The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-19-2010, 03:49 PM

Default Taylor 355 12 string

Just picked up my first Taylor, a used Taylor 355 12 string, this week. Put a Fishman pick-up in it and played it for the first time in church today. Have long wanted a 12 string, but had a hard time finding one that both fit my hand, had a good balanced tone, and didn't break the bank. The 355 really fit the bill on almost all counts. Had some problems getting the guitar to tune up and was struggling to get a good sound from it when the salesman came over, listened to the guitar a bit and asked it he could take a look at it. He checked out the tune, took a look at the neck then took the guitar back to his shop tech. He, in turn, checked the neck, gave it a quick tweek, then re-tuned the guitar. Suddenly, the sound was much sweeter! The guitar sounds great. I'd like just a bit more bass out of it. It's a bit on the bright side. Don't know if that will change as the guitar ages and I play it more or if a change in strings will help (the strings are a bit on the old side).

So far, I really have only one complaint. When I was checking out the gutar in the store prior to purchasing it. I was playing it sitting down. Today in church was the first time I played it standing up. With the large headstock to accomodate the 12 tuners, the head is really heavy and throws off the balance of the guitar. So playing it standing up with a strap means applying constant pressure with my elbow on the lower bout or pushing up on the neck with the left hand (which doesn't help my fingering any!).

As this is my first 12 sting - wondering how most of you 12 string owners tune. Do you normally keep your 12's down a step (D G C F A D) for tension reasons? Does anyone know if the 355 is sufficiently braced to handle a standard tune? Oddly to me, the guitar came back from getting the pickup installed tuned down a half step.
G.V. Rubio Estudio
Rainsong Shorty
Old 09-19-2010, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musictag View Post
Just picked up my first Taylor, a used Taylor 355 12 string, this week. Put a Fishman pick-up in it and played it for the first time in church today. Have long wanted a 12 string, but had a hard time finding one that both fit my hand, had a good balanced tone, and didn't break the bank. The 355 really fit the bill on almost all counts. Had some problems getting the guitar to tune up and was struggling to get a good sound from it when the salesman came over, listened to the guitar a bit and asked it he could take a look at it. He checked out the tune, took a look at the neck then took the guitar back to his shop tech. He, in turn, checked the neck, gave it a quick tweek, then re-tuned the guitar. Suddenly, the sound was much sweeter! The guitar sounds great. I'd like just a bit more bass out of it. It's a bit on the bright side. Don't know if that will change as the guitar ages and I play it more or if a change in strings will help (the strings are a bit on the old side).

So far, I really have only one complaint. When I was checking out the gutar in the store prior to purchasing it. I was playing it sitting down. Today in church was the first time I played it standing up. With the large headstock to accomodate the 12 tuners, the head is really heavy and throws off the balance of the guitar. So playing it standing up with a strap means applying constant pressure with my elbow on the lower bout or pushing up on the neck with the left hand (which doesn't help my fingering any!).

As this is my first 12 sting - wondering how most of you 12 string owners tune. Do you normally keep your 12's down a step (D G C F A D) for tension reasons? Does anyone know if the 355 is sufficiently braced to handle a standard tune? Oddly to me, the guitar came back from getting the pickup installed tuned down a half step.
The Taylor 355 12-String is made to be tuned to concert pitch. No need to worry about it!

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-19-2010, 06:07 PM

Play at concert pitch with light gauge strings in confidence ...no issue.

But as an option, try the elixir medium set and tune a full step down (to D); it sounds wonderful! Very "beefy" tone down low with a more solid bottom end ...and better balanced against all that jangle one gets from the octave strings. I did this on my 655 and loved it ...made the whole guitar sound better, IMHO! BTW, Taylor said its perfectly safe so no worries there.

Edward
Old 09-20-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musictag View Post
Maybe get one of the straps that ties at the neck? Might be more comfortable?

I get GAS for a 12-string on and off but so far have not pulled the trigger. If I did, the 355 is one I'd really enjoy having

Enjoy!

2005 Taylor 914CE
2003 Pavan TP-20
2004 Samick JZ4 Archtop
2005 Squire Fat Srat
2010 Laguna LD1 Little Brat
Old 09-20-2010, 04:15 PM

I have my 12s tuned to D, down two half-steps. Much easier for this old coot to play

2009 CA Cargo Raw, 2006 Collings OM-1 SS light build, 2004 Taylor 714ce, 2000 Taylor 310K, 1991 Martin HD-28, 1971 Martin 0-18, 1967 Guild F-30

2006 Ovation Legend 6756LX 12 string, 2004 Taylor 354ce 12 string, 1976 Guild G312-NT 12 string (dreadnaught shape)

1966 Martin T-15 tiple, Mele koa ukulele
Old 09-22-2010, 08:32 PM

Cool

I agree with the other posts- no need to tune down whatsoever. If you do, than you will need a capo to bring it back up to pitch if you are playing with others on a worship team- an unnecessary hassle, at least to me.

I used to own a 455ce- a slightly different animal, but similar. I found that as the guitar aged, the bass became a little more pronounced.

Enjoy your new Taylor 12 string- they really are nice guitars!
Martin DX1ae
Fender CD 60SCE-12

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion