The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-16-2018, 08:52 AM

Default Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive Mod anyone?

Last year I started using pedals when playing my acoustic. I do not use them a lot, but at times they are a lot of fun. I only use pedals when playing at home. When I play out it’s without any effects. I started out with what appear to be the ‘standard’ pedals for acoustic: reverb, chorus and delay. Recently I also added a phaser.

My next purchase will likely be and overdrive pedal. It seems that the Boss Blues Driver is a popular pedal among acoustic guitar players. They can easily be bought cheap since there are a lot of used Blues Drivers offered for sale. In an article on Guitar Chalk the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive Mod was listed as the best overdrive pedals for acoustic guitars. There is not much user info on this pedal however, so I was wondering if anyone here uses the Sparkle Drive Mod pedal and recommends it over the Boss (or Ibanez tube screamer or another popular overdrive).

My current signal chain is Larrivee OM-9 with a MISI piezo > LR Baggs Para DI > Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano > Boss CE-5 > Boss DD-7 > TC Electronics HOF2 > Boss RC-3 > Roland AC60. The pedals are powered by a T-REX Fuel Tank jr.

98 Taylor 414 E
06 self built classic
06 Larrivee OM-09 'Custom' (Madi) (since 2016)
06 Larrivee OM-09 MR (for DADGAD)
16 Fender elite stratocaster HSS
17 Recording King 'Dirty 1930's' single O

? Stagg stratocaster HSS
? Aria Sinsonido (Soloette copy)
0? self build OM in the making

Last edited by axmaster; 03-16-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:25 PM

I used an OCD which worked really well with a bags M1 soundhole pickup.
However I’ve switched to a Taylor with the ES2. Overdrive is much trickier with a UST or SBT. The Sparkle Drive Mod is really good at adding just enough overdrive with the clean blend. Works great
Old 03-16-2018, 12:53 PM

I would also recommend the OCD for that purpose. Sparkle
Drive would cut too much bass.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:50 PM

Thumbs up

I have the original Sparkle Drive; it works very well with acoustic guitar. I have a Taylor with an ES2 system that I use primarily. The SD adds just a bit of overdriven tone while. I wouldn’t hesitate to give one a try.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:51 AM

Thanks for the replies. A friend offered me to use his Blues Driver for a while, so I can learn what overdrive does to my playing. I'll see how that works out. Based on all the reviews an OCD is also a serious candidate, next to the Sparkle. It's hard to find a review of these pedals for acoustic guitars. There are enough reviews with electric guitars!

98 Taylor 414 E
06 self built classic
06 Larrivee OM-09 'Custom' (Madi) (since 2016)
06 Larrivee OM-09 MR (for DADGAD)
16 Fender elite stratocaster HSS
17 Recording King 'Dirty 1930's' single O

? Stagg stratocaster HSS
? Aria Sinsonido (Soloette copy)
0? self build OM in the making

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification