The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-01-2017, 07:48 AM

Default Let 'em catch up...

I've been attending a Friday night jam for about 3 months now. It's usually about 10 old cowboy types in western hats and boots playing ancient country music. Each song begins with telling the key and you have the mic and sing your song.

I, being at least 10 years younger than the others, have been introducing some more recent songs into the repertoire. The performances have been less than stellar a number of times. I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. Instead of completely leading the way on songs I'm playing, I've been letting myself be derailed by listening to others struggling with the chord changes. I've even paused the singing to listen for everyone playing on the right chord.

Last night I approached it differently and it was great. I played my songs without hearing the others playing along. Concentrated fully on my own playing. Those who could keep up did so very well. The others just stopped playing along. The songs came out much better. I think I finally discovered the best way to participate in a jam!
Old 07-01-2017, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Default Let 'em catch up...

You fully embraced the job of leading the song in a circle.

It's a developed skill , easy or hard depends on the person.

Workshop circles are different than jam circles , and your first couple rounds were suitable for that concept , with planning and intent it can be fun too!

I love music circles , jams especially! They are so rewarding and their dynamic nature Makes the music mostly nicely unpredictable.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 07-01-2017, 08:03 AM

I've participated in hundreds of these circle jams over the years. There are all types of players there to be sure. I think your approach is best - don't try to teach the song while you're playing it. When you hesitate everyone else will too. I do similar things at some of our jams. I also like to introduce some new tunes from time to time.

First I give the key and tempo, then go through the chord changes slowly, singing the chord changes vs the lyrics. Then we go into the song, at a slower tempo than I usually do. I come from an orchestral and bluegrass background, so I tend to play a little too fast for others. Way too fast for people with less ability hearing a song for the first time.

One thing - especially if you are the new guy or the youngest one there - don't be the perennial jam-buster. Sprinkle in some easy and familiar two-chord tunes. Its not a jam if you play solo every time its your turn.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:09 PM

The one jam I attended for a few sessions (Kentucky Thumb Pickers) consisted of a circle of 10 chairs and a leader. He began the session and others followed as best they could. All held down the progression as each person took a turn at leading. Many vocally ceded is to the next person. It worked pretty well.

The sessions were 12-bar progressions. I think if I had stayed (moved away) I'd have seen the circle evolve to where everyone would be taking the lead.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKell View Post
I've been attending a Friday night jam for about 3 months now. It's usually about 10 old cowboy types in western hats and boots playing ancient country music. Each song begins with telling the key and you have the mic and sing your song.

I, being at least 10 years younger than the others, have been introducing some more recent songs into the repertoire. The performances have been less than stellar a number of times. I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. Instead of completely leading the way on songs I'm playing, I've been letting myself be derailed by listening to others struggling with the chord changes. I've even paused the singing to listen for everyone playing on the right chord.

Last night I approached it differently and it was great. I played my songs without hearing the others playing along. Concentrated fully on my own playing. Those who could keep up did so very well. The others just stopped playing along. The songs came out much better. I think I finally discovered the best way to participate in a jam!
What you've just described is exactly the lesson I learned from my earlier jams. When it's your turn to lead a song, it's important that you OWN the song. It's your lead so you set the tempo etc. Good on you.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
One thing - especially if you are the new guy or the youngest one there - don't be the perennial jam-buster. Sprinkle in some easy and familiar two-chord tunes. Its not a jam if you play solo every time its your turn.
Ha. I've done just that. Actually I was amazed at how many two chord songs there are in ancient country. They really like when I play Cocaine Blues by Johnny Cash. Very long song with two chords, except for the last line when a third one is played briefly. A few of the old guys were very happy when they finally landed on the third chord without losing time. We have an awesome old bass player who keeps the timing very consistent even though all sorts of variations in tempo seem to creep up. I look at playing with all these old guys as a course in where I'm gonna be in about 15 years. On guy stopped his song because he got a cramp in his shoulder halfway through it. A very genteel woman in her 80's is always there. She plays everything in A and NEVER changes chords correctly. She makes up for it though with an incredibly strong singing voice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write