The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-28-2017, 02:06 PM

I would have to agree with what others have said about goals/milestones. From my experience, without them I had no way of telling whether I had reached a milestone or not, especially if it was a generic one. In order for me to gauge where I was and am with my playing, I had to set specific goals and milestones as opposed to generalities.

There are plenty of online guitar learning sites that walk one through nearly all aspects of playing and each of these is broken down into sections that I suppose you could use as generic milestones but each site essentially has its own structure and milestones, not to mention each instructor on these sites has his/her own structure or milestones to gauge your progress making it somewhat impossible to establish one list of milestones that could be cast in stone.

For me and my playing, I essentially had to use all the resources available to me, this forum included, to establish my own curriculum to determine if I am a freshman, sophomore, junior, etc. if you will. Since my long term goal/milestone is to be able to call myself a singer/songwriter, I had to establish a curriculum of short term goals to get there. So my generic curriculum includes learning chords, embellishments, strumming, rhythm, theory, composition, etc. and doesn't include learning every scale under the sun. Your's may, mine just doesn't. Am I going to be a 100% well rounded player? No; and I am fine with that. Does my generic list of milestones include everything a guitarist needs to know? Again no, but some things currently aren't important to me and if something pops up that I need to learn, then I will adjust my milestones.

With all that said, I think a generic list of milestones or checklist is a personal thing and is established by one's self with one's goals in mind.

George
Old 08-28-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveCorduroy View Post
I would have to agree with what others have said about goals/milestones. From my experience, without them I had no way of telling whether I had reached a milestone or not, especially if it was a generic one. In order for me to gauge where I was and am with my playing, I had to set specific goals and milestones as opposed to generalities.

There are plenty of online guitar learning sites that walk one through nearly all aspects of playing and each of these is broken down into sections that I suppose you could use as generic milestones but each site essentially has its own structure and milestones, not to mention each instructor on these sites has his/her own structure or milestones to gauge your progress making it somewhat impossible to establish one list of milestones that could be cast in stone.

For me and my playing, I essentially had to use all the resources available to me, this forum included, to establish my own curriculum to determine if I am a freshman, sophomore, junior, etc. if you will. Since my long term goal/milestone is to be able to call myself a singer/songwriter, I had to establish a curriculum of short term goals to get there. So my generic curriculum includes learning chords, embellishments, strumming, rhythm, theory, composition, etc. and doesn't include learning every scale under the sun. Your's may, mine just doesn't. Am I going to be a 100% well rounded player? No; and I am fine with that. Does my generic list of milestones include everything a guitarist needs to know? Again no, but some things currently aren't important to me and if something pops up that I need to learn, then I will adjust my milestones.

With all that said, I think a generic list of milestones or checklist is a personal thing and is established by one's self with one's goals in mind.

George
This is exactly what I did. This is quite a different perspective from one where you might want to pick a list of songs you want to copy so that you can perform them.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write