The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-30-2017, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Default 5-String Banjo Therapy For Guitar Doldrums!

Has anyone else discovered an altenative musical instrument for what you may consider therapy for your guitar-playing doldrums? I have, and it's the 5-string banjo, which, at 14-years-old, is the first musical instrument I attempted to play but abandoned after a year for the guitar. I've recently rediscovered the banjo and it has spurred a new refreshing desire to play music that also transfers back to the guitar. Another instrument I'm thinking of trying is the fiddle. It would be interesting to hear what your alternative-instrument musical journey has been like and how it's affected your guitar playing.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 07-30-2017, 03:56 PM

I've always wanted to learn to play the banjo! Any good resources out there for absolute beginners? Books or youtube videos you recommend?

I'm constantly alternating between guitar, piano, ukulele and sometimes mandolin. Far from being a virtuoso at any of them, but it keeps things interesting
Old 07-30-2017, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenshoe View Post
I've always wanted to learn to play the banjo! Any good resources out there for absolute beginners? Books or youtube videos you recommend?

I'm constantly alternating between guitar, piano, ukulele and sometimes mandolin. Far from being a virtuoso at any of them, but it keeps things interesting
I'd start with anything Clawhammer related, which is what I'm learning now. Way back when, I started out with Pete Seeger's "How To Play The 5-String Banjo" book. Although a great resource, it started out with a C-tuning and not open G, which is probably the best tuning to start with. Just look on YouTube for any videos that are Clawhammer-instructional and -performance related. Clawhammer is the traditional 5-string banjo style and although it feels awkward at first, it quickly becomes second-nature with time and practice. Strange as it may seem, did you know that Lindsey Buckingham has a very Clawhammer-style of guitar playing? Watch videos of Fleetwood Mack and see!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 07-30-2017, 04:19 PM

Thanks! Incredibly helpful. Clawhammer - good to know some basic terms and the more common tuning. I didn't know that Lindsey Buckingham's fingerpicking was similar - I'll have to go and look at old concert videos on the youtube!
Old 07-30-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
...I've recently rediscovered the banjo and it has spurred a new refreshing desire to play music...
Just stay calm...

Sit down, breathe deeply...

Have a glass of water...

Lock up the fingerpicks...

You can overcome this if you have the willpower - we're all here to help...
Old 07-30-2017, 06:51 PM

I'll suggest you veer over to Banjo Hangout, with it's 105,000 members pursuing all things banjo.

http://www.banjohangout.org/forum/

Work towards a decision on which style of play you prefer and go from there. If you're doing clawhammer there are scads of free resources and lessons available. Use the search box at the website to look up Josh Turknett's free lessons as one suggestion.

http://www.banjohangout.org/topic/298553/1

You're not really straying too far from the tree; remember that some of Keith Richards most memorable guitar lines were done on a 5 stringed Tele with a re-entrant (high strung) fifth string installed; basically just another form of 5 string banjo.

You CAN always choose to do something like pursue Steve Baughman's clawhammer guitar technique, too.

https://youtu.be/q9Me42csgzU

Others also do clawhammer banjo; a bit from Molly Tuttle:

https://youtu.be/xed8z2ue-sE

Last edited by Rudy4; 07-30-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:54 PM

For me, its these boys.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

The mountain dulcimer is a very nice alternative.

www.vinesguitars.com
Old 07-31-2017, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Banjo, yes. Banjitar, yes. Dulcimer, yes. Mandolin, yes. Bass guitar, yes. Hand drums, yes. It's all fun and a great way to switch things up and not get too bored.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:25 PM

I have a lot of doldrums therapy, or to be quite frank, distractions from guitar. It was mandolin first, than banjo, than ukulele, than piano/keyboards, and now I am eyeing a pedal steel.

I agree that clawhammer banjo is a fantastic way to go as a soloist and you will be surprised how much you can do on your own and how many ways you can apply it. Molly Tuttle has applied her clawhammer banjo technique to her guitar playing and it is pretty awesome.

I will warn you that you don't just "pick up" the fiddle like you would another instrument. Bowed instruments are entirely a beast unto themselves, and nothing you know (besides musical theory) will cross over to help you learn. I have been tinkering with fiddle for a year or so but have a long ways to go. My daughter is learning suzuki so I am learning with her on my own.

But congrats on the Banjo playing. Learning old fiddle tunes is fun and clawhammer is mesmerizing.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 08-01-2017, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Clawhammer banjo for me. I am woefully bad at it but it is great to mix it up and gives me ideas for the guitar that I may not have explored. And, I would probably like to try to play octave mandolin if I had one.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-01-2017, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Just stay calm...

Have a glass of water...

I locked my banjo in the car when I went into Burger King for a bite to eat and when I came out the car's side window was broken and there was now another banjo along with mine on my back seat!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 08-10-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Has anyone else discovered an alternative musical instrument for what you may consider therapy for your guitar-playing doldrums? I have, and it's the 5-string banjo, which, at 14-years-old, is the first musical instrument I attempted to play but abandoned after a year for the guitar. I've recently rediscovered the banjo and it has spurred a new refreshing desire to play music that also transfers back to the guitar. Another instrument I'm thinking of trying is the fiddle. It would be interesting to hear what your alternative-instrument musical journey has been like and how it's affected your guitar playing.
Violin was my first instrument, as I moved through the orchestra and ended up on bassoon. When I joined the folk music folks, I started with autoharp, then 5-string banjo (Earl Scruggs' "How To Play The 5-String Banjo" is still the best for learning bluegrass), then 12-string guitar and finally six-string guitar.

The band I'm in keeps my music expanding. It's pretty eclectic: country, folk, light rock, old jazz, gospel, bluegrass - basically anything acoustic. I play mostly 6, 12 and banjo, but occasionally take turns on bass and mando, and even a snare drum. My classical background comes into play when we do Duelin Banjos: my "intro" fills responding to the guitarist include a bit of Jesu Joy, Lara's Theme and Star Wars.
(and a couple of banjos, autoharp, recorders...)
Old 08-10-2017, 07:12 AM

Default 5-String Banjo Therapy For Guitar Doldrums!

If I could get my ring finger to roll properly, I'd also be playing banjo Scruggs style. I like it. It's fun spices things up. I'm only able to get the thumb and two fingers to roll. It sounds OK. I probably just need to get a 5 string resonator banjo and work it out.

Plus, in folk and bluegrass circles, everyone asks you to sit in when you have the banjo. They certainly don't need another old dude on Martin D28 banging away.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Just stay calm...

Have a glass of water...

LOL. Best response.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments