The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-14-2018, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Thanks BK & Murph! ...I got thick skin and I just try to enjoy playin' even when folks are yackin' it up. I do tho prefer the venues where the folks are there to hear music, more back n forth feedback & connection.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:19 PM

The track won't open (through this thread) for some reason - if I go to an older track and through my list of tracks, it opens...but not here...I don't have any messages or complaints. Don't know, computer says NO.

(I reloaded a new link form Soundcloud, no good).

BluesKing777.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:09 PM

I am just posting the same track to see if the bug is gone....

Appears to be working now in the first post. No idea what happened...

BluesKing777.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:05 PM
Guest 829

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
I keep talking about the fantastic pickup system in the new Maton acoustics - the Maton AP5-Pro with piezo undersaddle and condenser mic with preamp in the side of the guitar.

Here is my solo version of "Brain Damage" by Pink Floyd with the guitar plugged straight to my mixer and iMac, no other preamps or gadgets, no eq change, no reverb. My vocal is through my Neumann KM184 with reverb on the desk, so there is some spill from the guitar, but this is the best pickup sound I have played or heard direct.

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/braindamage7b

BluesKing777.
Got two Matons (808Artist and SRS8080) both have AP5-pro pickups in. I spent thousands on various guitar pickup combinations all the time ignoring my friends advice to “just get a Maton”. Never looked back - plug it into a desk or my Schertlers and voila - easy quick tone.

And I use them for songs and not shredding - definitely not a Tommy fan boy but respect his unbelievable ability.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by washy21 View Post
Got two Matons (808Artist and SRS8080) both have AP5-pro pickups in. I spent thousands on various guitar pickup combinations all the time ignoring my friends advice to “just get a Maton”. Never looked back - plug it into a desk or my Schertlers and voila - easy quick tone.

And I use them for songs and not shredding - definitely not a Tommy fan boy but respect his unbelievable ability.

Thanks Washy!

How do you compare the Artist and the SRS? Probably sound identical plugged?

I have played some dreadful Matons here and there over the years, but they were just bad setups and unloved, I guess.

A friend stopped by on his way home from a guitar shop a few years ago to show me his new solid wood Maton dread and at first I thought he may have been drinking..heavily.... but it was the SRS70c blackwood/sitka and it looked and played great....oh oh, plugged it in, wow! I didn’t want another dread, but when I saw someone talking about the TE and the (cheaper) SRS808....blackwood/cedar....well, it had to be mine!

I must catch up with the guy with the dread to see if his guitar and pickup sounds too much like mine......err....

BluesKing777.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:28 AM

Must be something about down under - Carlton Cole system is superb as well.
Martin J40
Old 03-17-2018, 04:06 PM
Guest 829

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Thanks Washy!

How do you compare the Artist and the SRS? Probably sound identical plugged?

I have played some dreadful Matons here and there over the years, but they were just bad setups and unloved, I guess.

A friend stopped by on his way home from a guitar shop a few years ago to show me his new solid wood Maton dread and at first I thought he may have been drinking..heavily.... but it was the SRS70c blackwood/sitka and it looked and played great....oh oh, plugged it in, wow! I didn’t want another dread, but when I saw someone talking about the TE and the (cheaper) SRS808....blackwood/cedar....well, it had to be mine!

I must catch up with the guy with the dread to see if his guitar and pickup sounds too much like mine......err....

BluesKing777.
They don’t sound identical both plugged or unplugged but they aren’t chalk and cheese. But I love them. The SRS808 is possibly better but it’s had far more playing.

I use Schertler amps.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification