The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-16-2014, 05:31 PM

Default Ladder braced question

Picked up a $5 tag sale Cort acoustic with the bridge ripped off. Decided to rebuild it with a ladder braced soundboard, intending to use a pattern similar to the old Sovereigns. There is no problem getting a curved radius in the soundboard, in the direction perpendicular to the strings, just curve the braces. But what does one do in the direction parallel to the strings to establish a curvature???
Old 11-16-2014, 05:42 PM

Contour the gluing surface of the sides to the desired curvature. Then glue the top to them, forcing the top to conform to the curvature dictated by the sides.

More difficult and involved than is sounds.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:09 PM

In these days of radius dishes and all round super precise building techniques my approach is going to be too simplistic for many, but I glue curved braces to the top and then glue the top to a flat kerfing surface with as many spool clamps as possible. It works for me.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
In these days of radius dishes and all round super precise building techniques my approach is going to be too simplistic for many, but I glue curved braces to the top and then glue the top to a flat kerfing surface with as many spool clamps as possible. It works for me.
Worked for Martin as well ... isn't that how all the great vintage guitars were made?
Old 11-17-2014, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Worked for Martin as well ... isn't that how all the great vintage guitars were made?
For the most part, the tops on vintage guitars were glued to a flat rim. A notable exception is Larson.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
This sounds good to me. Thanks all for your replies.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:57 AM

Realize if you do this you should also check the subsequent nech angle to ensure you have proper string height. It wouldn't be hard to effect a cylindrically shaped rim using a flat surface covered in sandpaper.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resodziadzu View Post
But what does one do in the direction parallel to the strings to establish a curvature???
Gluing a flat top, arched side to side, to flat rims/sides will leave the top flat along its length/parallel to the strings. If you are looking to create a curvature along the top's length, flat rims with a flat top won't accomplish that.

Whether you want or need a curvature along the length of the top is another question.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:53 AM

I don't put a curve in the top parallel to the strings but more of a cant or angle or dip from just north of the waist to the neck block. That way there is no fall away from the body fret joint to the end of the fretboard.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair