The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-12-2012, 10:22 PM

Default Can a pick guard be removed?

Hey everyone. I bought a Mcpherson with an after market pick guard on it put on by Randy Wood. It looks like it was put on very well, but i would like to remove it, if its possible. I find it more annoying than anything. Does anyone know?

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2012, 10:39 PM

Default Try this

I have removed a lot of pickguards in my time, and the easiest way is to use a gun-style hairdryer.

Start slowly, moved it all around the pickguard, from a fair distance - at least 6 inches. The pickguard will begin to heat up and the glue underneath will begin to soften.

Then move in a bit closer, so the pickguard becomes very warm. Then, aim toward the top of the pickguard and see if you can lift the top off a little, but do not force it.

Eventually, you will be able to peel the pickguard off, from the top down. Use the dryer on the underside of the part you have exposed. That will hasten things. But do not stop hitting the lower portion of the pickguard. Keep the dryer moving.

It will eventually all just peel off and then curl up when it's removed.

Do not try this with a Taylor pickguard. I have heard horror stories of people who have tried to remove one and ended up damaging the finish underneath.

But if it is, as you say, an after-market pickguard, then you should have no problems at all.

Good luck!
Old 02-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

A little dental floss can help the process...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-12-2012, 10:51 PM

Those are some creative techniques guys, thanks! I was actually thinking about just taking it down to Randy to get him to remove it. I dont want to take a show at hurting it
Old 02-12-2012, 10:58 PM
Eric Skye

Have done it many times with a hairdryer
Old 02-13-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMason View Post
I have removed a lot of pickguards in my time, and the easiest way is to use a gun-style hairdryer.

Start slowly, moved it all around the pickguard, from a fair distance - at least 6 inches. The pickguard will begin to heat up and the glue underneath will begin to soften.

Then move in a bit closer, so the pickguard becomes very warm. Then, aim toward the top of the pickguard and see if you can lift the top off a little, but do not force it.

Eventually, you will be able to peel the pickguard off, from the top down. Use the dryer on the underside of the part you have exposed. That will hasten things. But do not stop hitting the lower portion of the pickguard. Keep the dryer moving.

It will eventually all just peel off and then curl up when it's removed.

Do not try this with a Taylor pickguard. I have heard horror stories of people who have tried to remove one and ended up damaging the finish underneath.

But if it is, as you say, an after-market pickguard, then you should have no problems at all.

Good luck!
I have removed several over the past year or so using your described method with NO problems.. and JFYI.. I just last week removed an original Taylor pickguard from my 1996 Taylor 510... Problems NON.. same as all the others.. just take it easy...
Old 02-13-2012, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Go to Gibson acoustic guitar forum and read about using dental floss.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackisCountry View Post
Hey everyone. I bought a Mcpherson with an after market pick guard on it put on by Randy Wood. It looks like it was put on very well, but i would like to remove it, if its possible. I find it more annoying than anything. Does anyone know?

Thanks!
Randy if first rate. If you have any doubts, let him do it.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:30 PM
AGF Administrator

You'll find naptha or goo gone to be helpful in removing any residual adhesive after the pickguard is removed.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:49 PM

What does a McPherson with an aftermarket pickguard look like anyway?

I should be playing...

======

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion