The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-12-2010, 01:58 PM

Default Pickup for my Lowden

Hey all, I just recently picked up a Lowden F32c and I just love it. I need to add a pickup system to it since I'm going to be using it live for when I play solo flatpicked, fingerpicked and also along with backing tracks. A lot of strumming, mostly acoustic rock tunes...

So, George Lowden recommends either the Highlander or the Fishman Ellipse Blend system. I'm leaning towards the Highlander (perhaps the iP2 so I can add an internal mic, perhaps) but I'm also interested in the Aura technology and the upcoming Anthem from Baggs.

So, a few questions:

Does the Aura Spectrum DI require a passive UST or will the highlander work?

Does anyone know the release date for the Anthem? Does Baggs have a split-saddle option for the Element (which is required for the Anthem system, correct?)?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Dave
Old 03-12-2010, 02:07 PM

I have a K&K Pure Western Mini in my O25. Minimally invasive installation and I think it sounds good.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:00 AM

A friend of mine just got a K&K Trinity fitted to his Avalon (same chaps as who did Lowden of old) which works well...

Joe

Patrick James Eggle Kanuga (K&K Trinity system)
Simon & Patrick SP6 (JJB Electronics Prestige 330)

Electric stuff

Fender MIJ 1993 Jerry Donahue Telecaster
Fender MIJ 1989 Stratocaster
G&L ASAT (1992)
Epiphone Riviera (1996)
Matamp 1224
Orange AD30

+ too many effects
Old 03-15-2010, 05:10 PM

Great AXE! I've had my Lowden o25c for about a year now. It took me a long time to figure out what to put in it. I have a K&K set up as well. But My Lowden is a jumbo. the Western Mini's are brilliant for my guild dread not, but I needed some extra control of the sound, so I have a split saddle under the saddle as well in my lowden. I use the onboard K&K twin preamp. We a little eq fixing through a purer sounding recording console I've got it sounding really nice. I wish the K&K was easier to use. The controls are inside accept for two volume pots. But Western minis sound great! K&K under the saddles are the best under the saddles I've heard. This is basically what I have... http://www.kksound.com/powermixpure.html

I could imagine the Ellipse would be great too. Don't know anything about the highlander. You should also take a look at the Bagg's Anthem SL Tru Mic system. It wasn't around when I was looking.

Lowden O25C
Martin OOO 1935
Gibson 335 custom
'68 Reissue Custom Fender Strat
Old 03-15-2010, 07:18 PM

lots of Lowden players use a Sunrise along with some kind of soundboard transducer. The Sunrise seems to work particularly well with them. I have a Sunrise and a McIntyre in mine.
that's me on guitar
Old 03-15-2010, 07:39 PM

Royd, do you have a live audio example of your setup?
Old 03-15-2010, 11:56 PM

I have used that setup since the early 90's through a Raven blender. The recordings at the soundclick link below all use the pickups with a mix of microphones. The later ones have less external mic and more of the pickups - Big Job, Beautiful Day, and Heartbeat. On those, I panned the external mic (an AKG something) to one side, the Mc to the other and the Sunrise down the middle. The earlier pieces (from the Alexis d CD with the standing stones graphic) have more complicated setups with multiple external mics. The guitars were an L25C from '86 on the earlier pieces and an O25C Custom built in 2000 on the later.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=106838

I don't have anything with just the pickups.
that's me on guitar
Old 12-24-2017, 03:42 PM

Default pickup for my lowden

I've tried the K&K with the internal mic, sounds great in a Collings I played but do not really care for it in my Lowdens - I've tried twice now and it's just a lot of work. I've tried the LR Baggs M80 but not what I want. If any of you have the LR Baggs Anthem, which Lowden recommends, I'd really like to hear your thoughts. I may continue to mic the guitar, not my preference but it has worked pretty well for the most part. Thanks!
Old 12-25-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keary18 View Post
I've tried the K&K with the internal mic, sounds great in a Collings I played but do not really care for it in my Lowdens - I've tried twice now and it's just a lot of work. I've tried the LR Baggs M80 but not what I want. If any of you have the LR Baggs Anthem, which Lowden recommends, I'd really like to hear your thoughts. I may continue to mic the guitar, not my preference but it has worked pretty well for the most part. Thanks!

A word of warning on the Anthem - if you look at Lowden Guitars site and go to the ‘Shop’ section, it has the ‘altered to fit’ Anthem!
The Lowden braces must be in the way of where the Anthem control unit normally goes, and the Lowden also has a reinforced soundhole....too thick for the thumb control.
I had an Anthem ordered to put in my Cargill custom, similar (not copied, no) braces to a Lowden.....no good! Cargill is still pickup less and waiting for somebody to invent a better system!

Edit.....the Lowden shop has the Anthem with the undersaddle made for the split saddle Lowdens.

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 12-25-2017 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

I have a K&K Trinity with external blend pre-amp in my Mcilroy A30c (your Lowden's twin son of a different Mother).It delivers an awesome natural amplified tone. Highly recommended.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:24 PM

Trance Amulet. If it’s good enough for Jackson Browne, it’s good enough for me.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David MacNeill View Post
Trance Amulet. If it’s good enough for Jackson Browne, it’s good enough for me.
Unfortunately, the Trance doesn't fit in the Lowden due to bracing position
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 12-25-2017, 11:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
Are you sure about that? I know Gary told me he didn't feel the Trance was a great fit for the Lowden, but I thought it was due to the pinless bridge, which still seemed to me to be worth a try. K&K fits in a Lowden, so I don't see why a Trance wouldn't. For what it's worth, Pierre Bensusan had a Trance in his Lowden at one time, and I recall it sounding excellent.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:40 AM
Charter Member

I used a Baggs M1A in my LSEII, which is a shallow stage version of the F32c. I liked it, but then switched to the M80 and liked it more...no affect to unplugged tone, great features, other then reaming the end pin for the jack, there is no invasive work to saddle or bridgeplate etc. Keeps the guitar organic for when you decide to unplug as it removes easily without slacking or removing strings. Just tweak the poles, adjust placement, and its plug n play with a nice warm tone.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
Hadn’t thought of that — bummer. Perhaps try the M80. I had great luck with a M1A and have heard the M80 is even better. Just don’t torque it down, especially if you have a cedar or redwood top. If you want something more stealthy, look at a Sunrise rig. It’s what I used before I switched to an Amulet stereo rig.

Last edited by David MacNeill; 12-26-2017 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Clarity

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification