The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-27-2017, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
For any interested Brits or Europeans, there's a ToneDexter listed for sale in the UK / EU over on the "AGF Classifieds - Other" section:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=474266
Now with revised pricing, and available worldwide!
Old 03-18-2018, 02:10 PM

I have a question about Tonedexter. It's not related to this thread but there are already many Tonedexter oriented threads and I didn't want to create one.

So, can Tonedexter load IR files (say, in wav format) which were not created by it? In other words, is Tonedexter an IR loader (with many other features)?
Old 03-18-2018, 03:16 PM

No, Tonedexter does not load external IRs.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-18-2018, 05:16 PM

It's my understanding that this will be supported in an upcoming firmware version (v1.40 and above). It's already documented in the most current version of the User Guide. Look toward the end of the document.

I'll link to the documentation folder on their website, where User Guides are stored: http://audiosprockets.com/documentation/
Old 03-18-2018, 09:08 PM

Maybe James May can comment, but I thought that feature was meant to COPY a ToneDexter wavemap from one unit to another. I was under the impression that the wavemap might have some proprietary aspects.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-18-2018, 09:19 PM

Of course it has to be a Tonedexter file. It's a proprietary format. But I think the intent is for Tonedexter IR file-sharing to begin with a firmware update coming soon.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:19 PM

I really don't understand why you would want somebody else's Tonedexter wavemaps, except as a curiosity or an experiment. What is really great about the system is that it is entirely specific to your guitar. I have an OM-42 wave-maped and a 1937 ladder braced Kalamazoo wave-maped and I have tried swapping them out, trying the OM on the Kalamazoo and so on, but it is just a curiosity. It always sounds best on the guitar for which it was created. Would it be cool to try a 1938 Martin OM wavemap on my modern OM? I guess so. It might work, it might not, but I'd rather spend time making the guitar I have sound the very best that I can.

What is really so great about the Tonedexter system is that you can sit there and work out the best mike selection and microphone position, the best combination of factors for that specific guitar, and keep it—that becomes the amplified sound of your guitar. Or keep your three favorite options. But it is for that particular guitar. And it takes very little time to create the wavemap. I think it is tremendous.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 03-19-2018, 12:19 AM

I have the Martin D18e Retro which has 9 sound images from a 1938 D18....pretty cool idea, but no idea how accurate the sound would be, though it does sound great!

A couple of downloadable TD wavemaps would be good to compare with ones I make....tone, volume etc...to check mine are in the same quality.... good for confidence..even one that could come with TD when new. But after that, the reason I bought it is for my guitar sounds.

BluesKing777.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
I really don't understand why you would want somebody else's Tonedexter wavemaps, except as a curiosity or an experiment. What is really great about the system is that it is entirely specific to your guitar. I have an OM-42 wave-maped and a 1937 ladder braced Kalamazoo wave-maped and I have tried swapping them out, trying the OM on the Kalamazoo and so on, but it is just a curiosity. It always sounds best on the guitar for which it was created. Would it be cool to try a 1938 Martin OM wavemap on my modern OM? I guess so. It might work, it might not, but I'd rather spend time making the guitar I have sound the very best that I can.

What is really so great about the Tonedexter system is that you can sit there and work out the best mike selection and microphone position, the best combination of factors for that specific guitar, and keep it—that becomes the amplified sound of your guitar. Or keep your three favorite options. But it is for that particular guitar. And it takes very little time to create the wavemap. I think it is tremendous.
I have made some wavemaps on two different
guitars. both kk equipped. i find i like a wavemap
i made on a custom taylor. I like to use my martin d28s
with a sunrise mag pup played thru this taylor
wavemap.. go figure. It sounds great..!!
So if a friend has a tonedexter and you plug
your guitar into his TD and he has this wavemap
that is your holy grail. He says "heck i don't remember
how i made it" ..But i can share it with you.,
Just playing devils advocate ... But i can see a big
advantage to file sharing here.

Last edited by varmonter; 03-19-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:14 AM

http://audiosprockets.com/video-demos/

If you go to about 5:40 on James May's "examples" video that's on the above web page, you can hear how he uses the WaveMap from a Cordova acoustic-electric with a Yamaha Silent Guitar. In this particular instance, the modeling works spectacularly well, in my opinion. A primary reason that it works, according to Mr. May, is that both guitars are equipped with undersaddle pickups.

In any event, modeling is certainly possible with ToneDexter. My suspicion is that it will work best with UST-equipped guitars, and that it will work best when the modeling "platform" guitar is a thin-bodied guitar with a rather dry and in-your-face acoustic sound.

Its interesting to note that my best success with the Fishman Aura technology was using a little thin-bodied Cort 00 size guitar with one of the Aura Spectrum's OM guitar sound images. That was indeed modeling, or "image casting", as the Fishman folks prefer to call it. I should also mention that the Cort was an Aura-equipped guitar with its own model-specific sound images. For my personal taste, however, it sounded much better with the OM sound image. (I turned the Cort's onboard Aura off when running a signal through the Spectrum.)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification