The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-13-2017, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Default Fishman Loudbox Mini v Artist

Hello,

I have a Fishman Loudbox Mini which I use at small gigs. I play an acoustic guitar with a K&K mini pickup, a bandmate plays an electric guitar, and we have three female vocalists. We typically play venues of under 100 people, but occasionally play at fairs on outdoor stages. Usually (not always) we are hooked directly into a PA system. I like the fidelity of sound and portability of this amp.

Do you think the Loudbox Mini suffices, or would it be helpful for me to have a more powerful amp like the Loudbox Artist? It is really hard for me to tell from the stage.

Thanks.

Martin OM28 (European Spruce/EIR)
Collings OM3A (Adirondack/EIR)
Greven OOO (Lutz/Brazilian)
Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
ARK Senorita S6-12 (Adirondack/Mahogany)
Circa OOO-12 (European Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Old 06-13-2017, 10:39 AM

The Artist is a far more capable amp with its dual, discreet channels, tweeter level control, dual discreet FX, feedback notch and far more complete DI options.

In your situation, I'd definitely use the Artist.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:08 PM

I had the Mini and it was great, but I traded up to the Artist. The Artist is a good bit more powerful and has many additional features than the Mini. The Artist is capable of handling pretty much any solo gig situation unless you play a large auditorium.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 06-13-2017, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

I haver both but use the Artist every week. The Loudbox Mini is my quick plug in amp at home. But it can pull a fair amount of weight in a pinch!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-13-2017, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

I had the Mini, great little amp. Eventually upgraded to the Artist. More power and features, the most important one for me being phantom power for my Red Eye pre-amp. Lot more amp but still relatively small and light.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:46 PM

According to the user manual, the K&K Pure Mini works best with an amp with an input impedance of 0.5-1.0 MOhm. The Fishman Loudbox has an input impedance of 5 MOhm. Apparently this leads to over-boosting of the bass. There are other amps with a better impedance match to the K&K. A pre-amp can help. I don't amplify much and I plug my K&K equipped guitar directly into a cheap Crate amp and turn the bass down really low. It sounds pretty good!

As to your original question - I might look into getting an amp with a impedance matched to your pickup so you might not need a preamp.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:52 AM

I've had a Loudbox Artist for a couple of years. I chose it over the Mini after reading a previous thread like this one ....

I have not really used it to play out , apart from back yard. I have two K&K equipped guitars, one B-Band and a couple of no-name magnetic p/u guitars.

I don't have any pre amps, (well, the B-Band is an active p/u, with on board eq).
I find that some tweaking of the gain/e.q. controls on the Artist can get a very good sound out of any of 'em.

One issue a lot of people have with both these amps is that the flimsy vinyl covering can tear too easily, probably not built for the rigours of the road.

There is a thread somewhere here where some people have re-covered them and one guy re-built them into lovely lacquered wooden cabinets, of same dimensions.

The aux socket is a great way to play backing tracks and live recordings (eg You Tube content). Very punchy, and loud, oh yes, very LOUD.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I had the Mini, great little amp. Eventually upgraded to the Artist. More power and features, the most important one for me being phantom power for my Red Eye pre-amp. Lot more amp but still relatively small and light.
In terms of size and weight the Artist is only slightly larger and weighs a bit more. If you can afford the Artist I think it's the better value. Just my two cents?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-17-2017, 09:11 PM

For me, I have the mini and used to have the Artist. I like the portability and size of the mini, and I bring one of my powered speakers to di out to for larger places.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:54 AM

I have both and use both frequently at gigs and for practice. I like the mini better. While the Artist is more powerful and has more features, the mini's simplicity and tone appeal to me more. If I play a large gig I just attach a powered speaker to the DI out.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

I have a Loudbox Mini. It gives you pretty good sound for the price and it's loud enough that I have gigged with it in a pinch.

Although I baby my equipment the vinyl covering on my amp shows a surprising number of nicks and tears. The folks at Fishman must be aware of this problem. It's surprising to me that they haven't come up with a better covering.

If I were buying a Loudbox today I'd spend the extra money and go for one of the models with a nice wood cabinet. The vinyl covering simply doesn't hold up well.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone28 View Post
I have both and use both frequently at gigs and for practice. I like the mini better. While the Artist is more powerful and has more features, the mini's simplicity and tone appeal to me more. If I play a large gig I just attach a powered speaker to the DI out.
Hi Bone28, how would describe the difference in Tone?

Martin OM28 (European Spruce/EIR)
Collings OM3A (Adirondack/EIR)
Greven OOO (Lutz/Brazilian)
Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
ARK Senorita S6-12 (Adirondack/Mahogany)
Circa OOO-12 (European Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Old 01-02-2018, 12:11 AM

I own a Mini and a Performer.

99% of the time I take the Mini. My dreads all have K&K Pure Mini pups.

Weight is an issue with me now (72 and a torn right shoulder rotator cuff) and the Mini excels at portability. I’ve found no need whatsoever to use a preamp. I’ve tried several and heard no sonic advantages.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:06 AM

I have a mini which I love for home and hobby use. When the vinyl covering began deteriorating I contacted Fishman support and was told they would re-finish it for $50 (plus shipping). The man also told me they have changed to a sturdier material. This was last year. I opted for a custom wood cabinet. Fishman also markets the mini and possibly the artist in their own wooden cabinet, mahogany I believe.
Epiphone Dot
Old 01-02-2018, 08:29 AM

I had both. Mini is great for the hobbyist, but Artist has a lot more bells/whistles for a lot of situations.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification