The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-13-2013, 05:09 PM

Default D18 fretboard seesaw

Less than a year back from Nazareth where my '66 got a neck reset, I notice that the angle is so close to perfect that 11's produce just a slight buzz at the 3rd and 4th fret, B,G, and D strings. 12's play beautifully, even dropped a half step. Any less tension produces the buzz. There's the slightest dip in the neck at around the 3rd fret.

One thing that makes it a touch harder to play is that the height of the strings as they go through the nut grooves is pronounced above the fretboard and that makes 1st fret playing hard on the fingers.

Would you basement luthier types (like myself) shave the nut a c-hair to lower that height hoping the resulting straight line to the saddle would get you more comfortable first fret play without inducing the aforementioned buzz conditions?

Your hypothetical answers, ponderings, and drunken opinions are welcome.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:15 PM

I wouldn't change anything that's done by a professional technician, at least not with my high end guitars.
I'd have no problem messing around with my vintage Ibanez though, it allready had much abuse from an inexperienced basement luthier which almost resulted in complete disaster about 35 years ago.
I learned back then that it's probably not a good idea to to give the trussrod two full twists to lower the action. It did work though, lowest action I've ever seen on a guitar, it just didn't produce any sound anymore besides a rythmical scratchy sound. Percussionists might have loved it but for me it wasn't the sound I was looking for.
I'd try your changes on somebody else's guitar first, just don't be surprised when the friendship comes to an abrupt ending. But hey, if you have enough friends and/or guitars (and money) I'd definately give it a try, I mean what can go wrong eh?

Ludwig
Old 04-13-2013, 06:33 PM

There was a fairly extensive discussion on action, buzzing, and nut slot depth adjustment in a recent thread. Reading through to the end will yield some gained experience.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=290684

If your nut slots are not cut deep enough, the fretted notes will play sharper the closer you fret to the nut. Cutting their depth is done with files (or small saws) to a level that matches the plane of the frets, plus a couple hairs extra height.

Loosening the string tension (lighter strings) will straighten the neck slightly (and over-bow in some cases). The neck bow is an integral part of a proper setup, so this is why the lighter strings are causing buzzing. Properly done, every time you change string gauge you should reset the truss rod.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 04-14-2013, 03:15 AM

Thanks all...no truss rod adjustment on this, of course. I've been eyeing up a bone replacement from Stewmac for a while and am lucky enough to have a VG affordable local luthier. I feel it would be a little dopey to not put it in his hands first.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair