The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Charlie View Post
I host an open mic. As such, I have had the chance to listen to, and mix sound for, hundreds of different guitars plugged in.

While none of them sound as they would acoustically, there are significant differences between all of them as plugged in instruments, so the notion that all acoustic guitars sound the same once they are plugged in is total bunk.

The size, shape, tonewoods, quality of the guitar and quality of the pickup can all be heard in the amplified sound (along with the quality of the player, of course!). What also makes a difference is whether the pickup is passive or active.

Having said that, not all high-dollar, high-quality guitars are meant for amplification, especially those with a deep bass response, which can come across as "boomy" or "muddy", even when mixed properly. IMO, a good stage guitar accentuates the midrange, de-emphasizes the bass, and eliminates the "ice-pick" highs often heard on cheaper plugged in acoustics.
Interesting insight. As an open mic host, I imagine you have some routine guest who bring the same guitar each time. Based on all the guitars you've heard plugged in, do you have a short list of favorite guitar-pickup combinations?

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 03-21-2018, 07:16 AM

Yes, this is my main guitar for amplified gigging and playing at home acoustically. It is remarkably similar in its amplified sound to what it sounds like acoustic, with the only drawback(acoustically), being single note soloing.

It is a 1977 Lawsuit Era Ibanez, modelled after the Gibson L-5 Premiere. It came from the factory with no pickup, and the Gibson Johnny Smith pup was added later. It's carved top adds greatly to its excellent acoustic and electric sound, with lots cut, chop, and sparkle. Love this guitar, I couldn't imagine being without it.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

My favorite guitars acoustically are my J-45 and Martin DM and both have pickups. K&K in the J-45 and JJB in the DM, but neither of them sound as good plugged in as my Ibanez AVC6 with a JJB.

And no I don't buy the "they all sound the same plugged in" story either, because they don't. But as soon as you plug in, the acoustic factors go out the window and it's the interaction of the guitar and the electronics that takes over. I've heard some amazing sounding acoustics that just didn't sound good at all plugged in, likewise I've also heard some that sound like cardboard boxes acoustically that were magic plugged in.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 03-21-2018, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

* I rotate the only 3 guitars I own in my performing schedule as a full-time solo musician; 1) a Martin D18 with M80, 2) a Takamine KC 70 with Cooltube 3) a Martin 00018e Retro with F1 Aura Plus...all three serve me well almost equally both unplugged and amplified.

** "My guitar only louder" isn't always best for my music plugged in as I play everything from Bob Marley to Bob Seger sometimes at high volume outside at tiki bars along the coast. So in that regard my Takamine edges out the two Martins by a small margin in warmth, sustain and punch without being brittle... the D18/M80 and 00018e Retro are close with the Retro's F1 Aura+ being a bit more versatile and most acoustic with it's Ribbon Mic Images plugged in.

*** HOWEVER, there is something about the D18 with the M80 that I really like that If I had to choose one out of the three overall to be my unplugged and plugged in player, the D18 would be my choice. The Takamine would follow in close second and then the 00018e Retro...

**** I actually prefer the Takamine KC 70 OM by a small margin, unplugged over the 00018; the KC is a warm, lively, punchy OM with a lovely unplugged tone! It has a warm presence in the timbre, especially in the low end and mids that is wonderful all the way up the fretboard on every string...it is my only cedar top now.

eric

Last edited by noledog; 03-21-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:48 AM

I put a Fishman Ellipse Aura pickup that can hold up to 4 stored Aura images of that guitar with different mic's in my Martin 000-18. It's astonishing how much it sounds the same plugged in as it does un-plugged, its a great pickup/pre-amp system you can control from the soundhole.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:36 PM

My experience has always been that I have to start with a great sounding unplugged instrument to end up with a great sounding plugged in instrument, so yes, my best sounding unplugged instrument is also my best sounding plugged in instrument.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:10 AM

Not at all. Other than the Rainsong, none of my acoustic guitars have pickups in them. If I need to amplify the sound I run a Royer ribbon microphone.

When I'm playing electric, the Probett Rocket III through a Victoria Regal is my first choice.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion