The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-19-2018, 08:36 PM

kinda what i was thinking run the guitar into the kk trinity pre and out into
the red eye, keep the gain down on the kk..
And dang!!crowder that tone is really nice. now i want
to try this myself.. dang!!

Last edited by varmonter; 03-21-2018 at 07:18 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mike View Post
A way around the K&k mic power issue. Maybe this will give you some ideas.

I use a k&k meridian mic for my guitar, but had problems with feedback at high volume. I HAD to keep the preamp that came with the mic because it produces the power for the mic. SOLUTION I run this preamp into the xlr in of an ART tube mp project, switch on the phantom power for the K&K pre. I ran the 1/4 " out into the front end of channel 1 of my AS50D. This set up is quiet and loud. I leave the bass flat and treble at 3. On the ART the low cut filter is switched on.
Do you mean with the notch filter and phase switch on the AS50D and the EQ controls on the K&K preamp you couldn't eliminate feedback? I'm trying to understand why inserting another preamp into the signal chain helps. Maybe the low cut filter on the ART tube MP?
Epiphone Dot
Old 03-20-2018, 03:46 PM

I haven't been impressed with the K&K pickups but this one sounds very natural. Good playing.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotofantom View Post
Do you mean with the notch filter and phase switch on the AS50D and the EQ controls on the K&K preamp you couldn't eliminate feedback? I'm trying to understand why inserting another preamp into the signal chain helps. Maybe the low cut filter on the ART tube MP?
i thought he meant using the kk pre basically just to power
the mic.,?
Old 03-23-2018, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

OP here, checking back in.

I have set up a little Volto-powered board to use with my Red Eye. I have the Red Eye with an Empress ParaEQ and TC tuner in the loop.

I'm currently relying on battery power or phantom power for the Red Eye. At home I use Phantom. Last night I played a songwriters showcase, and I didn't want to unplug the venue's DI box, so I just ran the output from the Empress ParaEQ into the tuner they had set up as a mute switch.

I was really pleased with the way it sounded, and I had at least five people come up after my set to ask about my rig. I guess that means it sounded good. And I placed first out of ten in the event, so it was a good night.

@groberts I still have my K10's but I decided to get a Touchmix8 for my small rig. I had the ZED10-FX but I also had a Behringer XR18 in a rack that I used to use with my band. I thought the TM8 could actually replace both. so I sold them and got it to use going forward.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:02 PM

Necromancy is your friend . After agonizing about what to put in my 2019 Martin D28, I ended up talking to Daren at Fire Eye. They are now shipping the Red Eye Twin with a switch on the "B" side for phantom powered internal mics, not modded, but stock. Yee freakin' ha. That should do it for me. K&K Trinity PU system plus installation and Red Eye Twin all for under 500 clams. While I have a Zed10 fx to fix the phantom power issue, I play a lot of venues including open mics, where I do not get to drag my own PA along. Go me . (Daren is awesome).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification