The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-22-2018, 02:31 PM

Default Help me pick an amp for my Godin A6 Ultra :)

Hello Everyone!

If anyone could give me some recommendations on which amp would go well with my A6 Ultra I would really appreciate it!

I used to play a Martin GPCPA3 and had a Loudbox mini for a few months. It sounded good at lower volumes, but I'm a heavy strummer and it couldn't stay clean at rehearsal volumes.

I also had an SR(can't remember the model) for a few months as I was selling it for a friend. Honestly wish I never sold it. Great sounding amp.

What I'm looking for:

- NICE sounding reverb.
- Proper 3 (or more) band EQ.
- DI out.
- Enough wattage/headroom to stay clean at a loud rehearsal.
- Compact and Portable.
- 500-700CAD
- I'm a very loud singer. Some people call it pitched yelling I plan to always run vox direct into the PA, but if you folks can recommend something that has enough headroom to handle very loud singing, and guitar at the same time I would definitely do the vox and guitar into the amp then dual DI out.

I currently play through an old red stripe Peavey Bandit with an ET90 in it. It's getting the job done, and I love the fact that it has real reverb, but of course it's an electric amp so it doesn't have the clarity and presence I'm looking for.

The Rosette is top of my list. Looks like it would be a buy once cry once kind of situation. Tons of power and way more features than I would ever need. I doubt I would ever have to upgrade. Bit over my budget though. My friend has also been pushing one of the Bose systems. I took a look at the L1 compact, and was a bit put off by the price especially since there isn't much of a mixer with it. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 01-22-2018, 02:39 PM

I play my Ultra through a passive DI into the PA I'm singing through. I've also played it through a Fishman mini and sang through it, and used the DI out to powered speakers.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:53 PM

I was recently recommended a Mackie Thump by a guy who gigs acoustics. He was raving about it, but I haven't had a chance to check it out. They've got them at Long & McQuade and there's a model that has inputs for both the guitar and mic. I'm not sure if it would be adequate for your needs with that guitar, but it might be worth a look.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:29 PM

Hey guys,

I was considering the DI path but I would need something with built in verb, and I don't have my PA at home to jam through. I would have to pickup something like a K8 in order to have a portable practice rig.

I had a set of Mackie thumps ages ago and they were awful. I currently have a pair of ELX115P speakers that I use for vocals but they are in the jam space, and are definitely not portable.

I've been researching the Rosette a bunch today and it seems like a pretty killer amp. Bit on the pricey side though.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks!
Old 01-22-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy_Narf View Post
Hey guys,

I was considering the DI path but I would need something with built in verb, and I don't have my PA at home to jam through. I would have to pickup something like a K8 in order to have a portable practice rig.

I had a set of Mackie thumps ages ago and they were awful. I currently have a pair of ELX115P speakers that I use for vocals but they are in the jam space, and are definitely not portable.

I've been researching the Rosette a bunch today and it seems like a pretty killer amp. Bit on the pricey side though.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks!
Thanks for the heads up on the Thumps. While you wait for your replies, what did you find awful about the Thump? I was going to check it out, but if they’re that bad, I won’t waste my time.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:50 AM

Cool My Mackie

The Mackie Thumper is a solid choice

So is the FreePlay for small rooms , it's surprisingly loud .

It's FX engine is solid too with three channels XLR/TRSX2 and AUX Stereo in or Bluetooth ,
1/4 mono out . IOS controlled too .

150 watts RMS [ 70 watts to the single 8" driver and 75 watts split in stereo to two super tweeters ] .

Can't loose @299.00 - add a lithium battery + 70 - floor stand , pole mount gig bag , etcetera , you can build on it .
It's a super clean FRFR set up with extremely low THD at full power too .

Use my acoustic electric Washburn rosewood D46SCE through it direct or through my
T.C. Helicon Voice Live 3 X , nice sound either way - super sounding with my T.C.H. VL3X .
It's also a great personal stage monitor too .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 01-23-2018, 10:11 AM

Oh boy the new one looks like a space ship!

The old version had an electronic gate to make it sound like they didn't hiss. Problem was that you couldn't adjust it so lots of tails/decay would be cut off. I used it for E drums at the time and it would always chop off the cymbals.

I'll check out this new one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification