The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-23-2017, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Thanks so much, Barry!

The recording is into an old iphone with a cheap Tascam mic, then directly to sound cloud with no effects (cause I don't know how to do that, lol!). I've got the mic about 6 inches from the fretboard, around the 10th fret and the input turned all the way up.

Just starting to record myself, it sure is humbling. I suffer from "red light syndrome," I can feel myself choking when the machine is on! The good news is I am learning to play through my mistakes and keep the bass going which I tend not to do when just practicing.
And I'm sitting here with about $400 worth of recording junk - two mics and a usb device for input and I can't get as clean of a sound as you did with an old iphone...... Sometimes less is better!

Bob, record some practice sessions to get rid of redlight fear. I record using PC software so I will just hit the button and play a song several times and just cut out the ones that don't make the grade for saving. This sort of takes the pressure off as I don't have to get it right the first time.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Hi Barry,

It was just dumb luck that recording came out halfway decent. Most of them have been really bass heavy. So I just plopped it down a bit further from the sound hole on a very hard desk surface in my den (computer running loudly a foot away!) and it worked out. I have attached a picture of my "studio" LOL.

I am using a free app called voice record pro and I'm not sure I can edit. But I like your idea, I'll leave it on more often and hopefully forget about it. The mind is a funny thing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2653.jpg (27.5 KB, 47 views)
Old 06-24-2017, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Barry,

It was just dumb luck that recording came out halfway decent. Most of them have been really bass heavy. So I just plopped it down a bit further from the sound hole on a very hard desk surface in my den (computer running loudly a foot away!) and it worked out. I have attached a picture of my "studio" LOL.

I am using a free app called voice record pro and I'm not sure I can edit. But I like your idea, I'll leave it on more often and hopefully forget about it. The mind is a funny thing
Hey Bob,

I was thinking you might be able to upload your recording from your iphone to the cloud and then download it to your computer. Then use free software like Audacity to edit the mp3. You can import the mp3 into audacity and chop out the sections you don't want, then save it and then upload to soundcloud.

My SoundCloud page

Old 06-25-2017, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Hey Bob,

I was thinking you might be able to upload your recording from your iphone to the cloud and then download it to your computer. Then use free software like Audacity to edit the mp3. You can import the mp3 into audacity and chop out the sections you don't want, then save it and then upload to soundcloud.
Thanks Barry. I'm a complete novice at recording but it sounds like I might be able to pull it off
Old 06-25-2017, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Barry. I'm a complete novice at recording but it sounds like I might be able to pull it off
Before you start chopping, save the recording with a different name so in case you mess up you can restart. Audacity does have an undo feature though.

I started another Woody arrangement in open G Minnie's Spanish Blues I think is the name. Nice tune.

My SoundCloud page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write