The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2018, 01:24 PM

Default Customer service from Bourgeois Guitars

I wanted to take a few minutes to talk about the customer service I received from Bourgeois Guitars. It isn't very often that you have an opportunity to tell a story like mine that has a positive outcome, so I would like to share my experience with the forum.

About a year ago I bought a Bourgeois Aged Tone Vintage D from Carter's in Nashville. It was everything a diehard grasser could ask for in a flatpicking guitar, and I have talked about it extensively on this forum. Unfortunately it took a fall off of a guitar stand at a jam, and suffered a tiny, hairline crack in the heel. I sent it back to Bourgeois for repairs. They repaired the crack and refinished the neck (I had worn off some of the finish on the neck).

When I got the guitar back a month or so later, the repairs to the neck were perfect, but there was a foot long crack in the side of the guitar. The box looked like it had fallen off of a conveyor belt and been run through by a forklift. Two corners were folded like an accordion, and there were two large gashes clean through the box, one of which matched up perfectly with the crack in the side of my guitar.

And so began a four month long odyssey through the various levels of UPS bureaucracy. Due to yet another mistake by UPS, the guitar was shipped back to Bourgeois Guitars without my consent or permission (it was my understanding that UPS was collecting my guitar for examination in the claims process, but for some reason it was mismarked in their computer routing system as "Refused By Recepient" and therefore shipped back to Bourgeois Guitars. So now my poor guitar has gone from South Carolina to Maine, from Maine back to South Carolina, and now all the way back to Maine once more).

It therefore fell to Bourgeois Guitars, and in particular CEO/CFO Bob Smallwood to act as my advocate in this matter. It took 3 months for UPS to examine the guitar, and initially my claim was refused. Despite the obvious damage to the box, UPS suggested that, because the case was not visibly damaged the damage to my guitar must have occurred outside the box and outside the case. Since the guitar was obviously in tact when Bourgeois boxed it and shipped it, and since no one opened the box until I received it, the implication by UPS was that I damaged my own guitar after it arrived and was trying to pass that damage off as shipping damage.

Now, when Bourgeois informed me of this, I must admit that it was not my finest moment, and I said some things about them, and particularly about Bob Smallwood that I regret.

Despite my rudeness, he continued to advocate for me to UPS, and eventually the original decision was reversed. I had very thorough photographic documentation of the unboxing with time stamped photos that showed recept of the package at 1:39 pm, unboxing the guitar at 1:41 pm, photos of the damaged guitar at 1:43 pm and an email to Bourgeois guitars with the photos and a description of the damage at 1:45 pm. I guess UPS finally understood that their wasn't time for me to unbox the guitar and cause the damage in that tiny window of time.

So, with UPS accepting responsibility, Bourgeois was able to repair my guitar.

I received the guitar on Monday. They replaced the bracing and glued the crack and refinished the guitar. I know that there is a crack, but I can't see it, and the guitar still sounds fantastic.

So, I want to thank Bob Smallwood and Bourgeois Guitars for obtaining a favorable outcome to a most dire situation. There were other people at Bourgeois who deserve to be recognized, but my sense is that they have no desire for limelight, and so I will not mention anyone else by name, but the repair work done on my guitar is simply perfect. There is no other word that does it justice. The folks that build these guitars are artisans of the highest order.

Last edited by posternutbag; 03-21-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Great story!

There is a "new regime" at Bourgeois for the last couple of years, and they are in an updated facility. Dana is energized, and they are making some of the very best guitars ever (over 7000 now!!!!)

Very happy for your outcome and agree that they've taken it to the next level with service at Bourgeois.

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 03-21-2018, 01:38 PM

That's a fascinating story and, as a new Bourgeois customer (DB 00 Sig.) I'm heartened. Too bad your journey was so frustrating for you at times but I'm glad in the end it's all worked out thanks to your persistence and the fine folks at Bourgeois.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Yes, so glad things had a good outcome and that you posted here. I can certainly understand your frustration but big of you to admit that you reacted rudely in the moment. We are all human and do have those moments but it is great when things settle down, folks involved can make it right and keep the bigger picture in mind.

Best,
Jayne
Old 03-21-2018, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Great story. Yes, they are a great company with terrific people. They make wonderful instruments, but they provide so much more with great personal attention and service. I bought (and still own) a wonderful OM about 3 or 4 years ago that had a minor buzz that no repair tech could figure out. Bourgeois wanted to take a look. They refret the guitar and shipped it on their dime. It still plays perfectly. I made a trip to their old shop in Lewiston, ME to meet the crew. It was my pleasure. Here’s Dana working on a guitar while I was there.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:59 PM

Good news about Bourgeois....

and typical for UPS. So the lesson is - document EVERYTHING before and after a shipment. Take pics of the guitar and case before it goes in the box....show the packing, show the outside of the box.

Get a receipt (and take a pic) before you leave the UPS drop-off location.

When it arrives, never let it just be dropped off. Always get a signature, even if you have to have it shipped to your office....and take pics of the box before opening, during opening....and after opening.

Sucks, but I've seen enough claims denied to not be confident in easily resolving any claim with UPS.
Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender MIJ Telecaster Custom
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120
Godin Multiac Nylon Duet Ambience
Old 03-22-2018, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Didn't know that they were in a new setting with some new team members. Glad that they new group is so helpful and responsive.

I visited the old shop and have dealt with the staff on an occasion or two. Always extremely helpful. I think they really consider their guitars "their babies" and want them to continue providing pleasure to their owners. They seem willing to do anything within reason to help their owners enjoy the instruments to the max. Great company building great guitars.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

So glad to hear the happy ending. I have to wonder if UPS gets tons of fraudulent damager claims and somehow forget their humanity through the process. Why they think a musician would want to damage his own custom guitar for a repair is utterly beyond any logic - even money grabbing logic. Sorry for their crazy way of dealing with you.

Bourgeois guitars....here's what comes to my mind: innovation, excellence, vintage tone, beauty, cheerful customer service.

Dana was way ahead of his time, getting the old Martin OMs back into popularity 30+ years ago.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion