The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-08-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstuartev View Post
Find the one with the missing B string pole and you are REALLY authentic. These scream. Stick one in a 100 dollar Harmony H-165 (hog top) and it kills the blues. Real Lightnin' HOpkins tone.

I have been using DeArmond 210s since the 1960s. I have one of each of the three versions and agree, I like the one with the hidden B pole the best.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
It'll come as soon as you apologize for shilling that 125th Anny... See it's all in the perspective...
It's not mine buddy, it's another forum members who don't know from Adam. Go ahead. A simple, I was wrong will do.

There's a lot of talk about blues guitars. I'll rely on what i do to justify my approach. This picture was from last night. The short guy in the red shirt is 84 year old Eddie Tigner, played piano with Elmore James back in the days, also the Ink Spots for 30 some years. Tonight we'll play together again, like we do every Sunday night. Seeyas, on my way to do more than just talk about guitars,...

Old 08-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

The Santa Cruz 1929 all-mahogany guitar would be a wonderful blues guitar -- a little expensive, of course, but first rate guitar all around. Acoustic Guitar Magazine did a review of this guitar recently and loved it. http://www.acousticguitar.com/articl...rticleid=24813

An old Gibson LG type guitar is way cheaper and also works well. My wife's old 1965 LG-0 is all-mahogany is works for blues very well. For my tastes, I think I'd prefer an X-braced LG-2 or LG-3 (the LG-0 and LG-1 are ladder braced), but that's just me.

Clapton has done a nice job with a 000-28EC, but I have heard some very nice stuff from Howard Emerson (a member here on the AGF) using various old Gibsons as well as a Martin 000-18. I have heard Pete Hutlinger play some very nice blues stuff on his Collings OM1A (adi over mahogany). Tommy Emmanuel plays some nice blues on his OM style Maton.

So as others have noted, you can play blues on all kinds of guitars, but of course some guitars sound better and maybe feel better to different players than others. Good luck in your search -- it sounds like fun.

Regards, Glenn
Old 08-08-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkgtr View Post
It's not mine buddy, it's another forum members who don't know from Adam. Go ahead. A simple, I was wrong will do.
You may be too sensitive for the internet... I stated my honest opinion. You know the real value of the Washburn but inflated to be nice to a seller on the forum, but unfortunately that does a disservice to all who may be considering buying one. I'm comfortable with what I did. And apparently I'm not the only one who feels the way I do...

Name dropping... Nice... I could do the same. Played for 30 years in the S.F. Bay Area... Small community compared to some places. But I learned a long time ago, that me talking about them means nothing. If they don't name check you?
Old 08-08-2010, 10:20 PM

You guys pissing on each other is another form of "the blues." Let it go. Life is too short for us to remain children the entire time.

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriPicker View Post
You guys pissing on each other is another form of "the blues." Let it go. Life is too short for us to remain children the entire time.
I'm done... I guess I was weakened when I used all my self control not going on an "old white guys wearing fedoras and playing the blues" rant earlier on in this thread... Which I must say is my second favorite rant right after "old guys playing surf music and wearing Hawaiin shirts" rant...
Old 08-09-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofapco View Post
Reminder to get a fedora so I can tweak people like you when I play the blues...

signed.... an old white guy...
You get the hat and I'll P.M. you a pic of my hawaiin shirts
Old 08-09-2010, 10:23 AM

My 'blues guitar' is a '51 Harmony f-hole acoustic archtop. I put a pickup from an old Teisco Del Ray in the neck position and a volume pot I had floating around in my junk drawer. I've had it since the early 80s. Recently I pulled the back off to fix a few top cracks and reglue a rattling tone bar. After I put it all back together the action had lowered about 1/16th of an inch. I guess I did an inadvertant 'slip the block' neck reset.
I shaved the neck down years ago. It still has a pretty strong V shape, but it no longer has that baseball bat feel that some of those old Harmonys and Kays have.
That Teisco pickup is pretty microphonic - you can sing through it if you want - but it has a funky tone that I like very much.
I play fingerstyle Piedmont ragtime/blues stuff mostly and it really gets the job done, tone-wise.
I also like to wear my fedora and a Hawaiin shirt while I play it.

Rev George
Old 08-09-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevGeo View Post
I also like to wear my fedora and a Hawaiin shirt while I play it.

Rev George
I'm more on the cutting edge... I wear cuban shirts... Check out Cuba Vera... widely available at ross, marshall, and T.J. Max!
Old 08-09-2010, 12:39 PM

Default and...

I agree with the post that stated that you can play blues on any guitar...I have heard them played on a classical guitar and it sounded killer.

Having said that, there are a few other considerations: 1) what kind of blues are you going to play? Piedmont, Mississippi John Hurt - not really delta, not really piedmont, just a class all his own. Delta - a world of tones to choose from here. Lonnie Johnson - smooth, delicate and beautiful. Big Bill Broonzy -showing the guitar whose boss. 2) What can you play and by that I mean, do you know what nut width works for you? Does 12 frets sound better to you, than 14? Short scale versus long? Do you know what style of neck you play better or best on? Are you partial to fingertips versus fingerpicks? Do you prefer a flatpick and alternate pick. Do you do both? 3) Tone - don't know how to advise you here, you will know it when you hear it, but keep in mind string type, tonewoods (do you like Rosewood or Mahogany) and many other factors (like your technique) can play a part in tone, and 4) what can you afford? You could benefit by playing as many guitars as you can and demo each one using a favorite tune that you play consistently so as to get a sense of what each sounds like. Take a friend and have them play and you listen.

I like older Gibson products for acoustic blues. And recently have come to appreciate Martin 000/0M mahogany/spruce as well. Custom wise, SCGC 1929, the Model H and the Greven L-00v are nice (in point of fact, just spectacular) but not all of us can afford it, don't be afraid of the imports - Recording King makes some very nice 12 fret 000s. Don't forget Loar - the LH 200 and Morgan Monroe, they also make both solid wood and laminate instruments for traditional and/or acoustic blues.

I would think that the longer you play, you will define what sounds right to you and this will lead in time to the guitar that works for you. It may end up being a couple of guitars and that would just be a tragedy!

john

Martin OM-15m custom

Opinions subject to change due to experience...
Old 08-09-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho John View Post
Having said that, there are a few other considerations: 1) what kind of blues are you going to play? Piedmont, Mississippi John Hurt - not really delta, not really piedmont, just a class all his own. Delta - a world of tones to choose from here. Lonnie Johnson - smooth, delicate and beautiful. Big Bill Broonzy -showing the guitar whose boss. 2) What can you play and by that I mean, do you know what nut width works for you? Does 12 frets sound better to you, than 14? Short scale versus long? Do you know what style of neck you play better or best on? Are you partial to fingertips versus fingerpicks? Do you prefer a flatpick and alternate pick. Do you do both? 3) Tone - don't know how to advise you here, you will know it when you hear it, but keep in mind string type, tonewoods (do you like Rosewood or Mahogany) and many other factors (like your technique) can play a part in tone, and 4) what can you afford? You could benefit by playing as many guitars as you can and demo each one using a favorite tune that you play consistently so as to get a sense of what each sounds like. Take a friend and have them play and you listen.
Well, I addressed some of this already. I want to play Delta and Texas (country) blues. I am really aiming for a more hollow sound, almost ghostly if possible. I know I prefer 1-3/4" nuts with a 12-fret body and a shorter scale. I play with fingertips, though I might be investing in some fingerpicks soon. Tone wise, I am searching for that great unknown. The same tone that is found when that "one guitar" is discovered. Some say that it is a trademark of Gibson, where one guitar will truly stand out above everything else. I know that I prefer mahogany, obviously my signature demonstrates that, but I know that other woods can be very similar. Plus, I have only limited experience with spruce tops since I only had an OM-21 and my father's 000-18 to gain knowledge from. Finally, my budget is currently non-existent since I got the 00-15 so recently and I have limited myself. However, I am looking for knowledge to guide my future ideals and research.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Quote:
Nothing personal, but it kills me that folks drop $3K on a copy of a guitar that cost six bucks back then. You can find a used brass National tricone for half that, and it cost $125 when that stella cost $6. Now I know that comparison is irrelevant, and that you're buying a "custom" guitar in every sense of the word with the ladder reproductions, but a $3K stella? Really?

Lordy, gotta admit I was thinking the same thing (although when the Tricones came out they were only around $65.00).
Ha! That was when a 4 bedroom house sold for 5K too!

Oh, wait, that's pretty near what they're selling for now..... nevermind...
Old 08-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You may be too sensitive for the internet... I stated my honest opinion. You know the real value of the Washburn but inflated to be nice to a seller on the forum, but unfortunately that does a disservice to all who may be considering buying one. I'm comfortable with what I did. And apparently I'm not the only one who feels the way I do...

Name dropping... Nice... I could do the same. Played for 30 years in the S.F. Bay Area... Small community compared to some places. But I learned a long time ago, that me talking about them means nothing. If they don't name check you?
Here's my read. You trolled for an emotional response with a childish dig at my personal instrument choice and stupidly and egotistically offered me alternatives. I happen to be proud of my relationship with John How, and I love the guitar. I fell for it.

Playing video games in the S.F. Bay Area doesn't impress me, nor does your snide manor.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:08 PM

On Ebay right now... Real deal. Not saying it's a great deal... who knows where it will end in price and how much work it needs, But cheese on toast! It's certainly worth putting in the work...
Old 08-09-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
On Ebay right now... Real deal. Not saying it's a great deal... who knows where it will end in price and how much work it needs, But cheese on toast! It's certainly worth putting in the work...
Wow! Any links to the auction?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion