The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-06-2013, 04:45 PM

Default Question about neck separation

I just received my new Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo and it's amazing, totally love it! Upon close inspection I see a very tiny amount of space between the body and where the neck (shoulder?) attaches. It's less than a millimeter gap, and not all the way from top to bottom. There is a more complete attachment towards the bottom of this piece. I compared it to my other 3 acoustics and they all have glossy finishes and that area is covered with the gloss, so I can't tell what kind of attachment there is between the wood. Is this small gap normal? Acceptable? A problem? Need to be repaired or exchanged?

Old 04-06-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolFC View Post
I just received my new Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo and it's amazing, totally love it! Upon close inspection I see a very tiny amount of space between the body and where the neck (shoulder?) attaches
I've need the heel pulled away a bit on 1 or 2 guitars thorugh the years but never near the fingerboard. If there's a Seagull service shop near you maybe no problem but since it's brand new, personally I'd ship it back to the seller.

Last edited by tomana; 04-06-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:36 PM

No shop nearby. The seller was an eBay store...
Old 04-06-2013, 10:13 PM

That guitar has a bolt-on neck and a very thin lacquer finish, so that may not be a problem other than cosmetics. I have two Seagulls and neither show that gap, though. How's the neck angle?

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 04-07-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
That guitar has a bolt-on neck and a very thin lacquer finish, so that may not be a problem other than cosmetics. I have two Seagulls and neither show that gap, though. How's the neck angle?
I think the angle is pretty good, no noticeable issue with it to me.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:44 PM

I don't see a problem, but a luthier could look at it in person and give you a second opinion or you could contact Seagull directly to gain some peace of mind. I can't see a gap on my two Seagulls, but there is one there apparently. I just tried, and I can slip the corner of a piece of tissue paper in there but not a piece of notebook paper. My S12 is five years old, and I think if it were a problem it probably would have manifested by now.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 04-07-2013, 07:08 PM

I just double checked my 4 Seagulls, my mini jumbo has a slight gap like the one you show. I bought it new a year and a half ago, it's not an issue at all on this guitar, plays like a dream and the neck is secure. It's my best Seagull. My two folk models have no gap and a Cedar top S6 I just rescued from the local guitar shop has no gap. Personally, I'd send those pictures to Seagull (Godin) and ask them why it has a gap and see what they say. They usually respond within a day or two.

SteveH

Taylor 414CE Ltd Redwood Sinker
Martin 00-15M
Seagull Performer CW MJ Flame Maple
Seagull S6+CW Folk GT 05 Limited Edition Burgundy
Seagull S6+CW Folk GT 05 Limited Edition Blue
Oscar Schmidt Sovereign Mahogany a 1932 Model #5077
Campbell American Transitone (electric)
Ibanez SR650 Bass, natural finish ash
Yamaha SC400 natural finish ash
Old 04-07-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfarm View Post
I just double checked my 4 Seagulls, my mini jumbo has a slight gap like the one you show. I bought it new a year and a half ago, it's not an issue at all on this guitar, plays like a dream and the neck is secure. It's my best Seagull. My two folk models have no gap and a Cedar top S6 I just rescued from the local guitar shop has no gap. Personally, I'd send those pictures to Seagull (Godin) and ask them why it has a gap and see what they say. They usually respond within a day or two.
Sent in an email yesterday, hopefully they will respond tomorrow or Tuesday. I'll update this thread when I get a response. Thanks all!
Old 04-07-2013, 10:08 PM

If it's a new Seagull it does not have a bolt-on neck, it has a set epoxied neck with a mortise and long tenon joint. There is no epoxy between the heel and the body of the guitar, however--the heel is totally unattached. Since it's epoxied, that neck is not going anywhere and neither is the heel; if you like the guitar as much as you say, then I wouldn't worry about it. If for some weird reason the gap ever grew, it would be covered by Godin's lifetime warranty and they'd have to give you a new guitar since they can't reset the neck (easily or affordably, anyway).
Old 04-08-2013, 05:20 AM

I must have missed that change in construction. When did they switch to a set neck?

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair