best to step back and let go. Do what is within my power and leave it at that. Because at the end of the day it's just a piece of wood with strings. BBBBUUUUUUUTTTTTTT, it's a very weird emotion. A very very deep type of "bothered". I think "violating" is a good way to describe it. I hope none of you guys ever have to experience this.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:55 PM

The technology is here right now for a small location tracker to be hidden into a case, so at least if your axe gets stolen, you can see where it went.

Then you give the location to the cops, and see if they are willing to pursue it.

If not, you had better go armed.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 03-18-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdam123 View Post
So I filed a police report, called every local guitar shop and gave them a description and my contact, and spoke with hotel management.

They are going to conduct an internal investigation. I'm just going to have to stay on the ball on this.

I'm trying my best to step back and let go. Do what is within my power and leave it at that. Because at the end of the day it's just a piece of wood with strings. BBBBUUUUUUUTTTTTTT, it's a very weird emotion. A very very deep type of "bothered". I think "violating" is a good way to describe it. I hope none of you guys ever have to experience this.

Yes it is just wood and strings, but it was stolen and that naturally brings about a lot of different emotions that wouldn’t exist if it lost in a fire, flood, etc.
scott
Old 03-18-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
The technology is here right now for a small location tracker to be hidden into a case, so at least if your axe gets stolen, you can see where it went.

Then you give the location to the cops, and see if they are willing to pursue it.

If not, you had better go armed.
GPS units require a $10/mo subscription fee.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:22 PM

Have things gotten worse?
I've been retired 8 years now, but I traveled extensively for work and thought nothing of leaving my 2 to 3 k laptop in the hotel room, and I would think that was easier to steal and fence than a guitar would be.

Was I lucky, or is it getting to be a more dangerous world out there?
Old 03-18-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCity View Post
3) Try to figure out whether there are records related to the room. Does the hotel track the keys that open the door? (Probably not, but ask.) Definitely ask for security footage. And not just of the room -- check footage for the entrances and exits. One advantage here is that a guitar is pretty big, so if they have cameras on the exits, and someone left with it, it'll get seen.
If the hotel has electronic keys, they will absolutely have records of every key that accessed the door and when. Don't let them tell you otherwise.

Likewise, every entry/exit and all of the main corridors will have cameras recording activity.

It should not be all that hard for them to figure this out. It's just a matter of having someone spend the time to check the card access records and watch the tapes. If the hotel is not willing to expend the effort then apply some pressure.

Best of luck.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

I’m sorry this happened to you. I travel on an almost weekly basis. One thing I never worry about is having my guitar stolen from my hotel room, so I can imagine your sense of surprise and dismay. I hope your guitar is recovered quickly.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:07 PM

I might have to start traveling with a cable lock and a motion detector alarm.

Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender MIJ Telecaster Custom
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120
Godin Multiac Nylon Duet Ambience
Old 03-19-2018, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M123 View Post
If the hotel has electronic keys, they will absolutely have records of every key that accessed the door and when. Don't let them tell you otherwise.

Likewise, every entry/exit and all of the main corridors will have cameras recording activity.

It should not be all that hard for them to figure this out. It's just a matter of having someone spend the time to check the card access records and watch the tapes. If the hotel is not willing to expend the effort then apply some pressure.

Best of luck.
^--- This. And because of this, make sure you talk to more than one person at the hotel. Just in case through blind bad luck you happen to report it to the thief or an accomplice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion