The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-16-2013, 07:52 AM

Default Tuner rattle

Hi ,just done a string change on my martin d28 (grover tuners) got a bad rattle on the d string. I then changed the string still the same.when i shake the headstock it still seems to rattle.any help please ,thks dave
Old 04-16-2013, 08:58 AM

Try tightening the nuts against the face of the head to ensure the washers aren't lose.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:09 AM

Default Tuner rattle

Tried what you said charles rattle still.on d string.however when i tightened b string problem cured.just seems odd it was a different tuner i have checked them all .the guitars a year old.thank you for your help as you can see i'am a bit of a newbie at this ,many thks dave
Old 04-16-2013, 09:13 AM

there's a little screw at the end of the knob. aside from holding it on, it also serves to adjust the backlash on the worm. check for looseness here as well.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave 57 View Post
tried what you said charles rattle still.on d string.however when i tightened b string problem cured.just seems odd it was a different tuner i have checked them all .the guitars a year old.thank you for your help as you can see i'am a bit of a newbie at this ,many thks dave
tried what you said problem still there .so i checked all tuners . The b string seemed a bit loose .problem cured .just seemed strange the cure was on a different tuner.charles thank you for help.you might have guessed i'am a bit of newbie at this.the martins a year old so i suppose than can loosen up.thks again dave
Old 04-16-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE 57 View Post
Tried what you said charles rattle still.on d string.however when i tightened b string problem cured.just seems odd it was a different tuner i have checked them all .the guitars a year old.thank you for your help as you can see i'am a bit of a newbie at this ,many thks dave
The whole guitar vibrates, not just a single string and what attaches that string. It is not at all surprising that something seemingly un-related would vibrate as well.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:19 AM

Just for kicks, Switch it with the A tuner and string it back up and see if it still rattles. I wonder if it is a worn tuner if having a higher tension string on it might help.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair