The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-23-2023, 11:19 AM

Default Neck Reset for a 1983 Yamaha 12 string

I have been reading about whether a neck reset would change the sound on a guitar. So far, I've only read about vintage martins that have a lighter bracing having a noticeable sound change. I've also read about guild guitars being improved after a reset, but guild has the right idea when it comes to 12 strings in my opinion. I have also read about how after the reset the sound will brighten slightly because of the string height or something. But I haven't read anything about yamahas from the 80s.

What I want to know is whether a 1983 Yamaha 12 string would sound different after a neck reset. I am very fond of this guitar and like the sound it has now, but it is very difficult to play certain songs on it. The sound is very rich and warm currently (new strings last summer). There is about 4 millimeters of bellying on it last time I measured. I play with a capo and have it tuned down half a step to E flat to help. (D is too low for this guitar. It takes all the brightness away.)
Old 04-25-2023, 01:50 AM

Default Difficult to say…

But a neck reset will change the string height above the soundboard and therefore the rotational forces at play on the bridge. Both of which can affect the way an instrument sounds.

Any change could potentially be an improvement or otherwise, but if the instrument is difficult to play then it’s unlikely to get played. So a neck reset becomes the only solution.

Others with more expertise may chime in, but I’ve heard that on these older Yamahas neck resets can be a challenge. The joint, but particularly the glue used, can make it difficult to open the joint.
Old 04-25-2023, 07:53 AM

It most likely will change the tone of the instrument. A neck reset is essentially changing it back to it's original design which as mentioned means the string height over the soundboard at the bridge increases.

Neck resets are not done for the purpose of changing the tone though, that's just the side effect of doing it. In theory it changes the tone for the better but what happens is that players who have owned their guitar for a long time get used to the erosion of tone slowly over time as the guitar deforms into needing a neck reset.

So if you like the tone now and it's still reasonably playable then you might consider just leaving it. But 12's are hard enough to play with good action so at some point you have no choice.

Most, if not all, people eventually get used to the change in tone. Some don't even recognize it.
Old 04-25-2023, 04:51 PM

I bought it used with the high action, before I knew about neck resets and other repairs. A neck reset around me would cost around $500. That price could very easily help me get a new 12 string. (maybe a guild or another solid top yamaha) I just don't want to get it done and realize that I have made a mistake. My local technician suggested I re-hydrate the guitar. It is a solid top guitar, so it might work. I have a little sponge humidifier that he recommended.
Old 04-28-2023, 08:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12stringaddict View Post
I have been reading about whether a neck reset would change the sound on a guitar. So far, I've only read about vintage martins that have a lighter bracing having a noticeable sound change. I've also read about guild guitars being improved after a reset, but guild has the right idea when it comes to 12 strings in my opinion. I have also read about how after the reset the sound will brighten slightly because of the string height or something. But I haven't read anything about yamahas from the 80s.

What I want to know is whether a 1983 Yamaha 12 string would sound different after a neck reset. I am very fond of this guitar and like the sound it has now, but it is very difficult to play certain songs on it. The sound is very rich and warm currently (new strings last summer). There is about 4 millimeters of bellying on it last time I measured. I play with a capo and have it tuned down half a step to E flat to help. (D is too low for this guitar. It takes all the brightness away.)
In case you did NOT see this particular article, it may help you make a decision. By the way, if I were you I WOULD tune it down a whole step but perhaps put in a different saddle material and slightly lighter bass wound strings.

Here's the link:https://yamahavintagefg.boards.net/t...eset-procedure

HE
Old 04-28-2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12stringaddict View Post
I just don't want to get it done and realize that I have made a mistake.
If you have the neck re-set and find you dislike how it sounds you can sell it. I'm sure an old yamaha 12 with a recently reset neck wouldn't be too difficult to sell.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair