The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 02-04-2009, 08:51 AM

Default Resonator Incessant Buzzing

Hi all,

I have a Regal RC2 Duolian with a buzz that will not go away. I've taken the guitar apart, checked everything I could, tightened everything that can be tightened, and still the buzz will not go away. It still buzzes with new strings, too. The buzz occurs when I use a slide.

One thing that seems to reduce the buzzing is to tighten the truss rod, but it's as tight as i can get it with out making the strings buzz when you finger the frets.

Will a new cone and/or bridge help this? I have tried all tips that people suggest (pressing down on bridge/cone, shifting cone, new strings...).

Help!
Old 02-04-2009, 09:41 AM

Return it to the store where it was purchased. They should take care of it.
David's CDs
Old 02-04-2009, 10:22 AM

Thought of that... I don't live there anymore, I'm halfway across the country.

I'm trying to save some $$, just wanting to know if anyone has been able to fix an issue like this without new parts?

Last edited by jonhebert; 02-04-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:16 AM

Another thought, would getting a new bridge and cone guarantee getting rid of any buzzing?
Old 02-04-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonhebert View Post
The buzz occurs when I use a slide.
Are you sure it isn't a technique issue with the slide?
Old 02-04-2009, 11:42 AM

Try Elderly Instruments, They have a Resonator Guru repairman in their service department, they are very knowledgeable on resonators. Good Luck
Old 02-04-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Hi all,

I have a Regal RC2 Duolian with a buzz that will not go away. I've taken the guitar apart, checked everything I could, tightened everything that can be tightened, and still the buzz will not go away. It still buzzes with new strings, too. The buzz occurs when I use a slide.

One thing that seems to reduce the buzzing is to tighten the truss rod, but it's as tight as i can get it with out making the strings buzz when you finger the frets.

Will a new cone and/or bridge help this? I have tried all tips that people suggest (pressing down on bridge/cone, shifting cone, new strings...).

Help!
I have a Fender FR-48 that developed a similar problem. I checked out everything like you did and finally tried putting a piece of felt under the tailpiece. No more buzz. It didn't look like the tailpiece was touching anything, but apparently it was. It would happen when I was using a steel and laying the guitar flat in my lap.

If that doesn't work, try Bryan's suggestion about working on your slide technique.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:56 AM

Default Repair in N.O.?

Anyone know any expert repairmen/shops in or near New Orleans?

I'd love to send it to Elderly, location dictates otherwise.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:09 PM

dawhealer, funny you mention that, I did put a piece of felt like material under the tailpiece, and I though for sure that would fix the problem, but not quite. I suspected my technique might be part of the problem. I play with a pick and tend to hit the strings pretty hard. Taking a more subtle approach seem to help with that, so maybe that's my issue. I tend to be heavy handed in my playing on acoustic, and that's translating to the resonator, too. Thanks for all the input, it's helping.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I suspected my technique might be part of the problem. I play with a pick and tend to hit the strings pretty hard. Taking a more subtle approach seem to help with that, so maybe that's my issue. I tend to be heavy handed in my playing on acoustic, and that's translating to the resonator, too. Thanks for all the input, it's helping.
The technique I was referring to is in the left hand, not the right. Are you muting behind the slide?
Old 02-04-2009, 12:23 PM

Default muting

Yes, I'm playing with the slide on my ring finger (can't master the pinky at all!) and muting with the pointer and middle.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Yes, I'm playing with the slide on my ring finger (can't master the pinky at all!) and muting with the pointer and middle.
OK, so it sounds like it is an issue with the guitar. I'm still kind of surprised that it only buzzes when you are playing slide, but if you're muting well, then the slide probably isn't the issue.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:04 PM

Default strings?

Could it be strings? Because if I could guess at pinpointing the sound, it sounds like string buzz. I'm using martin 80/20 bronze medium gauge. I tried some heavy gauge strings, but the neck bowed a lot and there was too much tension I thought. I've read that phosphor strings are better for a resonator, is that true?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments