The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-16-2017, 08:11 AM

Default Dbx gorack

Just purchased the DBX gorack and having a hard time with hissing. I a going from my TC Helicon Play Acoustic to dbx to powered speaker. I don't have hiss when going direct from Play Acoustic to powered speaker.

I bought the Dbx gorack since I wanted a little eq and feedback prevention. It works perfect - minus the hissing issue.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Just purchased the DBX gorack and having a hard time with hissing. I a going from my TC Helicon Play Acoustic to dbx to powered speaker. I don't have hiss when going direct from Play Acoustic to powered speaker.

I bought the Dbx gorack since I wanted a little eq and feedback prevention. It works perfect - minus the hissing issue.
Marty...

Try turning down the output of the TC unit when routing through the GoRack, then adjust the output of the GoRack as needed to drive the speaker. You're probably "double-amping" the signal as is and amplifying the self-noise of the TC.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:11 AM

Thanks. I forgot to say I get hiss when nothing is plugged into the gorack. I tried several different powered speakers and even my loudbox mini. It always hisses. Could it be I have a bad unit or bad power supply.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Thanks. I forgot to say I get hiss when nothing is plugged into the gorack. I tried several different powered speakers and even my loudbox mini. It always hisses. Could it be I have a bad unit or bad power supply.
Check one more thing:

Make sure you're going into a LINE LEVEL input on either the powered speaker or the amp. If you're going into a MIC level input you'll still have another amping stage in the chain bringing up the noise floor or self-nose of any previous device.

Things like this are often...but not always...a GAIN STAGING issue. So...

Verify you're using the proper type of input. I don't think your amp has one, but the speaker (it would help if you'd identify it specifically instead of "speaker") most likely has either an input level switch OR two different inputs, one MIC and one LINE.

Good luck.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:19 PM

IIRC, the Gorack also has a mic/line level switch. Check that one also.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2017, 12:22 PM

Thanks Wyllys. I will check this out.

I just checked and there is no Mic/line switch on the powered speaker. The is a line in (1/4" in) and a mic in (xlr). Should I try a adapter to go into 1/4". I assume this is lower gain?

From what you are saying, it sounds like a gain issue?

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:43 PM

Sounds odd Marty. You might have a bad unit. Mine makes no noise when sitting idle. Also, you probably don't need the goRack with the TC Play Acoustic. It has plenty of preamp power alone. Unless you're trying to do something else.

Good luck
Old 04-16-2017, 01:04 PM

I wanted the gorack mainly for a little eq and feedback issues. I had a Small Mackie mixer on my pedalboard to eq the signal prior to the powered speakers, but it made the board so heavy. Thought about going with a smaller mixer, but can't find one with at least three bands of eq.

I figured for $30, why not give this a trial. Short of the hissing, it seems to work well.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:22 PM

Try the Go-rack by itself into the powered speaker. It might be a ground related issue. If the Go-rack is powered externally try lifting the signal grounds by activating the ground lift switches in each device.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:24 PM

Default For what it's worth . . .

I, too, am using a Play Acoustic into the GoRack into a powered speaker (Alto Trouper). I have no hiss, but I didn't have a lot of power for my guitar until I changed the input to "Mic" instead of "Line", since they are XLR to XLR (Play Acoustic to GoRack). This gave a lot more power, which could account for some hissing. However, I have never had any hissing.

Also, I have used the Play Acoustic alone for the past three years and it sounds great; however, I also started using the GoRack in the past year for feedback when I get stuck back in the corner. In comparing the two at home, I believe the GoRack really gives a smoother sound for both mic and guitar. I use the 7 setting (Acoustic) for the EQ.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:52 PM

Default Correction

Sorry, I had that backwards. Coming from the Play Acoustic, both inputs should be "Line".
Old 03-18-2018, 08:43 AM

hiss is usually gain staging. sometimes it could
be a treble setting as well. hum is usually ground issues.
So if it's a hiss make sure each input output levels are
set lower. start with the play acoustic . and work
toward the board turning down input/output settings until
the hiss goes away. check your treble settings on each
unit as well ... make sure nothing is cranked. including graphic eq on the board.
if you can think of an old tube amp where you turned down
the output and turned up the input to get that warm distortion. this is what you don't want.. ha.
no outputs to the next unit should be greater then the input
of the receiving unit in the signal chain.. hope i am making sense here.
Old 09-18-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrink View Post
I, too, am using a Play Acoustic into the GoRack into a powered speaker (Alto Trouper). I have no hiss, but I didn't have a lot of power for my guitar until I changed the input to "Mic" instead of "Line", since they are XLR to XLR (Play Acoustic to GoRack). This gave a lot more power, which could account for some hissing. However, I have never had any hissing.

Also, I have used the Play Acoustic alone for the past three years and it sounds great; however, I also started using the GoRack in the past year for feedback when I get stuck back in the corner. In comparing the two at home, I believe the GoRack really gives a smoother sound for both mic and guitar. I use the 7 setting (Acoustic) for the EQ.

Hello.. two questions about your setup.

1. Are you still using the play acoustic into the go rack?
2. Would you mind sharing your settings for your play acoustic? I just bought one to try and simplify my solo acoustic rig, and looking for a good starting point.

Cheers!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification